[OFFICIAL] Taiwan Guide and Taiwan related matters - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsterness

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Taiwan first day today, took the bus 1623 to taichung, website say 2hr 10mins but reality is 3hrs lo... lesson learnt, just take hsr.

Fengjia night market damn crowded today and a lot of singaporeans who dont mind queueing, too tired liao cannot fight with them.

Wear one thick sweater in the day, very hot but at night 2 layer 勉强 wont sweat.

cutoutxstars

Master Member
Reaction score
I just came back from Taiwan recently, on top of ur itinerary, i will recommend the following:

1. Half day at Tamsui Fisherman's Wharf, can take pic and watch sunset there, and walk along the old street. I enjoyed walking down the the old street, things are quite cheap, and not too crowded, unlike Jiufen. Can go to 八里 fr Tamsui by boat, i didnt try, u may want to check out whether it is worth going. If u r going 八里, may need to plan 1 day trip instead of half day to Tamsui.

2. Yilan
I went by bus, as train tickets already sold out. Bus ride is abt 70 mins from Taipei Main Station bus station. I went to Jimi Square, took train to Toucheng station, then take bus to Waiao Beach, its a beach with black sand, there is a nearby cafe, can chill inside the cafe after a relaxing walk on the beach. I suggest that u take a cab outside the train stn instead of taking bus to the beach, quite a long walk. U may want to arrange for the cab to come back and pick u up again. U can also arrange a cab to go to Mr Brown Cafe. I didnt hv time to go there.

3. Sun Moon Lake
I booked THSR tickets at Klook to go to Taichung. Fr Taichung stn, i bought a sun moon lake package which include bus tickets to Sun Moon Lake. Nice trip, enjoyed it.

I stayed at Taipei city for 8 days, stayed near Taipei Main Station, traveled out to by public transport every day, except Jiufen and shifen, i booked a van. But the experience with the van driver was disappointing. It was a raining day thru out the day, but the driver dropped us at a point which was convenient for her, but made us walked long distance to both Jiufen and Shifen, as we were unfamiliar with the places, we didnt realise tt the places tt she dropped us were inconvenient for us, until we walked the distance then we realised that she cld hv dropped us nearer to the place, but due to the crowd, it will be inconvenient for her. We had elderly and children in our grp, walking in raining day and heavy traffic was really a hassle and dangerous. The fare was not cheap, but the service was not good :( In addition, i booked the van service thru the father, expecting the father but he sent his daughter to us instead, the daughter is a green horn. On the day we met up, she was late for 10mins. Overall, very unhappy with her service.

thanks, we are thinking of Wu Lai or Yilan for the free days

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Taiwan first day today, took the bus 1623 to taichung, website say 2hr 10mins but reality is 3hrs lo... lesson learnt, just take hsr.

Fengjia night market damn crowded today and a lot of singaporeans who dont mind queueing, too tired liao cannot fight with them.

Wear one thick sweater in the day, very hot but at night 2 layer 勉强 wont sweat.
Try heat tech and a 擋風one.
Should be better.

Charlieliu

Reaction score
hi everyone, i'll be spending 5 nights in Taipei in Jan and would like to seek some advice/ recommendations for places to go i.e. for day 4 & 5
This will be my second trip (since 2011) and my partner's first time to Taiwan

Day 1: beitou for private hotspring/ danshui/ shilin night market
Day 2: mao kong/ elephant mountain/ tong hua night market/ raohe/ wufenpu
Day 3: klook shifen/ jiu fen tour/ ximending for mala hot pot
Day 4:
Day 5:
Day 6: ximending before catching afternoon flight back

thanks!!

My recommendation:
Elephant Hill is best go in the late afternoon. Enjoy the early night scene before coming down.

A half day hiking at Yang Ming Shan. There are several spots. I did at 小油坑. Then followed by half day at 故宫博物院 if you are interested. Both Yangmingshan and 故宫博物院 transfer at Jingtan MRT Station, followed by 龙山寺and the Bangha Night Market next to the temple.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My recommendation:
Elephant Hill is best go in the late afternoon. Enjoy the early night scene before coming down.

