[Official] Chromebook SG

rahulk

Reaction score
For those who have gotten or are gonna get a new chromebook... at least how many years more of google updates would u wan it to receive before its AUE date arrives?
Last time I bought one, I was looking for at least 5-6 Years. Usually that is the duration when one of hardware components shows signs of failure.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just installed chrome os flex on my current computer which I had gotten abt 3 yrs ago IIRC... so far it seems fine... let's see how it goes...

Last time I bought one, I was looking for at least 5-6 Years. Usually that is the duration when one of hardware components shows signs of failure.
U mean that is also usually the time when some part of the hardware konks out? R u referring to laptops in general or just chromebooks?

rahulk

Reaction score
I just installed chrome os flex on my current computer which I had gotten abt 3 yrs ago IIRC... so far it seems fine... let's see how it goes...

U mean that is also usually the time when some part of the hardware konks out? R u referring to laptops in general or just chromebooks?
Referring to the laptops in general. Mainly battery life suffers due to aging. Finding authentic first party replacement batteries is also not easy many years after the device release.

Last edited:

rahulk

Reaction score
What made you choose ChromeOS Flex over some normal linux distro? Is it because of better integration with the phone? I thought Android Apps and Linux beta is not available on flex so it's not that useful.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What made you choose ChromeOS Flex over some normal linux distro? Is it because of better integration with the phone? I thought Android Apps and Linux beta is not available on flex so it's not that useful.
Haha I dunno man... I just followed the crowd I guess... so u're saying Chrome OS Flex doesn't enable use of Android apps from Playstore?

Saw this...
https://beebom.com/how-install-chrome-os-on-pc/

rahulk

Reaction score
Haha I dunno man... I just followed the crowd I guess... so u're saying Chrome OS Flex doesn't enable use of Android apps from Playstore?

Saw this...
https://beebom.com/how-install-chrome-os-on-pc/
Yup Chrome OS Flex doesn't support Android apps. Even Linux is supported on only on certain models.

Looks like the method to install the full version of Chrome OS. Does the processor version need to match one of the known Chromebooks?

Chrome OS Flex should be more stable than this.

Last edited:

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup Chrome OS Flex doesn't support Android apps. Even Linux is supported on only on certain models.

Looks like the method to install the full version of Chrome OS. Does the processor version need to match one of the known Chromebooks?

Chrome OS Flex should be more stable than this.
Haha I'm very un-tech savvy... even the Chrome OS Flex was I got my brother to install it for me wan haha..

rahulk

Reaction score
Haha I'm very un-tech savvy... even the Chrome OS Flex was I got my brother to install it for me wan haha..
Haha that's okay. I actually find Chromebooks ideal for basic home usage. Only problem is I got an Arm Chromebook. While 2in1 and battery life is good, performance is worse with newer chrome OS after the upgrades.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha that's okay. I actually find Chromebooks ideal for basic home usage. Only problem is I got an Arm Chromebook. While 2in1 and battery life is good, performance is worse with newer chrome OS after the upgrades.
ARM chromebooks are those that use MTK chips is it?

rahulk

Reaction score
ARM chromebooks are those that use MTK chips is it?
Yup. Mine is Lenovo C330. There are newer ones with Snapdragon chips now.

ARM chips are ideal for Android Apps as they can run almost natively. Unfortunately, there could be some potential Linux compatibility issues with ARM chips

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, I dug high and low everywhere for Chromebooks and came to one conclusion:
- SG will never be a good market for electronics

Wonder wwhat the kids at school are using for their CBs... anyway, I am eyeing a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 10.1" from Amazon. There's a newer version (Duet 3) that came out few weeks ago but I will settle for this 2020 version. Still got AUP until 2028 lol.

Every other decent-ish option is way too expensive (I only want to spend max $400 on this). I like everything bout it so far EXCEPT that lone USB-C port when every other ** has a few ports. From how I see it, this will be more like a ChromeOS "tablet" with a keyboard accessory lol.

caterham7

Master Member
Reaction score
wow, I dug high and low everywhere for Chromebooks and came to one conclusion:
- SG will never be a good market for electronics

Wonder wwhat the kids at school are using for their CBs... anyway, I am eyeing a Lenovo Chromebook Duet 10.1" from Amazon. There's a newer version (Duet 3) that came out few weeks ago but I will settle for this 2020 version. Still got AUP until 2028 lol.

