Opinion about Yamaha A-S1200 + Wharfedale Evo 4.2 combo

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is well and healthy.

If you have the below mentioned amp or speakers, will appreciate your information sharing very much.

Currently I have a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless active speakers.
I am enjoying them(for almost 2 years) , but considering getting a 2nd set of system.
** I have no intention of selling them.

I am considering the below;

Yamaha A-S1200 (~ SGD 2,800)

I know the A-S2200 are nicer, but that's a bit over my budget.

Consider to pair them with

Wharfedale Evo 4.2 (~ SGD 1,100)

Like to know anyone using these pair of beautiful speakers?
What is your opinion about these speakers, will they pair well with the Yamaha IA?
I am considering NOT getting the Wharfedale stands (~ SGD 300), but to use the existing KEF stands. Will this be ok?

Thank you very much!

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
any particular reason you picked this combo? something you like particularly (design/ brand)? by price point?

this is speaker + amp. do you have a source already? (like cdp/ streamer/tt)

napoleon bohlumpar

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is well and healthy.

If you have the below mentioned amp or speakers, will appreciate your information sharing very much.

Currently I have a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless active speakers.
I am enjoying them(for almost 2 years) , but considering getting a 2nd set of system.
** I have no intention of selling them.

I am considering the below;

Yamaha A-S1200 (~ SGD 2,800)

I know the A-S2200 are nicer, but that's a bit over my budget.

Consider to pair them with

Wharfedale Evo 4.2 (~ SGD 1,100)

Like to know anyone using these pair of beautiful speakers?
What is your opinion about these speakers, will they pair well with the Yamaha IA?
I am considering NOT getting the Wharfedale stands (~ SGD 300), but to use the existing KEF stands. Will this be ok?

Thank you very much!

go get Usher Audio .......miles ahead of Wharfedale and other Chinese-owned British crap

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which line? Their dancer mini over $1k. Can share how many miles ahead? Most brands make in China at that price point even design and engineering done overseas. Development cost is no doubt cheaper than UK. Which may give them great ROI. Mod Peter plan to get them maybe years ago. Maybe he can shed some light

Last edited:
Reaction score
any particular reason you picked this combo? something you like particularly (design/ brand)? by price point?

this is speaker + amp. do you have a source already? (like cdp/ streamer/tt)

Hi!

I really like how the speakers look for a start. Price point is good, it's been heavily reviewed with positive feedback. I did not have the opportunity to hear them yet.
My current KEF LS50s are bright. I am looking for something warmer and laid back feeling.

The integrated amp (TBA I have not made up my mind on this). I am also considering;

- Marantz PM7000N (all in one box amp + music streamer + DAC, and it is also a cheaper option)

- Cambridge CXA81, I need to get a music streamer for this, but not decided which one. The CXN V2 is out of my budget range

Yes, I have a CDP. I am using the KEF LS50 Wireless, so I have no amp to start with.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I though you would want a more neutral sounding speakers. Music many ppl don’t want to color their content. Then again diff ppl diff wants

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Which line? Their dancer mini over $1k. Can share how many miles ahead? Most brands make in China at that price point even design and engineering done overseas. Development cost is no doubt cheaper than UK. Which may give them great ROI. Mod Peter plan to get them maybe years ago. Maybe he can shed some light

actually their dancer mini x is waaaaay more than 1k, (4.5k to be exact).

there's a new local dealer, shoestring audio or something, can search see, they are on fb and carouhell.

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I really like how the speakers look for a start. Price point is good, it's been heavily reviewed with positive feedback. I did not have the opportunity to hear them yet.
My current KEF LS50s are bright. I am looking for something warmer and laid back feeling.

The integrated amp (TBA I have not made up my mind on this). I am also considering;

- Marantz PM7000N (all in one box amp + music streamer + DAC, and it is also a cheaper option)

- Cambridge CXA81, I need to get a music streamer for this, but not decided which one. The CXN V2 is out of my budget range

Yes, I have a CDP. I am using the KEF LS50 Wireless, so I have no amp to start with.

from some readings, evo 4.2 sounds like what you are looking for. (warm, laid back)
though best to give them a listen, they have dealer in SLS.

as for amp.

if you have 2.8 (thereabouts) to spare, maybe can look at hegel basic model (brand new is about that price also), think i saw one on carouhell for decent price and still with local warranty and i'm sure can nego a bit still. go check.

