Paris - 9 Days Tips & what to buy

slasherkenshin

Reaction score
Hi All,

Planned a last min. trip with my wife to Paris early Dec. It will be our first time there

Will be staying the La Marais area for the first 6 days and will move to the Opera neighbour hood in the last 3 days (to facilitate shopping lol)

Any recommendations on what would be must buys ? (Watch shopping? branded stuff that might be cheaper?)

Any places that we will need to visit? (am planning a day trip to one of the nearby towns outside of Paris; was wondering if there are must visits? Versailles?)

Any tips or watch outs (neighbourhood to avoid etc)

I'm also considering getting Youtrip to exchange some Euro in case we might need to draw from ATMs - is the Youtrip prepaid Mastercard readily usable in Paris? (I heard ppl have trouble using it in Switzerland; not sure if it will be the same)

Any tips or comments welcomed!

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Brand stuff are cheaper and tax rebate is crucial.
Versailles makes a good visit for its palace, but you will not have much time for anything besides its palace.
You will still need cash on hand if you mind paying $5 for each ATM withdrawal. Use it as a debit card foremost and a backup for cash when you run out.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Planned a last min. trip with my wife to Paris early Dec. It will be our first time there

Will be staying the La Marais area for the first 6 days and will move to the Opera neighbour hood in the last 3 days (to facilitate shopping lol)

Any recommendations on what would be must buys ? (Watch shopping? branded stuff that might be cheaper?)

Any places that we will need to visit? (am planning a day trip to one of the nearby towns outside of Paris; was wondering if there are must visits? Versailles?)

Any tips or watch outs (neighbourhood to avoid etc)

Any tips or comments welcomed!
Versailles is really nice
Can make it as a day trip.

I like the student Latin Quatier section of Paris.
Can take a short walk around.

The area around the Seine River is cool too but sadly Notre Dame church burned down a few years ago.

Montmarte is also interesting.
There is a church there as well as markets.
It is on a hill n can see Paris well n also a residential area.

Paris museums are really good.
Louvre can easily take 2 days
Also recommend Musee Dorsay for Impressionist art like Monet n Renoir.

Can also walk down Champs Elysee w the many fancy ships there.

Luxury goods are much cheaper esp w tax rebate factored in.

Pls pls be careful of pickpockets n thieves!
Don't flaunt your wealth.
So many stories of tourists getting their luxury items stolen.

Eiffel tower is overrated.
Don't bother going up.
Seeing from a distance is fine.

There is also the Catacombs.
Lots of skulls n bones buried deep beneath Paris which u can tour. A bit scary..for me at least.

Be aware of food pricing n make sure pricing is on the menu so won't get ripped off.

Can learn some basic French words n phrases before u go.
French is really easy for English speakers.

Personally 9 days in Paris is a bit long.

Have u been to London?
Maybe can consider a few days in London too.

The French countryside like Provence is also very nice.
With high speed train, doesn't take long to go.

WadsUpDoc

Reaction score
9 days in Paris is a bit long, unless you intend to spend several days either visiting many many museums or doing many many shopping.

Branded goods shopping will likely be crowded - I heard you can make a reservation for a slot. Might be something to consider for u all - go visit in the morning, if packed, make a booking for later in the day/few days later and go explore Paris’ attractions first.

I heard other parts of France like Nice and Marseille quite nice also, you may consider. But I haven’t been so can’t advise sorry. Or even other European countries which will be 2-3 hours train away.

No issues with YouTrip in my trip to Paris. Everywhere accepts card.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
9 days is not too long, but you can do well with a day excursion in the middle, to Versailles or Fontainebleau. When I put together all my touristic activities there, it added up to 2 weeks of visiting museums, parks, shows and places of interest. Paris ranks top of my list for the number of things to do and sights to see.

mp4005 help

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nowadays don’t forget to declare GST for items too , recent news seems like more people getting caught not declaring.
shopping just google.
Hermes - need to make leather appointment else can walk in for other things to buy, Chanel queue is quite crazy or the waiting time.
think everything is cheaper than in sg retail price wise. but some things can get around the same price from grey market locally.

Paris - can try a few good restaurants , visit museums such as the louvre, etc.

I bought the 10 metro tickets to use within zone 1 which is good enough , 16 euros +.
can Uber too.

if have time can take train to the outlet at Val de Europe, zone 5 train.need to buy separate ticket.

day trip to Versailles .

Sent from EDMWER app!

lostasor22

Reaction score
Just back from Paris, do watch YouTube videos on the scams and pickpocket techniques. Really helpful, personally encountered a few during my time there. Even got my backpack opened without me knowing it. But fortunately, all my valuables are kept in my front pouch.

9 days in Paris is too long, there are much better things to do in other cities in France.

Honda_typeR

Reaction score
I did a week last month, with day trips to Disney, La vallee village. Wanted to do Versailles but did not had enough time.

slasherkenshin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your tips haha. Haven’t got time to plan the itinerary and reference your recommendationS coz of work

We just landed here in paris and we will take today slow for now. Will have a look and plan out the rest of our days tonight

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.