Official EDMW Casio G-Shock Watch Owners Club. - Part 2

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, can I check where to get battery replacement for G-Shock? Mine is G-5600E. The watch about $160 I check Shopee. But battery replacement got quoted $55.
o_O
The battery indicator is at M now but last few days it was flashing LOW. Thanks.

G5600 is solar powered... Change battery? I have the same watch for 11 years...

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Gdx-100 cheap cheap. Dun say no sic lobang
YOp7bL6.jpeg

chromehead

Banned
Reaction score
the g5600 rechargeable batt will wear out.

online cheapest i can find is $18 for that panasonic CTL1616 batt.
best is don't use bare hands to touch the battery (use tweezers or wear finger cots) to reduce chance of battery corrosion. my last replacement corroded

swapping the solar batt is no different from regular coin batt,
just the usual watch out for the micro springs,
reset the AC,
don't over tighen and strip the case threads,
make sure to never stretch the gasket especially if re-greasing it and seat the gasket properly before closing.

g-5600 with time will also have fog buildup between the mineral glass and solar panel assembly. wiping the 'glass' from the inside of the case will do nothing as you are still only wiping the rear of the transparent part of the solar panel assembly.
can only wipe the fog off when you pop the mineral glass out from the front due to the way it assembles.

the +ve b5600 are good stuff, much sharper than the old G-5600e...
the recently refreshed G-5600U that uses LED now should be good as well if cheaper than B5600

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
the g5600 rechargeable batt will wear out.
online cheapest i can find is $18 for that panasonic CTL1616 batt.
best is don't use bare hands to touch the battery (use tweezers or wear finger cots) to reduce chance of battery corrosion. my last replacement corroded
swapping the solar batt is no different from regular coin batt,
just the usual watch out for the micro springs,
reset the AC,
don't over tighen and strip the case threads,
make sure to never stretch the gasket especially if re-greasing it and seat the gasket properly before closing.
g-5600 with time will also have fog buildup between the mineral glass and solar panel assembly. wiping the 'glass' from the inside of the case will do nothing as you are still only wiping the rear of the transparent part of the solar panel assembly.
can only wipe the fog off when you pop the mineral glass out from the front due to the way it assembles.
the +ve b5600 are good stuff, much sharper than the old G-5600e...
the recently refreshed G-5600U that uses LED now should be good as well if cheaper than B5600
My g-5600e already 12 years. No point salvaging it... Might as well let it retire. You also say can't wipe away the fog...

Bought gw-b5600mg cos it's cheap! $118 only with the fancy features and white backlight! Iirc I got my g-5600e ard $100+ too back then.

Din know about g-5600u, will Google for it. Led? Or lcd??

Edit: Got gw-b5600mg cos of the positive display, monotone green wordings work for me too. Hated negative display.

Last edited:

karloil

Reaction score
My g-5600e already 12 years. No point salvaging it... Might as well let it retire. You also say can't wipe away the fog...

Bought gw-b5600mg cos it's cheap! $118 only with the fancy features and white backlight! Iirc I got my g-5600e ard $100+ too back then.

Edit: Got gw-b5600mg cos of the positive display, monotone green wordings work for me too. Hated negative display.

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-5000-u-series-including-gw-5000u-1/
Quite costly - now I want to add the U series to my square collection :s13::spin:

chromehead

Banned
Reaction score

they updated the bunch of older non-bluetooth squares like G-5600e, GWM-5600 and GW-S5600 from EL to LED... so all carry the U prefix.
iirc the time displayed in STW and TMR in the bluetooth models are now also present in the U modules.
U modules dont have bluetooth, but they have they retained their battery indicators that were absent on B5600

i also bth negative display. got the B5600AR for the looks back then, but viewing angles were just bad... so i inverted it after seeing the results from this reddit guy's work

the red from a transreflective metallic layer stuck behind the rear polarizer.. to invert just remove the front polarizer and flip the polarization axis by 90 degrees. But this method of modding the front polarizer like that means wearing polarizing sunglasses will totally block out the display.

also modded the LED like this guy, where he swapped the default white LED with the red LED reminder light.
the LED light contact springs are small as fk and just nice i lost 2 of the 4... so my reminder light is non functional lol

my g5600 and 9100 gulfman both have dead battery and that 'burnt' screen.
the 'burnt ring' is from either the OCA adhesive or the acetate layer of the rear polarizer decomposing from age.
front polarizer aging usually results in just faded looking display despite a fresh battery.