if you want a simple streamer dac, can look at auralic aries mini (2nd hand though), bluesound node 2i, or nord easy streamer/dac combo, just some suggestions,
if you have some know-how can try rasberry pi/ volumio type of thing.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually their dancer mini x is waaaaay more than 1k, (4.5k to be exact).

there's a new local dealer, shoestring audio or something, can search see, they are on fb and carouhell.

aiyoh, just quoting an example. Prices ya. Miles away is YMMV

okie, i got a "PM" from Shoestring. these are the price's listed "Before Discount"
SD-500 is listed at SGD$2500
DANCER MINI-X is listed at SGD$4500
V-601 is listed at SGD$950
S-520 is listed at SGD$600

Reaction score
from some readings, evo 4.2 sounds like what you are looking for. (warm, laid back)
though best to give them a listen, they have dealer in SLS.

as for amp.

if you have 2.8 (thereabouts) to spare, maybe can look at hegel basic model (brand new is about that price also), think i saw one on carouhell for decent price and still with local warranty and i'm sure can nego a bit still. go check.

if you want a simple streamer dac, can look at auralic aries mini (2nd hand though), bluesound node 2i, or nord easy streamer/dac combo, just some suggestions,
if you have some know-how can try rasberry pi/ volumio type of thing.

Thank you very much for your suggestion/ discussion =)
I got the EVO 4.2 speakers + Audiolab 6000A Play over the weekends and I am happy with the purchase and results.
I went to the shop at SLS (City Elect). Good service received there.
I also felt more welcomed compared to the shops in The Adelphi. (Maybe the things I bought are not expensive / high end).

Cheers!

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^

didn't know 6000a has an integrated + streamer.

should be a good basic setup to start. hope you have spotify premium/ tidal to fully utilize the setup. don't forget to check for playfi setup tips.

yes i agree CE ppl are quite friendly and not like adelphi might have a different vibe.

enjoy your music!

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^

didn't know 6000a has an integrated + streamer.

should be a good basic setup to start. hope you have spotify premium/ tidal to fully utilize the setup. don't forget to check for playfi setup tips.

yes i agree CE ppl are quite friendly and not like adelphi might have a different vibe.

enjoy your music!

Hi hi,

This is the one - https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000a-play/
I am still fiddling around with the Play-Fi app, but able to use the basic functions to play songs =)

Yes, I do get the "your 1-2 thousand dollars purchase, don't waste my time, you want, take and go" feeling at Adelphi. Also, I didn't like the way they put down other brands they don't sell.

CE (skeptical at first because of SLS bad rep) did take it easy on me and showed me the speakers 4.2/4.3/4.4 (I asked). Did a demo and patiently answered all my doubts. Then I decide to get the amp from them too.

Thanks again =)

Charlieliu

Reaction score
Hi hi,

I am still fiddling around with the Play-Fi app, but able to use the basic functions to play songs =)

Yes, I do get the "your 1-2 thousand dollars purchase, don't waste my time, you want, take and go" feeling at Adelphi. Also, I didn't like the way they put down other brands they don't sell.

CE (skeptical at first because of SLS bad rep) did take it easy on me and showed me the speakers 4.2/4.3/4.4 (I asked). Did a demo and patiently answered all my doubts. Then I decide to get the amp from them too.

Thanks again =)
I have an almost similar set up: Wharfedale Evo 4.2 with Audiolab 6000a (non flay version) amplifier. From spec, Evo 4.2 only goes down to 52 Hz (-db). I connect a Wharfedale 10" subwoofer (turn the autosensing off) to the Audiolab 600a's Pre Out. It brings the performance up to another level. The bass is now deeper and fuller. With Evo 4.2 sweet mid range and non fatiguing AMT Tweeter and the deep subwoofer, It is like a system with 4-way speaker. Very satisfying with listen to music which consist of vocal, guitar and bass.

Reaction score
I have an almost similar set up: Wharfedale Evo 4.2 with Audiolab 6000a (non flay version) amplifier. From spec, Evo 4.2 only goes down to 52 Hz (-db). I connect a Wharfedale 10" subwoofer (turn the autosensing off) to the Audiolab 600a's Pre Out. It brings the performance up to another level. The bass is now deeper and fuller. With Evo 4.2 sweet mid range and non fatiguing AMT Tweeter and the deep subwoofer, It is like a system with 4-way speaker. Very satisfying with listen to music which consist of vocal, guitar and bass.
Hi hi!

