-=OFFICIAL=- EDMW PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah. That would explain my big file sizes, :s34: But the buffer on the D7100 is ridiculously small. Though I love the camera quite a bit (and don't want to move up to the D800 for the even bigger file sizes and that I don't have a budget for more FF lenses for now). :s13:

I was using Lossless Compressed. :s34:

/Dan

Play with your settings again, 14 bit + compressed should get you slight more buffer.

If you're doing landscapes, buffer shouldn't be a hit for you.

ps/ My previous post mentioned 36mp, my bad, it's 24mp (FX).

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but most of the inter country rail i took all reserved seating one leh~

can jus crash in without notice~?
No reservations still can sit, just avoid those that have the locations appearing on top of the seats.

Eg: wien - munich

Means somebody reserved this seat from Vienna to Munich, if you are taking the seat from anywhere to before Vienna, you are clear to sit there. The conductors will not ask for your reservation ticket.

Mostly are quite empty so just find a non-reserve place and sit. We didn't sit together mostly, just find a place, plonk down and charge our devices.

EURail can take 1st class seats, so that's a plus point.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Play with your settings again, 14 bit + compressed should get you slight more buffer.

If you're doing landscapes, buffer shouldn't be a hit for you.

ps/ My previous post mentioned 36mp, my bad, it's 24mp (FX).

I got the fast card more to capture action in RAW. Was trying to shoot a bird but failing spectacularly. :s13:

/Dan

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the fast card more to capture action in RAW. Was trying to shoot a bird but failing spectacularly. :s13:

/Dan
Birds is not only about speed.

Observe their patterns. You can burst 53 raws, but if you don't study it's pattern carefully, you are not going to have a single shot useful out of that 53.

Preempting is very important, getting ready with a fast shutter speed (that can use the 7fps) and you should be good to go.

If your shutter is 1/30s, then 1s you can only get 2 shots even if you have 1000fps. To fully utilise the 7fps, you need minimally 1/150s.

Note your shutter lag (depress->(time)->shutter up) is about 300ms. That can be a turn off, so you need to preempt early and fire before the action starts. You time it right, 1-2 front frames will be wasted, but the rest should be fine. D7100 should have M-Up, it should assist in your birding.

Configure your AE/AF-L button to work as AF, disable the AF on the shutter press. Shutter button should now be releasing the shutter only, the AF controlled by the AE/AF-L button.

Sunbirds are very hyper, Kingfishers are very shy. Hawks/Eagles are slightly slower. Bee-Eaters are highly perched.

Find out more on your subjects first.

Last edited:

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Observe their patterns. You can burst 53 raws, but if you don't study it's pattern carefully, you are not going to have a single shot useful out of that 53.

Preempting is very important, getting ready with a fast shutter speed (that can use the 7fps) and you should be good to go.

If your shutter is 1/30s, then 1s you can only get 2 shots even if you have 1000fps. To fully utilise the 7fps, you need minimally 1/150s.

Note your shutter lag (depress->(time)->shutter up) is about 300ms. That can be a turn off, so you need to preempt early and fire before the action starts. You time it right, 1-2 front frames will be wasted, but the rest should be fine. D7100 should have M-Up, it should assist in your birding.

Configure your AE/AF-L button to work as AF, disable the AF on the shutter press. Shutter button should now be releasing the shutter only, the AF controlled by the AE/AF-L button.

Sunbirds are very hyper, Kingfishers are very shy. Hawks/Eagles are slightly slower. Bee-Eaters are highly perched.

Wow... :s31: :s31:

Nitrile

Honorary Member
Reaction score
who would buy this over a NEX or MFT cam? :s22:
and seriously is there a need to prominently display the sensor size and megapixels on the side of the camera like that?

LvudgwB.jpg

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
and seriously is there a need to prominently display the sensor size and megapixels on the side of the camera like that?

247 focus point!

But they do have a group of followers.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

It's a Samsung. I haven't been very impressed with them especially after handling it for a bit. Which was why when I wanted a good camera for travel, I went with the Olympus instead.

/Dan

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Thanks, so much to learn. Was just trying to shoot a simple mynah on a laundry pole from my kitchen window. :s13:

Am not up to Back button focusing yet. Am still learning how to handle the cameras. One bad thing is, having one too many systems brings confusion sometimes for a learner. But I'm preferring the Nikon D7100 IQ so I'm not about to sell it and go all Olympus, even though I like the Oly colours a lot more.

/Dan

knightshaz

High Honorary Member
Reaction score

Need to keep bashing samsung mah?
Just another camera for consumers to consider.
Except for Galaxy NX, the NX line is a cheap alternative for people to get into APS-C and there were the first ones to include wifi into their cameras.

alanjw55

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Interesting!!

70-200mm good enough fr jurong bird park?

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Interesting!!

70-200mm good enough fr jurong bird park?

To add on to Alan's post and to clarify, don't birders prefer like extreme zoom lenses like the Bigma? Just curious. :)

/Dan

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want bird at least have a longer lens, 200 won't do for close ups most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.