 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
finally Citibank joins the party.

Citi today announced that its credit cards issued in Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong can now be used with Apple Pay, followed by Taiwan later this year.

Citibank was holding back for these 4 countries.

Citibank holds the largest credit cards market share in Singapore. (at least in 2015)

welcome to the party.

too bad i moved on :)

Dingding6

Reaction score
it depends on the terminal, not bank.
many UOB paywave/paypass terminals can exceed $100 limit with any bank's card.

My last attempt cannot go over $100 with other Bank on UOB terminal.

When I enquire, they redirect me to their website stating pay wave limit to $100 maximum

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
these few days tried ABT with iphone on mrt... although all success, but the processing time sometimes 1s, sometimes 2s or 3s.
not sure is gesture problem or reader's signal strong/weak problem.
i found that putting a finger to make a gap may block the nfc and make it slower.
anyone has found the best gesture to tap iphone on mrt?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

When I enquire, they redirect me to their website stating pay wave limit to $100 maximum

maybe that terminal cannot accept >100. only some uob terminals can... i rmb citibank terminal some also can.
i tried before using a non-uob card for insert/swipe because >100, then the cashier go tap and told me their terminal can use contactless for >100, just need to sign. the next time i use apple pay on that terminal also >100, no need to sign (i guess it's because mobile transaction).

Jirachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
these few days tried ABT with iphone on mrt... although all success, but the processing time sometimes 1s, sometimes 2s or 3s.
i found that putting a finger to make a gap may block the nfc and make it slower.

How did you position your device? I realise that the NFC chip on the iPhone X is just beside the camera module.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not the terminal that restricts, its the merchant you are purchasing at restricts the $100 limit. Merchant needs to have an agreement with the bank first before the terminal can be configured to allow >100 dollars purchase.

I just paid for a bill >100 dollars at Shabu-Sai using samsung pay, but apple pay is also supported there..

Dingding6

Reaction score
Not the terminal that restricts, its the merchant you are purchasing at restricts the $100 limit. Merchant needs to have an agreement with the bank first before the terminal can be configured to allow >100 dollars purchase.

I just paid for a bill >100 dollars at Shabu-Sai using samsung pay, but apple pay is also supported there..

i remember there is also Credit Card own limitation as well.....

DBS card paywave cannot go over $100, but OCBC Card can.....as long as the merchant or bank don't limit it.....

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mine so far all success except for twice it shows card error for a second before 'bank card usage'.

I use my Apple Watch all the time and I noticed I need to bring the watch to about screen touching the scanner surface then can detect. Sometimes will take more than a second.

Slavor

Reaction score
I think that's an old limitation, I just paid for a meal using DBS livefresh that cost more than $100 a few weeks back...

i remember there is also Credit Card own limitation as well.....

DBS card paywave cannot go over $100, but OCBC Card can.....as long as the merchant or bank don't limit it.....

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Samsung pay on my s9 seems to be having a much harder time tapping on bus compared to Google Pay on my pixel 2.

Not sure why but it'll take like 2 seconds on the s9 and I have to try and find the sweet spot

Whereas pixel 2 I just hover the phone above the scanner and done.

Of course I can try using Google Pay on my s9. But samsung pay earns points and I don't wanna use more than one platform.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because you aim wrongly lor. I'll be posting a s9 guide on Samsung forum.

A parent note 8 s8 series s9 series have special nfc wireless charging module. Nb, their engineering really special one sia..

Samsung pay on my s9 seems to be having a much harder time tapping on bus compared to Google Pay on my pixel 2.

Not sure why but it'll take like 2 seconds on the s9 and I have to try and find the sweet spot

Whereas pixel 2 I just hover the phone above the scanner and done.

Of course I can try using Google Pay on my s9. But samsung pay earns points and I don't wanna use more than one platform.

tec_geek

Reaction score
Saw this on SGAG and I think it truly represents us (or at least for me) when the terminal doesn't detect or work with our device.

wNcCfMY.jpg

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
How did you position your device? I realise that the NFC chip on the iPhone X is just beside the camera module.

iphone's nfc antenna is at top, so best is pointing the top like remote control style.
i tried putting a finger at top to make a gap and tap the top of back cover, the response is slow. seems like cannot put finger there, it will block the nfc. also cannot tap the top back cover parallel with reader, have to point the tip of iphone at the reader.

after some tries, i feel that the best gesture is like the following 2 images.
but the 1st image the gap seems too large, some weaker readers cannot detect. then 2nd image the iphone touches the reader, some of us found that touching the reader also cannot detect.
so how much gap is the best?
apple-pay-japan-marcom.png

apple_pay_unionpay.jpg

Dingding6

Reaction score
iphone's nfc antenna is at top, so best is pointing the top like remote control style.
i tried putting a finger at top to make a gap and tap the top of back cover, the response is slow. seems like cannot put finger there, it will block the nfc. also cannot tap the top back cover parallel with reader, have to point the tip of iphone at the reader.

after some tries, i feel that the best gesture is like the following 2 images.
but the 1st image the gap seems too large, some weaker readers cannot detect. then 2nd image the iphone touches the reader, some of us found that touching the reader also cannot detect.
so how much gap is the best?
apple-pay-japan-marcom.png

apple_pay_unionpay.jpg

i don't know how you position your finger, but if i were to use finger as a gap,

when i grab my phone, palm on the screen, finger on the side, it's like a spider leg on the side of the phone, like that you can easily adjust a fixed gap

like the 1st picture, but palm at the screen instead of back

Last edited:

Tyrian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally added Citibank into Apple Pay already. Can see my premier miles as default rather than the POSB Everyday card.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.