[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge - Part 2

siakpeng82

Reaction score
This is quite common.
Why not consider ranchu?
SVR or TVR for you to choose.
But both very different ways of keeping.
i go for fantail because i read it is relatively hardier.

for ranchu, or goldfish with wen, I am concerned about maintaining the wen. Saw video on trimming the wen, I am not confident to do that

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
i go for fantail because i read it is relatively hardier.

for ranchu, or goldfish with wen, I am concerned about maintaining the wen. Saw video on trimming the wen, I am not confident to do that
Very very rarely you need to do that.

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would like to test the chlorine levels in water, any recommendations?

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hanna ? dunno if they have what u need
Are you in this for the long run?
If so, a Hanna total chlorine pocket colorimeter is the best bet.

If not, you can get total chlorine test strips. If you get test strips you want strips testing for ppm between 0-5 or 0-10. Our tap water is typically 1-2ppm.

https://hannasingapore.com/total-chlorine-checker-hcr-colorimeter-range-0-00-to-3-50-ppm-mg-l
Make sure you test for TOTAL chlorine.
Short run, doing this to test how much chlorine “evaporates” when water is left out in the open for extended periods of time.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Short run, doing this to test how much chlorine “evaporates” when water is left out in the open for extended periods of time.
Hmm your case, a Hanna may be best after all. Reason is the level of precision you need.

Test strips commonly available are meant more for pool use and aren’t any use pinpointing exact chlorine PPM at the very low levels under 1ppm you need to be measuring. They were useful for me to determine if my catalytic carbon filters were leaking chlorine by a simple A-B comparison between input and output. In your case you are probably more interested in sampling ppm over time, which a test strip cannot help you do.

You could ask around and see if someone might be willing to lend you one in exchange for a reagent top up or something.

That said, I know we are using chloramine in our water instead of free chlorine. Chloramine is very stable and does not readily evaporate.

Last edited:

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm your case, a Hanna may be best after all. Reason is the level of precision you need.

Test strips commonly available are meant more for pool use and aren’t any use pinpointing exact chlorine PPM at the very low levels under 1ppm you need to be measuring. They were useful for me to determine if my catalytic carbon filters were leaking chlorine by a simple A-B comparison between input and output. In your case you are probably more interested in sampling ppm over time, which a test strip cannot help you do.

You could ask around and see if someone might be willing to lend you one in exchange for a reagent top up or something.

That said, I know we are using chloramine in our water instead of free chlorine. Chloramine is very stable and does not readily evaporate.
Thank you for sharing. Considering Aquadine Chlorine Tester sold on Shopee under 10 bucks to test.

Seems like it is a waste of time if SG is indeed using chloramine in our water. How did you find out?

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. Considering Aquadine Chlorine Tester sold on Shopee under 10 bucks to test.

Seems like it is a waste of time if SG is indeed using chloramine in our water. How did you find out?
It’s already common knowledge we use chloramine for its stability and longevity.

If you want to be empirical about it, you can do two precision tests. One for free chlorine, and another for total chlorine. Free chlorine tests do not detect bound chlorine in the form of chloramine and similar compounds. If free chlorine turns up a lower result than total chlorine by a significant amount, you know that delta is bound up in chloramine.

Looking at the test methodology of aquadine and the reaction, I suspect it is plain old aqueous potassium iodide. In the presence of chlorine and chloramine, iodine crystals are precipitate which results in that distinctive yellow.

Last edited:

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

siakpeng82

Reaction score
anyone has placed fish tank at balcony?

here's the floorplan of the balcony. i was hoping with the wall, it can even tahan a 5ft tank

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score

here's the floorplan of the balcony. i was hoping with the wall, it can even tahan a 5ft tank

I dont see any problem. Just a few things to take note.
- power points
- direct sunlight with could lead to algae and higher tank water temp
- water supply point nearby and water drainage during water change

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not a problem… I have a 3ft on my balcony… just make sure u have a blind by the side to prevent excessive sunlight…

AhChiCha

Reaction score
Hi Guys, would like to ask if anyone would like to trade 2ft or 2.5ft tank with my 3ft? Im looking to downsize due to spacing in house.
3ft x 1.5x 1.5 (6mm) blue oyama

Last edited:

perrinrahl

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 5 feet tank to keep cichlids again. What should I look out for if getting a used tank? TIA.

Reaction score
Thought to share my tank. planned for around 1 year
It's like 3 weeks here since introducing plants and livestock, did about 3 weeks dark start prior. :)

C6z2eir.jpg

forgive my mediocre camera skills 😅
Very nice. Any updates ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.