[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
My brother-in-law got a 3 feet planted tank. Inside got angel fish, 3 guppies and a few other fishes.

3 days ago he called me n sound very excited. He said his angel fish laid eggs on the pipe and keep circling around it. The angel fish even attack any fish who come near:

she will eat up the eggs if other fish go and disturb it.

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xmas moss don't need strong light.
all it needs is cool water and some low light will do.

I got a 2 ft shrimp tank with just a few strands of Xmas moss.
the shrimp waste act as food for the moss and now the whole tank is full of them in just 3 months.

Yah I tried christmas moss.

But as you said need cool water which is hard to get for small tank. Cause if I turn on fan my water evaporate too fast.

tminus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

But as you said need cool water which is hard to get for small tank. Cause if I turn on fan my water evaporate too fast.

Our weather hot... small tank easier to get heated up by lights and room temperature. All moss prefer cooler temperature

Archnemo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes that's how it seems..

I initially thought smaller easier, but really a lot of constraint.

If lights on too often, water become to hot.

If turn on the fish tan fan, water evaporate too fast.

Conditioning of the water quite tough.

yah think so. I thought 3-4 hours a day sufficient but seems not.

Also the fishshop told me also due to water temperature. the plants thrive in 28 kind but mind usually on the 30s.

Temp is the killer for moss. My moss grew well until Apr this year then temp keep rising until usually 29-32 degrees then mostly died off now.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score

how big is your tank?

the challenge of growing moss is to make the leaves grow into a triangular shape.
if water not cool enough, they will grow like strand of hair.
and the leave also dark dark one.

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Temp is the killer for moss. My moss grew well until Apr this year then temp keep rising until usually 29-32 degrees then mostly died off now.

yeah. after a while that's what I learned. So I stopped keeping moss.

I bought a driftwood with Anubias. It seems like those very hardy, quite hard to die.

But after 2 months some of the leaves turned yellow already. maybe my light not strong enough.

how big is your tank?

the challenge of growing moss is to make the leaves grow into a triangular shape.
if water not cool enough, they will grow like strand of hair.
and the leave also dark dark one.

Only 30x30x30. Just a nano tank cube.

Yeah. I tried to turn on the fan every day in the morning and at night turn off (but i don't on air-con), so temperature fluctuate quite a bit. Especially when I forget in the morning. Just few days can see the moss turn dark already.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
yeah. after a while that's what I learned. So I stopped keeping moss.

I bought a driftwood with Anubias. It seems like those very hardy, quite hard to die.

But after 2 months some of the leaves turned yellow already. maybe my light not strong enough.

Only 30x30x30. Just a nano tank cube.

Yeah. I tried to turn on the fan every day in the morning and at night turn off (but i don't on air-con), so temperature fluctuate quite a bit. Especially when I forget in the morning. Just few days can see the moss turn dark already.

1 ft cube is quite challenging to fish, shrimps and plants.

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 ft cube is quite challenging to fish, shrimps and plants.

My tank was actually thriving with shrimps when I just started for 6 months.

Within 2-3 months had 2 shrimps with babies and at a point had like 20 baby shrimps with some fish. Eventually fishes died (some jumped out) but some shrimps survive.

Then no idea what happened the shrimps started dying also. Maybe cause I got lazy and did water change once every 2 weeks when usually I do once every week.

Decided not to keep fish as the fish ate some of my baby shrimp. So now just keeping shrimps.

Currently have 12 of them running around. 1 pregnant.

The last time I bought 2 pregnant one, didn't make it past 1 week dunno why. Yet the others inside doing ok.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
My tank was actually thriving with shrimps when I just started for 6 months.

Within 2-3 months had 2 shrimps with babies and at a point had like 20 baby shrimps with some fish. Eventually fishes died (some jumped out) but some shrimps survive.

Then no idea what happened the shrimps started dying also. Maybe cause I got lazy and did water change once every 2 weeks when usually I do once every week.

Decided not to keep fish as the fish ate some of my baby shrimp. So now just keeping shrimps.

Currently have 12 of them running around. 1 pregnant.

The last time I bought 2 pregnant one, didn't make it past 1 week dunno why. Yet the others inside doing ok.

Its the water.

Because your cube has so little water to begin with, 2 weeks without water change plus the water evaporated, your water parameters will change drastically.

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its the water.

Because your cube has so little water to begin with, 2 weeks without water change plus the water evaporated, your water parameters will change drastically.

Yeah that's what I thought also. This morning unfortunately another shrimp died. Left 11. Surprisingly it's the adult shrimps that are having problem.

The baby shrimps so far still so good.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
My son wants to keep Betta.
What are the essential things I need to keep Betta.
What do Betta eats
How big a tank I need?
Also, if we go for holiday which is around 5days to a week, how to make sure it won't die?

Harri83

Master Member
Reaction score
What do Betta eats
How big a tank I need?
Also, if we go for holiday which is around 5days to a week, how to make sure it won't die?

No need fancy equipment.
Betta eat fish pellet.
Small tank or big tank also can, last time people keep betta inside those peanut jam bottle.
5 days no problem lah as long as you don't put 2 fish together.
Betta is very hardy.

ZedMaster

Banned
Reaction score
What do Betta eats
How big a tank I need?

Small tank coz you can only keep 1 in a tank.

If your tank is too big, it will not be nice.

If small tank, you can easily carry it around and pass it to your neighbour for feeding while you're away.

Woshileeroy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asking the pros here, does goldfishes really need lots of space? I have a 3ft tank, five goldfishes inside, each around 1 inch plus, is it overcrowded?

Sent from 波多野结衣 using GAGT

Niccolo Machiavelli

Master Member
Reaction score
What do Betta eats
How big a tank I need?

1ft tank more than enough for one betta fish

no need air pump cause they take atmospheric air. but good to add a small filter for long term care

can feed them pellets

one week never feed wont die dont worry

Niccolo Machiavelli

Master Member
Reaction score
Asking the pros here, does goldfishes really need lots of space? I have a 3ft tank, five goldfishes inside, each around 1 inch plus, is it overcrowded?

Sent from 波多野结衣 using GAGT

seems ok. as long as your filtration is good, cause they produce a lot of waste.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
No need fancy equipment.
Betta eat fish pellet.
Small tank or big tank also can, last time people keep betta inside those peanut jam bottle.
5 days no problem lah as long as you don't put 2 fish together.
Betta is very hardy.

Thanks, I was thinking of putting those moss balls while I'm on holiday so that when the Betta is really hungry it can feed on it. Will they?

And where to get nice looking Betta? Those aqaurium ard my area, the Bettas not nice looking

hwarzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know people giving out java moss for free, or how much is java moss in fish shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.