[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's more convenient for me to DIY a Co2 reactor because i can buy the ingredient(1kg Sugar $3-$4) whenever i'm free and it's cheap to make another Co2 reactor($0.60 for the bottle). $2(Sugar and yeast) last for 14days, $48 per yrs?

Canister with a timer every 4-6 month i need to go topup(I only can make it during the Sunday), expensive to buy canister(2ndhand 2l $50-$200+ with regulator/controller) if i want to have more tanks it gonna burn my wallet. $14-$17 2L last for about 4-6 month and transport (depend on area) so $40 per yrs?

So i still prefer DIY Co2 reactor.

I think you got it slightly wrong. If you going for sugar, you should look at the 3kg pack size. Like Giant Fine Sugar, 3kg is $4.10 it is more economical if you use both at home and for fish tank. So usually we don't look at the 1kg packing type.

Yeast don't have to stock that much, since you can always stock it when you need it.

Reactor look for the simple JBL type will do. No need guage or whatsover. Things can be simple.

pewpewpew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey anybody wants a bunch of snails (mix mystery, Malaysian trumpets) loose gravels, driftwood and some minor plants for free?

My puffers have passed and I wanna give these stuffs away. Please pm me ur contact. Self collect at my place in the central-east region.

Honeydewz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you got it slightly wrong. If you going for sugar, you should look at the 3kg pack size. Like Giant Fine Sugar, 3kg is $4.10 it is more economical if you use both at home and for fish tank. So usually we don't look at the 1kg packing type.

Yeast don't have to stock that much, since you can always stock it when you need it.

Reactor look for the simple JBL type will do. No need guage or whatsover. Things can be simple.

Oh, you are right my info is wrong i bought 3kg not 1kg. :s13:

Niccolo Machiavelli

Master Member
Reaction score
My tank is recovering but due to the recent incident of overfeeding, but the snails population bloom together with algae. I saw Ramshorn and bladder snails. Caught 4 or 5 babies daily. Today saw a full size bladder and a smaller one but matured already.

I'm thinking of getting assassin snails. Will 1 do in a 180L tank, abt 50gallon. Bcos I dun want the assassin to breed if I get a pair or more.

Read that yoyo loach is also good but need to be in groups. My tank still has space but the ground already occupied by 4 Corys and brlstle nose pleco and a gold balloon ram. The bristlenose is doing a good job cleaning up the algae now too.

Is 1 assassin snail enough to do the job? Any other ideas to get rid of the snails besides assassin snails?

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 XL using GAGT

would recommend that you get a grp of dwarf chain loaches, maybe around 5. they grow small - 5cm or so. totally eradicated my snail problem. they feed to commercial food too, so won't go hungry if they can't find any snails.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey anybody wants a bunch of snails (mix mystery, Malaysian trumpets) loose gravels, driftwood and some minor plants for free?

My puffers have passed and I wanna give these stuffs away. Please pm me ur contact. Self collect at my place in the central-east region.

You take some nice nice pict I think pple will response to you to adopt them.

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
It's more convenient for me to DIY a Co2 reactor because i can buy the ingredient(3kg Sugar $3-$4) whenever i'm free and it's cheap to make another Co2 reactor($0.60 for the bottle). $0.80(Sugar and yeast) last for 14days, $19.2 per yrs?

Canister with a timer every 4-6 month i need to go topup(I only can make it during the Sunday), expensive to buy canister(2ndhand 2l $50-$200+ with regulator/controller) if i want to have more tanks it gonna burn my wallet. $14-$17 2L last for about 4-6 month and transport (depend on area) so $40 per yrs?

So i still prefer DIY Co2 reactor.

All I can say is a canister will give more consistent CO2 especially if you use a solenoid with a timer. The problem with diy CO2 is inconsistent CO2 and also there is always a chance the ethanol can get into your tank since it is very volatile.

Honeydewz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All I can say is a canister will give more consistent CO2 especially if you use a solenoid with a timer. The problem with diy CO2 is inconsistent CO2 and also there is always a chance the ethanol can get into your tank since it is very volatile.

True, i guess i'm lucky it has been 2 years i never face any problems. :D

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You two represent two different camps....on CO2....ha ha.

I am from both camps. But I use CO2 tablets before as well. Nowadays I don't even use CO2.

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
True, i guess i'm lucky it has been 2 years i never face any problems. :D

Good for you then. I use a diffuser for my CO2 so the pressure needs to be high enough for the micro bubbles to come out. And to get consistent bubbles per second is much easier with a canister.

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
You two represent two different camps....on CO2....ha ha.

I am from both camps. But I use CO2 tablets before as well. Nowadays I don't even use CO2.

Actually all depends on what plants you keep. Some plants can do without CO2 injection. But CO2 definitely helps and lower temperature seems to work well for many plants

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually all depends on what plants you keep. Some plants can do without CO2 injection. But CO2 definitely helps and lower temperature seems to work well for many plants

It depends how deep your pocket, what age group. As you aged, strength limitation do not allow you to do heavy lifting, etc. So in this scenario, you tend to scale down.

However, being prime of age, everything and almost anything is possible. The mind becomes as white as a sheet of paper, you can draw whatever you want.

This is an Iwagumi tank.
IWagumi-Aquascaping-Styles.jpg

This is a driftwood fish tank.
12419179_1245191698830938_6673108507058535398_o_1_large.jpg

In both pictures, all the equipment were removed prior to photo taking session.

Last edited:

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hehe.. Dutch scape picture coming up soon?

As for the snail problem with loach
It’s not so straight forward loach not easy also

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually it is cotton that they are tied to. Cotton will rot the roots over time, hence it is discarded.

Only lava rocks which are mineral rocks people re-uses them. Driftwood....usually we treat it to a hot water bath, plants bought with driftwood tied, you have to take a risk. Either untie, treat with hot water then tie up or take a risk and treat it together.

Plants are washed by rubbing them gently using fingers, in the process some debris will bound to happen.

Do you plant the java fern tied together with the piece of driftwood?

Or cut the thread and plant each?

Here's a photo of mine

xA8JtCU.jpg

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you plant the java fern tied together with the piece of driftwood?

Or cut the thread and plant each?

Here's a photo of mine

xA8JtCU.jpg

Let's not refer to java fern but larger leafy aquatic plants. I tend to untie them, then plant it directly into the soil so that the roots got some time to develop itself.

But most of my old pictures focus more on fish than plants.
1UzPaZT.jpg

The greenish color actually tells you that the plants are very healthy.

Some aquatic plants sold are actually for terra scape than aquatic scape.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Master Member
Reaction score
Let's not refer to java fern but larger leafy aquatic plants. I tend to untie them, then plant it directly into the soil so that the roots got some time to develop itself.

But most of my old pictures focus more on fish than plants.
1UzPaZT.jpg

The greenish color actually tells you that the plants are very healthy.

Some aquatic plants sold are actually for terra scape than aquatic scape.

Baby L183 spotted.

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ANYONE got java moss to give away boh? I want pls

Saw polyArt sell one small cup $3

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All fish tanks start off ugly so they said....

Imagine the patience devoted to maintaining the tank itself...phew...

This is fully being told in japanese language. No sub whatsoever. You have to view it in full screen to see it properly.

Point of learning, he cultivated algae.....then use yamato shrimps to basically do sweeping....yamato fed on the algae although they are scavengers so they also feed on fish.

Mizu means water. Ishi means stones/rocks. Kote means to secure. So rocks are used to secure the slope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.