Yes, our setup is pretty similar.
What is your source for music? CDs?
For sub I am using the SVS SB200 Pro.
Thanks for the suggestion - I will try the "autosensing" also.

Yes you are right. These speakers are easy to listen for long periods of time & it suits the kind of songs I listen to.

Cheers!

Charlieliu

Reaction score
Hi hi!

Yes, our setup is pretty similar.
What is your source for music? CDs?
For sub I am using the SVS SB200 Pro.
Thanks for the suggestion - I will try the "autosensing" also.

Yes you are right. These speakers are easy to listen for long periods of time & it suits the kind of songs I listen to.

Cheers!
I did not visit this forum often, so missed out your reply.

I wish to clarify: I mentioned switching the "autosensing off". Initially my autosensing was switch on and I found the subwoofer output erratic. There is only output when the volume is high. Not sure whether this is peculiar to my subwoofer. I switch the "autosensing" off and it became good from there on.

Other points to share on Evo 4.2:

If you are not bi-wiring (not much tangible advantage), replace the connector plates between the speaker terminals with short good speaker wires. The connectivity and sound would be better.

Disconnect the speaker from the bottom wood plinth. Insert spacers between them so that the bass can emit from the front. This will give a fuller, lower bass. You can refer to . For my desktop setup, I just put hard 1.2cm rubber spacers with blue tacks at the removed bolts locations.

Your model is 6000 Play which I assume can accept audio streaming. Mine is 6000a, so I need to use the Coaxial and Optical In. Below are my connections, for people who are interested with similar type of amp which can act as both pre and power amp at the same time (a versatility of AL6000a)

I ripped all my CDs into lossless Flac files and store in my laptop (have not tried or NAS yet).
I play music on laptop, through USB to a cheap but good Topping D10 DAC (my first and only good and cheap DAC) which as the same ESS 9018 IC.

I do multiple connections from Topping D10 to the Audiolab 6000a as shown below.

1. RCA from D10 to one of the analog input in AL6000a, when I want to listen to the quality of quality of external DAC.

2. Coaxial output from D10 to Coaxial input in AL6000a when I want to listen to the quality of AL6000a DAC. I find no difference in both D110 and AL6000a have the same good ESS 9018 IC. But connection 1 "may" allow a better external DAC to given better sound.

3. As Audiolab does not have tone control, I connect RCA output (by disconnect item 1 above, or use a splitter) to a NFJ&Audio Tube -03 buffer amp (I did change the good stock tube to the better GE33173 but used back the original op amp which is better than what I tried to change). Then I connect the RCA out from Tube 03 to AL6000a Power In. I switch the AL600a to Pre Power Mode. This allows me to add sparkle to the sound, and boost the bass when I do not want to switch on the the subwoofer. What is more interesting is with the D10 Coaxial output simultaneously connected to AL6000a, I can adjust the volume of subwoofer through the pre out anytime using the AL600a front volume control knob or remote controller! I can (hopefully) tailor the sound to my liking.

Item 2 above give a more refined "pure" sound.

Item 3 allows me play round with tone controls and subwoofer volume to have different (not necessarily better) sound without buying new amp or speakers!

I also want to give credit to the BT Aptx of AL6000a. the connection is stable and the audio quality is CD like. For convenient, I play my flac files, listen to radio from apps from my BT Aptx smartphone conveniently anywhere in the room with ability to change music tracks, channels and volume all at my fingertips.
This build in BT Aptx is better than a cheap BT Aptx-HD adapter that I tried. So Aptx is good enough for me.

I do connect my CD player to the AL6000a through optical in but seldom listen to CD. I suppose the sound will be good. However, I love the convenience of playing the lossless files, listening to radio and watching youtube through laptop.

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi hi,

Thanks again =)
How do you find the 4.3 and 4.4? Looking to get a new 5.0 system for HT and music.

Reaction score
How do you find the 4.3 and 4.4? Looking to get a new 5.0 system for HT and music.
Hi Hi,

I didn't try the 4.3, listened to the 4.4s briefly.
I wanted the 4.2 as they are bookshelf (but not really bookshelf size).
The 4.3s looks like miniature size of 4.4s.
The sales recommended to get the 4.2s OR 4.4s.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.