[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon988

Reaction score
Hi all... New to planted tanks. Looking to get Dwarf hairgrass or something similar as carpet plant with no co2. Planning to head to c328 to find. Went there recently but the plants mostly no labels one? Anybody know usually where the store put the hairgrass at and how it looks? Thanks...

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all... New to planted tanks. Looking to get Dwarf hairgrass or something similar as carpet plant with no co2. Planning to head to c328 to find. Went there recently but the plants mostly no labels one? Anybody know usually where the store put the hairgrass at and how it looks? Thanks...

Its very difficult to grow hairgrass without co2.

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My bro helped me to suck out the food yesterday. He doesn't know anything abt aquariums but I saw that the food are taken out and the filter I have also rinsed.

Very lazy to restart bcos this is a new tank. 3ft x1.5 x1.5. was from 2ft x1 X2 tank. And it's supposed abt 2mths old only.

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

Then do WC until no ammonia lor then u can add new fishes

Jon988

Reaction score
Its very difficult to grow hairgrass without co2.

A diy co2 setup is fine with me too. Cos my tank small so investing in a co2 cylinder Abit Overkill...

Do u know where to locate the DHG/Japanese hairgrass or something similar at c328?

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
A diy co2 setup is fine with me too. Cos my tank small so investing in a co2 cylinder Abit Overkill...

Do u know where to locate the DHG/Japanese hairgrass or something similar at c328?

Diy co2 is even worse as you totally no control over the output.
If you insist I saw Japanese hg over at Petmart. A decent portion for $10.
Its at serangoon north.

ljohn78

Reaction score
Diy co2 is even worse as you totally no control over the output.
If you insist I saw Japanese hg over at Petmart. A decent portion for $10.
Its at serangoon north.

concur. diy co2 will cause pH flucatuation day in and day out which is very bad for the fish. If your purpose is to keep fish, then go for easier plant since you dont want CO2 setup. If your purpose is to keep plant, then keep it with very very hardy fish that can take abuse.

ljohn78

Reaction score
Hi guys. Need some help. I went holiday for 3 days and now my tank population is almost gone. Day 1, someone accidentally poured almost the whole fish feed into my tank but did not or dunno how to clear them. Day 2. My fish are mostly dead. Day 3, I came back and found my angelfish floating and lying flat. It's long fins and feeler fins are all gone. Can consider a gonna too. Total, I lost 1 good looking angelfish, 5 rainbow fish, 12 white cloud mountains, 1 bristlenose, 2 Cory, 1 oto. Survivors only 2 more Cory and 2 oto. I'm not sure if they can last.

My tank has sky high ammonia now. I did test. It was always yellow colour. Now the test is bluish green. I did more than half tank change. But theres still ammonia though slightly better than before the water change.

What should I do? Carry on changing water now? Or wait and see if ammonia will go down. The water is cloudy but clearing cos of my water change. I also washed my filter using old tank water.

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

if i were you, i will drain out 90% of the dirty water, clean out all the uneaten food, wash all the mechanical filter, take out all the dead fishes and refill the tank with dechlor water.

The one time sudden shock of large water change is better than many semi large water change shock while still being exposed to dirty ammonia laden water.

Also, maybe a tiny burial ceremony for your dead pet fish. I feel your lost for the angel fish especially.

Jon988

Reaction score
concur. diy co2 will cause pH flucatuation day in and day out which is very bad for the fish. If your purpose is to keep fish, then go for easier plant since you dont want CO2 setup. If your purpose is to keep plant, then keep it with very very hardy fish that can take abuse.

Planning to keep tetras and shrimp. Purpose is to have a tank with colour contrast (e.g. rcs on soil) and natural-looking tank...

ljohn78

Reaction score
Planning to keep tetras and shrimp. Purpose is to have a tank with colour contrast (e.g. rcs on soil) and natural-looking tank...

shrimps (i suppose dwarf cherry or the like) need cold water and dont like co2. co2 results in low pH which erodes their shell.

Most carpet plant are very challenging and not for beginner. Either the plant die, or you get algae everywhere if you have no skill.

I humbly suggest trying java moss in a shrimp tank. the java moss will provide hidding space for your baby shrimps from the tetra.

You can also try dwarf Sagittaria. They need fertile substrate only. But carpeting fully will take about 6 months in a 2 feet tank.

Jon988

Reaction score
shrimps (i suppose dwarf cherry or the like) need cold water and dont like co2. co2 results in low pH which erodes their shell.

Most carpet plant are very challenging and not for beginner. Either the plant die, or you get algae everywhere if you have no skill.

I humbly suggest trying java moss in a shrimp tank. the java moss will provide hidding space for your baby shrimps from the tetra.

You can also try dwarf Sagittaria. They need fertile substrate only. But carpeting fully will take about 6 months in a 2 feet tank.

Thanks for your suggestions! I have Java moss already tied to a rock in my tank. They can be used as carpet plant too? How do I attach it to the soil?

Right now I have Java ferns, swordplant, java moss, a tall grass-like plant that I can't tell is what species (bought in a $1.50 pot).

I also have two pots of grass-like plants (about 10cm tall) that has no visible roots (was shocked) that I just trimmed and planted into the soil.

Do you know where can I get Dwarf saggarita and how is it sold (e.g. pots)?

Last edited:

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions! I have Java moss already tied to a rock in my tank. They can be used as carpet plant too? How do I attach it to the soil?

Right now I have Java ferns, swordplant, java moss, a tall grass-like plant that I can't tell is what species (bought in a $1.50 pot).

I also have two pots of grass-like plants (about 10cm tall) that has no visible roots (was shocked) that I just trimmed and planted into the soil.

Do you know where can I get Dwarf saggarita and how is it sold (e.g. pots)?

U want those knowledgeable shop can get aquatic avenue. Can slowly ask. 328 for ppl who alr know some things cos they bo time entertain u

Or go polyart first. Can ask them qn

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, as I was in a hurry I never take notice....

I also need to be careful not to knock over buckets of crabs n lobsters while manuveouring in the shop :s22:

Np
+1 don’t forget the random packet of fish lying on the floor :s13:

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
If you already resting the water for 2-3 days, why do u still need to put the dechlorinator?

Lol, me typical Singaporean, kiasee, kiasu...
I scare the fish die, and I don't want my boy to think that, oh it's just fish, die already just replace....

Want to tell him that keeping fish is not as easy as he thinks... Need time, patient n responsibility.... :D

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Because Chloramine, unlike Chlorine, in our water does not dissipate over time, no matter how many days you rest the water.

exactly. that is why water conditioner is a must locally if we want to keep fish or shrimp using tap water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.