Optical to RCA cable/converter/adaptor/switcher

Liang32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi audiophiles~

am a noob in AV..

recently bought an LG 42LW4500 3D Full HD LED TV from the Electronics Fair and wanted to try connect it to my pair of multimedia speakers Altec Lansing MX5021...

i got the speakers connected to my PS3 via RCA..but i couldnt find any RCA Audio output on the TV.. only an Optical/Digital output...

i am trying to use the pair of speakers for both TV watching and PS3 gaming/blueray/DVD movies....

so my qns is.. is there such a cable as title?
1 head is Optical(square square de if i not wrong), the other head is RCA(white & red)

if yes, where can i find it? been to a few hardware shops but to no avail...
if no, whats my alternative?

thnx in advance AV pros..
:D

knight80

Reaction score
Liang I also have the same problem, after I bought a new 55 inch led tv I din realize it does not even have red/white cable, nw most led are optical I think this will one day force the analog HT to phase out v soon. Now I'm thinking whether to buy a digital HT or soundbar or get a converter. But I think a converter can be quite expensive and u will lose sound quality through audio conversion...

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh.. so need something like that..a box-like converter..
wasnt as cheap as i expected lol..

can i find this in Sim Lim Tower or anywhere?

fiio d3 is the cheapest DAC that i know.. and getting it from dealextreme is cheaper than buying locally.. just that delivery may take about a month or so..

Liang32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm okok thnx for the inputs guys lol..
guess i can tahan waiting 1mth bah?
anyway the default sound of the TV aint that bad.(or is my expectation too low on sounds hehe)..

@knight80
bro, after the advice by tk, i found a few other kinds of converters pricing was average SGD$30~$40..
IMHO, i think that amount should be quite reasonable to enjoy better sound? haha..

Liang32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh btw thnx a million for the shop link bro!
i think i'd rather get it locally for abit more rather then from Ebay which is a few dollars cheaper..

appreciated!
:D

bluemint

Reaction score
2j1kl8p.jpg

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I found it yesterday and the recommended kind of gadget solved the problem I was having.

However, I thought I should tell you guys the gadget I eventually ordered from TaoBao. It's basically the same as recommended by bros, but it is more flexible. Not only does it takes in Optical and Coaxial digital input, and output to analog RCA, it also:

1. takes in Coaxial digital input, and converts to Optical output

2. Takes in four digital input sources (2 optical + 2 Coaxial), converts to one digital optical output, one RCA analog output, and one 3.5mm headphone output, simultaneously. Essentially become a selector for 4 input sources, and output to 1 digital output and 2 analog output of your choice, simultaneously if needed.

In my case, my TV has two HDMI inputs (bluray & karaoke) but only one Toslink audio output (like many TVs do.)

So my TV optical audio output goes into this gadget, and its (a) optical output goes to my high-end 5.1 audio system's optical input (essentially working as a bypass), while (b) the RCA analog output goes to my low-end Karaoke Mixer/Amp/Speakers system. One input for two seperate sets of sound systems!

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.9.10.TJT1Rk&id=45449656761&_u=2ceiu13589b

"HN数字音频同轴转光纤转模拟转换器SPDIF电视Digital转换红白3.5" <- search for this if link is broken

bluemint

Reaction score
PS. If you use this gadget, just power it with the supplied USB power cable, tapping power from your TV/Amp's USB point; nonit to use the AC adapter.

Solidus_GZ

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up old thread
My dad had a old Kenwood sound system for 20 years, the thing is he had not able to plug into his LG TV as all TV nowadays only has digital output
I try using the device but can only get one side of speaker sound and base is gone, is there a better solution for this conversion? I also went to look up for Sonos they recommend me to connect the old speaker with with Sonos port and tv to Sonos sound bar to get it work.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.