[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge - Part 2

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
1 Otto is fine. But they prefer to be in group.

Otto can also eat algae wafer and frozen cucumber / vegetables.

I am keeping 5 otto in a small tank and i supplement their diet. Has been alive from a year so far.

I am also keeping pencil fish and ember tetra. Whatever food you put into the tank, it is gone in seconds. Dont think otto has a chance.

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
Pencil fish and ember tetra dont eat frozen cucumber and other vegetables. They like to eat food floating in mid water column. If the food reach the substrate, they mostly lose interest.

Another way is to put some river stone into a basin filled with old fish tank water. Put the basin under direct sunlight. About 4 to 7 days later, algae will be growing all over the stone. Now you can put the stone into the fish tank for otto to enjoy. You will need a couple of stone for rotation between fish tank and basin so that there is constant algae for the otto.

My pencil fish and ember tetra search for fallen food in the substrate.

Does otto eat bulberry leaves?

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
What do you all feed pencil fish? Interested, but expensive right?

There are quite a lot of fish in our drainage systems, including koi, mollies, guppies, tilapias, plecos. You can check out the drains opposite ICA, Sungei Road (Sungei Canal), KK Hospital (Rochor Canal) etc.

Are there ppl who go down to catch?
Otherwise, it is useless info.

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
What do you all feed pencil fish? Interested, but expensive right?

There are quite a lot of fish in our drainage systems, including koi, mollies, guppies, tilapias, plecos. You can check out the drains opposite ICA, Sungei Road (Sungei Canal), KK Hospital (Rochor Canal) etc.

Not expensive. Like normal fish price.
I kept cos thought it eats algae but hell no. They are the first to eat whenever fish food you put in and occassionally chases other tank mates.

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
The net holding the bio ring in my filter is like brownish and has a fishy smell. Tried washing with tank water but still the same.
Should i replace the net?
Thanks.

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
First time i heard pencil fish eat algae.

I buy pencil fish because it like to hang near the top of the fish tank. So i will have some fish occupying top water column, some other fish occupy center water column and a few take up the bottom water column.

Read the internet say eat algae.
But no. They eat all the food you put in and are now the fattest fishes in my tank

Yua Mikami

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The net holding the bio ring in my filter is like brownish and has a fishy smell. Tried washing with tank water but still the same.
Should i replace the net?
Thanks.

It's normal. Unless the whole tank smells either the tank is cycling or something is wrong.

Globe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gonna sound dumb ... if anyone can ID this plant ...

is it glosso ...

LAgWb88.jpg

Globe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looks like HC.
you use dry start method?

yes i am doing dry start ... abit noob thou ... just try try

i put them in 4 days ago. i do noticed they are growing upwards quite a bit already ... just monitoring when they will carpet out.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
yes i am doing dry start ... abit noob thou ... just try try

i put them in 4 days ago. i do noticed they are growing upwards quite a bit already ... just monitoring when they will carpet out.
got a pic of your full tank?
what soil you using?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.