[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The bamboos are the most common example

That is correct.

Dont buy plant with leaves that id variegated such as with green white / green red. Leaves with pointy end meant to drip off excess rain water. Will be able to stand upright if you lift it out of water.

These plants are mostly terrestrial plants that dont do well under water and will usually die after a few months. Waste of time and money and effort.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Plants are dying after my 1 week business trip

jbRJEAW.jpg

my fav fishes in this tank are my clown loaches.

dlZEhAB.jpg

Neon tetras hidding near the sunsun wave maker

most of your plants need base fert.
do you have them?

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
Clown loach are not fun in a planted tank. They will help you harvest the newly planted seeds :D

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3000 using GAGT

ljohn78

Reaction score
4ft low profile tank. 4ft x 1ft x 1ft. About 150 litres.
The water level dropped about 15% so current is a little rapid on the surface. But my tank is long, the other end is calm.
Camelsback, 2 questions.

1. How did you prevent algae from growing in your tank. You placed them next to the window which means they have tons of light.

2. How did you upload such clear pic. When i upload my pic, somehow they get converted into fuzzy low quality pic.

Last edited:

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sian Seaview still closed anyone can recommend me other fish stores to visit on Sunday?

Ows

Master Member
Reaction score
Will pass expiry date or not? 4 years sia.

I email seachem support and they mentioned both prime and safe don't have expiry date. Based on seachem forums, they mentioned if safe is diluted into a liquid, it must be use immediately.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This sort of things usually no issues one
Seachem also got people ask before

😂 due to our tank size la
How much can we use

Will pass expiry date or not? 4 years sia.

ljohn78

Reaction score
Wao. By right, the reducing agent in prime and safe, over time will oxidized with air and become ineffective.

Maybe it doesnt have an expiry if stored at ideal or appropriate condition (cool dry place and air tight). Or degradation too low to be deem insignificant.

Or maybe they have added stabilizer.

Zangief

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone keeps balloon mollies ? of all the fishes in my tank, they usually uplorry first, within 1-2 mths. they are that difficult to keep ?

but i like their look best, look very cute sia. fat fat round round type.

ljohn78

Reaction score
In my opinion, best not to keep balloon mollies or any genetic defect breeds for the matter.

A genetic defect cause the spine to curve and compress the body into a balloon shape. Then line breeding fix in this genetic defects.

The fish swims slow, suffers from many health problems such as constipation etc, live in pain and stress, hence dont live long. Usually lifespan less than 1 year.

Why create a market for farms to earn money base on suffering of such animals. When we keep pet, i feel there is an unwritten contract between us and the animal, that we will give them a good and healthy life.

Last edited:

Pyro77

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If my tank is 4ft X 1.5ft, enough for one or two small stingrays?

Pyro77

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi pyro77.

K1 cost about $4 per kg if you buy 4kg package.

You can buy them almost anywhere. C328 have them.

K1 media is very efficient because of oxygen coming to very close contact with the aerobic nitrifying bacteria on the k1 media. Turbo boosting these bacteria at removing ammonia and nitrite.

But k1 media has low surface area compared to ceramic rings or sponge. So you really need to use alot of it to be of any meaningful purpose. This result in a need for sump to house the large volume of K1.

If you have 2 or 3 feet tank. Dont need k1. If you have 4 or larger tank and have high bio load, can consider k1 for maximum efficiency but at higher cost.

Thanks, I have a 4ft tank and planning on getting or building a 2ft sump tank. How much k1 media would I need?

ljohn78

Reaction score
Thanks, I have a 4ft tank and planning on getting or building a 2ft sump tank. How much k1 media would I need?
Cant advise when i dont know the fish, the food type and the feeding frequency and circulation efficiency of sump.

But you can start by filling your sump with 40% volume of k1. Monitor the color, if the k1 becomes dark brown, then you need to add more k1 to say 60% volume. If k1 turns light brown then you can continue with the current amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.