Every other decent-ish option is way too expensive (I only want to spend max $400 on this). I like everything bout it so far EXCEPT that lone USB-C port when every other ** has a few ports. From how I see it, this will be more like a ChromeOS "tablet" with a keyboard accessory lol.
singapore is good market for electronics, just not for chromebooks

if u do not need tablet form-factor, can also consider this lenovo chromebook below, cheaper, more ports and nicer to type on
$180
https://www.amazon.sg/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Webcam-Chrome-82BA0000US/dp/B089T5V5FX
p.s. such models from amazon, no local warranty

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
singapore is good market for electronics, just not for chromebooks

if u do not need tablet form-factor, can also consider this lenovo chromebook below, cheaper, more ports and nicer to type on
$180
https://www.amazon.sg/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Webcam-Chrome-82BA0000US/dp/B089T5V5FX
p.s. such models from amazon, no local warranty

I didn't get the 10.1"duet in the end because I read even more reviews and lost confidence in the Helio (tbh I've used them in phones and I guess G95 or G96 might be good but not a P60T)...

have you personally used that 11" model? ... I am trying to stay away from all Intel Celeron and Pentium SoCs. Read that they're terrible and it disgusts me a bit ;brands are still selling laptops with those SoCs lol?

so, back in circles again. maybe just not meant to get Chromebook bah. although the Windows laptop scene looks equally laughable. refurbished/used might be the only way out

caterham7

Master Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the 10.1"duet in the end because I read even more reviews and lost confidence in the Helio (tbh I've used them in phones and I guess G95 or G96 might be good but not a P60T)...

have you personally used that 11" model? ... I am trying to stay away from all Intel Celeron and Pentium SoCs. Read that they're terrible and it disgusts me a bit ;brands are still selling laptops with those SoCs lol?

so, back in circles again. maybe just not meant to get Chromebook bah. although the Windows laptop scene looks equally laughable. refurbished/used might be the only way out
I have a acer chromebook with n3350 and a acer chromebook tab with Rockchip OP1 (RK3399). Both are relatively slow but usable.

Maybe good for you to highlight your usage requirements, then some of us can suggest whether chrome os is suitable in the first place or not

Sauron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lenovo flex 5 is a very good choice but need to increase your budget.

Difficult to get chromebooks locally and very limited choice. I got mine from overseas.

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a acer chromebook with n3350 and a acer chromebook tab with Rockchip OP1 (RK3399). Both are relatively slow but usable.

Maybe good for you to highlight your usage requirements, then some of us can suggest whether chrome os is suitable in the first place or not

I see. Sorry I only have had experiences with MacBooks and my current desktop which I bought used off on Carousell,. it has an i5-4460U which I only know what that means, but it runs great and I lvoe it. so I guess that's my benchmark? but i'm worried a 4th gen on desktop would be different from a laptop just cos of space/enclosure/heat, etc.

for usage honestly nothing much. I'm planning to use this for casual bed side like scrolling articles if I can't sleep and, connecting it via Chromecast to my TV. I might do random spreadsheets to calculate budgets/finances but nothing too heavy.

heavy apps would be chrome, vlc/media players, torrents (oops?), streaming sites. I MIGHT want to also convert some video files here and there (e.g. convert WMV to MP4, which seems to be horrendously slow for this desktop).

I don't need a mega ton of storage cos i have tons of portable disks around, and not a stickler for speakers since i use earphones most the time.

my worry with the celeron etc is just the lag and time-to-wait. i know my tasks/asks are not intense, but i HATE it when chrome lags or when i see the stupid blue circle etc

caterham7

Master Member
Reaction score
based on what u mentioned, maybe a windows device is better suited

fyi chromebook generally only use browser; yes can use some android apps or some linux programs, but those are not 100% seamless

waterballoon

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
based on what u mentioned, maybe a windows device is better suited

fyi chromebook generally only use browser; yes can use some android apps or some linux programs, but those are not 100% seamless
thanks`~ but with winows lagi worse i see so many celeron/plentium models flying around and they're not cheap! buy laptop really more tiring than buy anything else. so many variants etc to consider.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks`~ but with winows lagi worse i see so many celeron/plentium models flying around and they're not cheap! buy laptop really more tiring than buy anything else. so many variants etc to consider.
latest gen of celeron quite fast like n5100 is faster than i3 7100u

dont limit youself to chromebook. last time chromebook worth due to price, like less than $300 you can get a fhd ips chromrbook. now windows laptop are cheap too.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.0Ox4Z

Racking2322

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
latest gen of celeron quite fast like n5100 is faster than i3 7100u

dont limit youself to chromebook. last time chromebook worth due to price, like less than $300 you can get a fhd ips chromrbook. now windows laptop are cheap too.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.0Ox4Z
when it's about $700 or more, get windows. no chromebook is worth $700 cos of limitations. sub $500 less can buy chromebook cos while windows laptop can be at this price, it's also slow as windows need good specs to run well.

currently have 2 **- lenovo ideapad 3 on mediatek and hp x2 11 Snapdragon. Mediatek is slower but usable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.