A half day hiking at Yang Ming Shan. There are several spots. I did at 小油坑. Then followed by half day at 故宫博物院 if you are interested. Both Yangmingshan and 故宫博物院 transfer at Jingtan MRT Station, followed by 龙山寺and the Bangha Night Market next to the temple.
Jiantan station.
艋舺 or mengjia in hanyupinyin or manga in their language.
If i am right, also known as 華西街 area.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/chinese/arrival_baggage

can someone help me with this as the English web only got bonded luggage charges.

I wanna know whats the luggage deposit charges for Taoyuan international airport for 28" luggage as I intended to deposit it there and going to gloria outlet mall shop shop

You intend to go airport and put luggage and come back out?
There are luggage deposit at taoyuan hsr station too.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You intend to go airport and put luggage and come back out?
There are luggage deposit at taoyuan hsr station too.

Bro, any ideas on the HSR locker charges?

I’m intended to take Mrt from airport to XMD upon Saturday noon arrival.
Last day took HSR to Taoyuan Gloria den back to airport check in for return flight.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, any ideas on the HSR locker charges?

I’m intended to take Mrt from airport to XMD upon Saturday noon arrival.
Last day took HSR to Taoyuan Gloria den back to airport check in for return flight.

Mrt from airport to taipei main station and walk to next metro station is a long walk.

Hsr to taoyuan then drop it in luggage locker.
When ended, u take ubus 705 to airport.
Just nice.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mrt from airport to taipei main station and walk to next metro station is a long walk.

Hsr to taoyuan then drop it in luggage locker.
When ended, u take ubus 705 to airport.
Just nice.

Oh because last mth redeem the Taiwan free mrt pass, that’s why thinking of using mrt.
Too long den I think the pass no use for it le.

Monsterness

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went rainbow village haahhah took me 5mins around this "village". Its picture-worthy lo, go once in your life can liao.

In taiwan can really can keep eating and get fat sia

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went rainbow village haahhah took me 5mins around this "village". Its picture-worthy lo, go once in your life can liao.

In taiwan can really can keep eating and get fat sia

Wah 5mins, I still intended to spend 30-60mins there haha.
Bro, any other places u recommended going?

Tentatively I book a driver for 9hrs on the following itinerary
薰衣草森林
草莓世界台中观光果园/自采草莓
台中彩虹眷村
高美湿地

Might go
新社古堡
中社观光花市
Miyahara宫原眼科

Bubblebum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

薰衣草森林
草莓世界台中观光果园/自采草莓
台中彩虹眷村
高美湿地

Might go
新社古堡
中社观光花市
Miyahara宫原眼科

I think quite difficult to cover all in a day. U need to take in the time to travel 1 place to another . Otherwise all will be touch and go.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think quite difficult to cover all in a day. U need to take in the time to travel 1 place to another . Otherwise all will be touch and go.

Erm 1st four places also cannot cover in a day?
Cos remaining 4 I can skipped.

Charlieliu

Reaction score

薰衣草森林
草莓世界台中观光果园/自采草莓
台中彩虹眷村
高美湿地

Might go
新社古堡
中社观光花市
Miyahara宫原眼科

Can try the following if not too far:

鹿港小镇
玻璃博物馆
胜兴车站
龙腾断桥
大甲镇澜宫(one of the most influential temple in Taichung, if you a Chinese custom believer)

Agree 台中彩虹眷村 is touch, take photo and go.
高美湿地 is nice to see sunset. In my case, there was no sunset due to thick cloud. But it was a great experience walking against the strong wind in the dusk.

Bubblebum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Erm 1st four places also cannot cover in a day?
Cos remaining 4 I can skipped.

Shd be fine if for the 1st 4. Can leave the gaomei wetland for sunset viewing. Discuss ur itinerary with driver see if can squeeze in 1 or 2 u wish to go.

Sometime must depend on weather too.

Monsterness

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

薰衣草森林
草莓世界台中观光果园/自采草莓
台中彩虹眷村
高美湿地

Might go
新社古堡
中社观光花市
Miyahara宫原眼科

Is very small area, walk finish in 5mins and very crowded also. But since I spent like 300NT cab fare, want to make it more worthwhile so go squeeze with tourists to take photos. 30mins enough can ba. Can add other destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.