[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acetone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Can’t wait to see the scape

Picture from one of my scape tank. Tank was a custom tank bought from Bukit Batok Market.

4 piece of drift wood.

G1iBano.jpg

4pxCSO

Master Member
Reaction score
if i am to do a moss carpet using mesh...

http://shrimpfan.blogspot.com/2012/07/moss.html

so basically, i will cut out the mesh, spread the moss on one piece of the mesh.
Then use another piece of mesh to place on top of it... like sandwiching the moss...

then place it at the bottom of moi tank and wait for it to grow...

correct ?

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys, issit larger tank the water temperature won't tend to get warm easily? Right now my tank 25x25x25cm and if I don't on fan, the temperature rise sometimes to 30degrees making it hard to maintain even christmas moss. and if I turn on fan + light, water evaporate too fast.

ljohn78

Reaction score
guys, issit larger tank the water temperature won't tend to get warm easily? Right now my tank 25x25x25cm and if I don't on fan, the temperature rise sometimes to 30degrees making it hard to maintain even christmas moss. and if I turn on fan + light, water evaporate too fast.
Most tanks are designed to have the same surface area to volume ratio, so small or big tank will loss water through evaporation at almost equal rate. If you use fan on either size tanks, you have to top up every 2 to 3 days.

The benefits of big tank is that their temperature fluctuation is more gradual when environment temperature changes while small tank temperature changes more rapidly. Both size will eventually reach equilibrium with environment temperature, but the crucial factor is gradual change allow fish to slowly adapt. Rapid change will cause shock and death.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any one here using spiderwood for their aquascaping? How to prevent it from floating up besides putting rocks to hold it down. Must soak in water for many weeks to make it waterlogged and loses it buoyancy?

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most tanks are designed to have the same surface area to volume ratio, so small or big tank will loss water through evaporation at almost equal rate. If you use fan on either size tanks, you have to top up every 2 to 3 days.

The benefits of big tank is that their temperature fluctuation is more gradual when environment temperature changes while small tank temperature changes more rapidly. Both size will eventually reach equilibrium with environment temperature, but the crucial factor is gradual change allow fish to slowly adapt. Rapid change will cause shock and death.

thanks for the insight. my tank evaporation rate almost 1cm - 2cm a day if i turn on light and fan together. So almost everyday need topup.

yes the temperature fluctuation quite bad for my small tank. If I turn on my fan the entire morning till evening the temp can reach 26-27 kind, but if I forget it'll reach almost 30.

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used to cultivate Hornwort in my nursery tank. Gave off my excess ones. Now not keeping any anymore. They grow like weeds.
LeoWmQh.jpg

GOt use light? Or just light from room

This is exactly what I want for my betta !!!

ljohn78

Reaction score
thanks for the insight. my tank evaporation rate almost 1cm - 2cm a day if i turn on light and fan together. So almost everyday need topup.

yes the temperature fluctuation quite bad for my small tank. If I turn on my fan the entire morning till evening the temp can reach 26-27 kind, but if I forget it'll reach almost 30.
Your evaporation rate is too high. That means your fan is way too strong. Change to weaker fan or adjust fan speed if possible.

Overpower fan will not cause water temperature to be any lower. There is only so much evaporation can do to drop water temp.

I believe if your nano tank is kept at a cool corner of your house, it will maintain at 28 even without fan. For my house, that corner would be store room or area between kitchen and living room.

Any one here using spiderwood for their aquascaping? How to prevent it from floating up besides putting rocks to hold it down. Must soak in water for many weeks to make it waterlogged and loses it buoyancy?

Just soak it. Meanwhile weight it down with rocks. No second way about it. Remember the wood will release tannins which will cause water to turn brown and acidic. Generally good for fish but bad for aesthetics.

rhexis07

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your evaporation rate is too high. That means your fan is way too strong. Change to weaker fan or adjust fan speed if possible.

Overpower fan will not cause water temperature to be any lower. There is only so much evaporation can do to drop water temp.

I believe if your nano tank is kept at a cool corner of your house, it will maintain at 28 even without fan. For my house, that corner would be store room or area between kitchen and living room.

my tank in the common room. Never really seen it maintain 28 constantly before. For fan I am just using this one

ans-a20113-cooling-fan-1000_6.jpg

Would be great if can find those timer kind that on 2 hours off 1hour kind lol.

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my tank in the common room. Never really seen it maintain 28 constantly before. For fan I am just using this one

ans-a20113-cooling-fan-1000_6.jpg

Would be great if can find those timer kind that on 2 hours off 1hour kind lol.

What if u increase the distance between fan and tank?

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went 328 buy water Sprite, 6-7 stalk for $2

Now is light light light

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Snails in the tank will solve your plant debris problems. They will eat up dead plant matter. But then you will still get some snail poops. Poops can be mechanically filtered away if you find it unsightly.

any suggestion for which type of snail is good for this? best if small . buying 1 only. and hopefully ok with bettas

Tot of nerite snail but scared escape
Read trumpet also good but I don’t want it to reproduce and over run my tank -.-

Last edited:

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Up to you. De-ttachable if you loosen the clip on top. The plastic clip although looks very hardy, 2-3 years, it will break because of constant exposure to the aquarium water.

If dettach, you can cable tie it to some stand of your own liking. It is pretty DIY-able if you ask me. This is call the Pasat Malam lighting. Often you see RamLee burger stalls, they use them.

sad, my local hardware shop no sell the clip :s8::(

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Monte carlo are hardy plants or need alot of maintenance? Just googled it and seems very nice sia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.