Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I really confused now... I looked up the Customs website and it says this:

There are 4 categories of dutiable goods:
Intoxicating liquors
Tobacco products
Motor vehicles
Petroleum products and biodiesel blends
Please refer to the list of dutiable goods for their respective duty rates. All other products are non-dutiable.

https://www.customs.gov.sg/businesses/valuation-duties-taxes-and-fees/duties-and-dutiable-goods

Iirc no duty on electronic, someone imported coffee grinder those $1k type and subwoofer didn’t recall seeing duty.

Cost to ship such fragile stuff can cost a bomb

wmheng

Reaction score
Could you share which model did you buy?

I know in the past LG TVs sold in US were labelled as 110-240V. I even brought one back previously and it worked. But now I am reading that recently the labels are all showing 110V only. However, I am reading in some forums that the underlying hardware is actually capable of dual voltage (110-240V), which explains why you did not have any problem.
The problem is... Whether all US TVs are as such or only certain brands or even worse... Certain models only... Does anyone know? I am looking to buy one TV from US to use in Singapore. But now all the TVs are labelled as 110V...

wmheng

Reaction score
Sorry for replying to a 2019 post, I am looking at bringing in a TV from US as well. Previously LG TVs sold in US were labelled 110-240V and I did bring in one with no issues. Recently, I see the LG TVs in US are now labelled at 110V-120V only. But have heard of some folks who are using them direct in Singapore without transformer.

I also read in another forum along the same lines of what you said about the underlying hardware is capable of dual voltage but had to label due to legislation. Now the hard part of buying a TV from US is... knowing which ones really is capable of dual voltage...

Do you have any advice or sharing on this? I am looking to bring in one more. Not sure which is okay now though.

aErOpLaNe911

Reaction score
A query, or maybe a rant in disguise. Why is LG C1 77 inch going for S$9,000-10,000 here, but only US$3,800 (equivalent to less than S$5,000) in the US?

boxerfan

Reaction score
A query, or maybe a rant in disguise. Why is LG C1 77 inch going for S$9,000-10,000 here, but only US$3,800 (equivalent to less than S$5,000) in the US?

Because LG Singapore gleefully enjoy carroting SG consumers.

SG consumers refuse to make a stand and boycott them for a few months, and hurt the LG’s sell through volume.

badbad2000

Reaction score
Just realized China sell 77" a80j half price of us here.

I checked can switch to English menu.

Dont think the tuner can be used and the android may end up all Chinese app.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just realized China sell 77" a80j half price of us here.

I checked can switch to English menu.

Dont think the tuner can be used and the android may end up all Chinese app.
If ure planning to import it, do let us know how it turns out.

badbad2000

Reaction score
If ure planning to import it, do let us know how it turns out.
will need ask them test and show picture, crating before ship out. but risk is no warranty.
anyway, oled burn in also no warranty.

i still undecided if go for qn90a or oled. is oled really need dim down light to watch?

Last edited:

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will need ask them test and show picture, crating before ship out. but risk is no warranty.

i still undecided if go for qn90a or oled. is oled really need dim down light to watch?
I think that's a little exaggerated... Unless you are watching in a really bright place, otherwise the oled will be fine. For burn in, at least based on some feedback in this forum, those who bought the early generation LG oleds, some of them have experienced burn in >3 years). Not all cases though. Some reported that their TVs are perfectly fine. Moreover, some are saying that this should no longer be an issue for later models after other software safeguards will built in. That could be true, but it could also be a matter of time/hours that TVs have been used. Up to you lah. I kiasi + I love bright TVs so I just got the z9d.

petetherock

Reaction score

I've used OLED in a bright room, but without the sun shining directly on the screen and it's fine. But sunlight on the panel does play havoc.

badbad2000

Reaction score
I think that's a little exaggerated... Unless you are watching in a really bright place, otherwise the oled will be fine. For burn in, at least based on some feedback in this forum, those who bought the early generation LG oleds, some of them have experienced burn in >3 years). Not all cases though. Some reported that their TVs are perfectly fine. Moreover, some are saying that this should no longer be an issue for later models after other software safeguards will built in. That could be true, but it could also be a matter of time/hours that TVs have been used. Up to you lah. I kiasi + I love bright TVs so I just got the z9d.
ya i read most report is from early gen oled.

badbad2000

Reaction score
I've used OLED in a bright room, but without the sun shining directly on the screen and it's fine. But sunlight on the panel does play havoc.
my location no direct sun but at night prefer turn on light to watch. dont like it too dim or dark.

mandycandy

Reaction score
These days, local pricing is compatible or competitive. Don’t think you need to trouble around now

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These days, local pricing is compatible or competitive. Don’t think you need to trouble around now
77 oled still not competitive enough, no doubt it did come down a lot vs last year, 77cx last year was 13k, now 77c1 8k can get. However….. overseas even with no discount rrp is 5k sgd, then with discount can get for like 4K sgd. really not competitive here

lolthestone

Reaction score
Hi bros

Planning to buy a 50 inch tcl TV from China JD/Taobao.

Anyone done this before? Can share which forwarder you use and shipping cost you paid.

Thanks so much.

O'Ren~

Reaction score
Anyone planning to or already bought an 85” TV from the US?
The markup locally is so high, I would save thousands of dollars by buying it overseas and shipping it here.

Here’s the challenges I identified so far, please tell me if I missed any!

1. Voltage is not compatible
Solution: Use a transformer. I already own a few smaller appliances from USA and use a transformer for them, but not sure if this would work on a TV? Also apparently the set can be advertised as 110V but capable of dual voltage.

2. No warranty in SG
Solution: None. If anyone has any idea how to get an international warranty from Samsung, let me know..

3. Risk of damage while shipping
Solution: Get an insurance. I have not found one that would cover the whole cost of the TV yet. EzBuy will ship an 85” and will cover up to $2,000 (unclear if SGD or USD) and insurance is capped at $200 cost I think. They also can do crating at their warehouse before shipping, to protect the TV more. I have yet to ask other forwarding services.

4. Shipping fee and GST
Solution: GST will be around ~400 SGD max for the Samsung 85” QN90A model. Shipping calculator from ezBuy places the shipping cost between $400-800. So a total of about $1,200 SGD max

If I manage to pull this off, I would be paying around $6,600 SGD for the 85” QN90A instead of the current best retail price of ~$12,100 SGD.

The two questions for me to solve are:

1. Can Samsung cover the repairs if item is bought in the USA?
2. Can I find a forwarder with insurance that will cover the full value of the TV?

If anyone has advice and helpful comment to make this happen, please let me know!

I appreciate it if you want to recommend me another model locally, but I’m set on the QN90A and want to try and look into this import fully :)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.