[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

given

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
curious whether Singapore got any streams/river to catch fishes like malaysia like that ah?

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone went 328 today? Got new batch of female betta anot ah? Sat I go all selling finish Liao

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also dun know, but as i read, i think ammonia and nitrate test strips are more important ? :s22:

What size your tank? Any tank below 5 gallon just change 50% water every 2-3 days
The test strip only good if u trying to establish nitrogen cycle but Min size for cycle is 5gallon

dcskaa

Reaction score
Tampines flat HDB got one owner built a fish tank on the door steps and enter the unit by another entrance.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
What size your tank? Any tank below 5 gallon just change 50% water every 2-3 days
The test strip only good if u trying to establish nitrogen cycle but Min size for cycle is 5gallon

oh ok, thanks for the info

popimac

Master Member
Reaction score
My wife only allowed me to have 2 units of 3 feet tanks unless I get rid of both and can have one 5 feet tank.

BTO flat too small liao.
if you are into aquascape, go for 2x 3ft. monster fish, then 5ft!

Sent from my air hole using GAGT

popimac

Master Member
Reaction score
Another thing is, the incoming water, we always had 2 problems. Its always either this or that.

1) after a water change, all fishes in the tank will become very dazed. And sometimes as if panting and breathing very hard. More often then not they will recover within 1 to 2 hours, but there are also 2 3 times where almost the whole tank got annihilated. All die...

2) if the fishes are all right, then another thing can happen... the water will turn green very fast thanks to algae within a few days.
I suspect could be two things;
1. water is not treated with anti chlorine.
2. water is concentrated with CO2 (if you are using co2 for plants)

when the fish goes up to surface to breathe (more than a couple), I will use an air pump to increase aeration for a couple hours and observe. sometimes overnight.

Sent from my air hole using GAGT

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
i got a bucket to do store water and add chlorine removal, then let it rest there for 2-3 days before proceed to do water change.

Is tat ok ?

that should be good as both your tank and bucket temp are already at room temp.

for me, I always got 60L of treated water on standby just in case of emergency.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also dun know, but as i read, i think ammonia and nitrate test strips are more important ? :s22:

Don't use test strips if you can.

Titrated test solutions more accurate.

You needs tests for

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH (fresh or salt water depending on your setup)

If you can, get an electronic PH test meter.

Ammonia tells you if your filter is working properly. There should be almost no ammonia detectable.

Nitrite tells does the same. Different bacteria turn nitrite to nitrate.
There should be almost no nitrite detectable. This stuff causes brown blood disease.

Nitrate tells you if you are doing water change sufficiently
Nitrate naturally builds up in a filter based on aerobic beneficial bacteria.
It is controlled mainly by water change. It isn't very toxic to fish - but do not let it build up too much.

KH tells you if your water is adequately buffered agains PH spikes/dips
If KH is low, you will have to play chemist to add some buffer back into the water. For alkaline water loving fish like ranchu or koi, sodium bicarbonate is the preferred buffer. For acid water fishes, you will need to read up. I can't advise you on that. KH is consumed by an aerobic filter and will gradually be depleted. If it runs down to 0, filter performance will be inhibited. This is one of the most often neglected things in Singapore aquaria - especially so since our tap water is almost 0 KH unlike in many other countries. Coral chips and oyster shells can help to some extent. Remember though that these are slow releasers of carbonate (KH) and work only when the water is acidic.

PH tells you if you are maintaining your water at what's best for your fish
Fish like PH to stay nice and stable. Lack of buffer (KH) means a small amount of acid or alkali can cause serious PH swings. Swings mean death for fish. Commonly seen as a tank crash where all the inhabitants are found dead suddenly.

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
:s13: maintaining an aquarium is like studying chem sia :s22:

Thank you for all the info, will slowly digest

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
Just went to c328 to buy a bottle of seachem prime...
This time of that day still so crowded with pple .

If tmr lunch time weather is ok, will cycle to seaview to srrr....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.