i just mod for fun with the old ones laying around. plenty resources these days

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
they updated the bunch of older non-bluetooth squares like G-5600e, GWM-5600 and GW-S5600 from EL to LED... so all carry the U prefix.
iirc the time displayed in STW and TMR in the bluetooth models are now also present in the U modules.
U modules dont have bluetooth, but they have they retained their battery indicators that were absent on B5600

i also bth negative display. got the B5600AR for the looks back then, but viewing angles were just bad... so i inverted it after seeing the results from this reddit guy's work

the red from a transreflective metallic layer stuck behind the rear polarizer.. to invert just remove the front polarizer and flip the polarization axis by 90 degrees. But this method of modding the front polarizer like that means wearing polarizing sunglasses will totally block out the display.

also modded the LED like this guy, where he swapped the default white LED with the red LED reminder light.
the LED light contact springs are small as fk and just nice i lost 2 of the 4... so my reminder light is non functional lol

the 'burnt ring' is from either the OCA adhesive or the acetate layer of the rear polarizer decomposing from age.
front polarizer aging usually results in just faded looking display despite a fresh battery.

Ah ok, I misunderstood the LED as the display screen. White lights are cool...so the blue/green EL is phased out completely? It's actually not that bad too.

I kinda miss the battery indicator, I checked the gshock app but battery level still at 50% after I went out for a walk under the sun.

Haha I had something similar to your b5600ar, I had a dw5600ms....really regret getting that. Can't see shiat captain!! Ever since I swear off negative display.

Yup, saw on forums many ppl switch the negative display to positive display, too cheem for me. Maybe next time can get those funky bezel and strap and diy change them

chromehead

Banned
Reaction score
Ah ok, I misunderstood the LED as the display screen. White lights are cool...so the blue/green EL is phased out completely? It's actually not that bad too.

I kinda miss the battery indicator, I checked the gshock app but battery level still at 50% after I went out for a walk under the sun.

Haha I had something similar to your b5600ar, I had a dw5600ms....really regret getting that. Can't see shiat captain!! Ever since I swear off negative display.

Yup, saw on forums many ppl switch the negative display to positive display, too cheem for me. Maybe next time can get those funky bezel and strap and diy change them

maybe they want to streamline the manufacturing.

worth a shot to keep the watches running since these stuff are still not too technical to do.
if really fry still can do a deconstructed style display of the watch in a picture frame lol

china side and indon side of shopee got a lot of mod parts, bezel and straps these days to play around

karloil

Reaction score

Modded a 9300, changed to Inverted Red - looked nice at 1st but damn hard to see under direct sunlight. Regretted doing this mod.

chromehead

Banned
Reaction score
Modded a 9300, changed to Inverted Red - looked nice at 1st but damn hard to see under direct sunlight. Regretted doing this mod.

dope mod man. red front polarizer? nice isofrane/borealis (i have both, but borealis rubber actually more comfy as more flexible... but skimpy gw-5000 strap or the cheap juelong fluoro rubber any day for me lol)

i accidentally nuked the silkscreened day/date border when i used ipa to scrub the rear polarizer OCA residue after peeling it off... not fun, at most use marker draw again lol

see the abang indon/msian modders wack the recent MIP display models quite interesting due to the display polarization angle as well as case construction

karloil

Reaction score
dope mod man. red front polarizer? nice isofrane/borealis (i have both, but borealis rubber actually more comfy as more flexible... but skimpy gw-5000 strap or the cheap juelong fluoro rubber any day for me lol)

i accidentally nuked the silkscreened day/date border when i used ipa to scrub the rear polarizer OCA residue after peeling it off... not fun, at most use marker draw again lol

see the abang indon/msian modders wack the recent MIP display models quite interesting due to the display polarization angle as well as case construction

Yes, red front polarizer. The same watch also developed a missing lcd segment on the date - never got to fix it (I suspect it's just a contact issue because of the pressure as it's also hydro modded) - too lazy to clean up hehe Ended just giving it away.

I also have an H1000, was exploring the idea of modding that as well but decided to just mod cheaper models.

Should I decide to purchase 'U' variants, will start modding my non-U again. Hehe

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.