Optimizing WiFi speed on Asus router(AX92U)

kmchow98

Reaction score
I know this is a great site for network questions. I could look at the current topics, but they are pretty overwhelming.

So I upgraded to the Singtel Mesh to the ASUS AX92U. I really wanted the AX86U, but was not liking the red Zaku theme. Plus the AX92U is really compact.
Long story short, the router works great, stable and good WiFi strength in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
On my PC, I get 95% WiFi strength consistently. On the Intel 3168 AC WiFi on my PC, the speed indicates 390 Mbps.

I think it should be higher or maybe I just don't know how to actually check the speed.
I got 2 questions.

1) How should I test the WiFi speed between PC and router?
2) Is there any recommended settings I should make on the Asus router? (I assume they are common among Asus AX routers)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know this is a great site for network questions. I could look at the current topics, but they are pretty overwhelming.

So I upgraded to the Singtel Mesh to the ASUS AX92U. I really wanted the AX86U, but was not liking the red Zaku theme. Plus the AX92U is really compact.
Long story short, the router works great, stable and good WiFi strength in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
On my PC, I get 95% WiFi strength consistently. On the Intel 3168 AC WiFi on my PC, the speed indicates 390 Mbps.

I think it should be higher or maybe I just don't know how to actually check the speed.
I got 2 questions.

1) How should I test the WiFi speed between PC and router?
2) Is there any recommended settings I should make on the Asus router? (I assume they are common among Asus AX routers)

You are getting a very good result of 390Mbps from your 1*1 AC Wifi card (theoretical max speed 433Mbps), normally you will get about 70% of the max speed and 80% will be considered very good. You are getting 90% which is wonderful for AC device.

So for your case, please upgrade your old wifi card to Intel AX200 based which is pretty cheap.

Ref: Intel AC2168 spec
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94854/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-3168.htmlNetworking Specifications
TX/RX Streams: 1x1

Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz

Max Speed: 433 Mbps

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED*: 802.11ac

kmchow98

Reaction score
Oh, thanks. I see that now.
Cannot really upgrade the card as it is integrated to the B450 itx motherboard.

I was looking at the Asus router and see so many options. Almost feel like one of those switches will boost wifi even more. :)

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, thanks. I see that now.
Cannot really upgrade the card as it is integrated to the B450 itx motherboard.

I was looking at the Asus router and see so many options. Almost feel like one of those switches will boost wifi even more. :)
You will need to upgrade the wifi card to see a more significant boost in speeds.
In your case, only option is USB since no additional pcie slots on ITX board for external wifi cards.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.