[Opinion] Stepping into digital forensics, GIAC or?

rubbadubbaducky!

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken GIAC certifications recently? I'm looking at GCFA specifically. Do they qualify for CITREP subsidies?

What do you get upon signing up and paying? I know they provide a virtual lab to do your studying and testing. What about reading materials?

Are there any digital forensics certification besides GIAC to recommend? As it is very expensive, not sure how much value I would get out of it or ROI.

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't recall that you can use citrep to pay for sans cert

liewhl

Reaction score
if u work in blue, they dun fund you to take or you cannot claim if u take meh?

seesiang

Reaction score
GIAC is one of the gold standard for Digital Security and since the first day they launched their courses, it was never cheap before.

I would recommend to start off with non-GIAC certificates, and most Digital Security companies (vendor side) have training materials (so try to get into these companies for their training materials). Even you work on user-side, most companies have training funds.

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
GIAC is one of the gold standard for Digital Security and since the first day they launched their courses, it was never cheap before.

I would recommend to start off with non-GIAC certificates, and most Digital Security companies (vendor side) have training materials (so try to get into these companies for their training materials). Even you work on user-side, most companies have training funds.
I think they are overprice.......can just buy a book and read the same topic

devglass

Reaction score
if you have opportunity, go for giac. it's the gold standard for infosec. people normally don't question the certification.

personally i think why sans is expensive because of these instructors. during the session, the instructors will try to relate their "war stories" with the concepts in books so learners can understand better. i recalled i once attended some courses in local institution (i shall not name), where instructors will share "this one FYI, not important for exams:... i was like LOL

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you have opportunity, go for giac. it's the gold standard for infosec. people normally don't question the certification.

personally i think why sans is expensive because of these instructors. during the session, the instructors will try to relate their "war stories" with the concepts in books so learners can understand better. i recalled i once attended some courses in local institution (i shall not name), where instructors will share "this one FYI, not important for exams:... i was like LOL
NUS ISS.....

Sans is overrated.... too expensive

just read Twitter for war stories

zero8611

Reaction score
Has anyone taken GIAC certifications recently? I'm looking at GCFA specifically. Do they qualify for CITREP subsidies?

What do you get upon signing up and paying? I know they provide a virtual lab to do your studying and testing. What about reading materials?

Are there any digital forensics certification besides GIAC to recommend? As it is very expensive, not sure how much value I would get out of it or ROI.
If i am not wrong, GCFA have CITREP funding

seesiang

Reaction score
If i am not wrong, GCFA have CITREP funding
They do but you have to register through that 1 particular company. Scroll up to the first and you will see the company name.

my advise is, don’t take sans first. Aim for other certifications and get entry into security job.

once you are hire, most companies will send you for courses.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.