PetPet

Reaction score
1. Double press on your power button.
2. Authenticate
3. Tap on reader

azeris10

Reaction score
Really wish the system would be more like japan suica

Don’t need to do face id or Touch ID authentication before tapping through fare gates when was using in japan

tricolours

Reaction score
Do i have to tap on the reader, and then press power button twice and verified by face ID in order to pass through the gantry?

As per our members reply.

1) Double click on the power button if you are using iPhone with Face ID authentication. Double click on home button for iPhone 5,6,7 and 8 and authenticate with your finger print. You can authenticate slightly earlier before reaching the gantry or bus exit. Don’t do too early. Don’t authenticate only when you reach the gantry it takes 1 second to authenticate and another second to read your phone reader.

2) Once it’s authentic, rest the top part of your phone on the reader which is the grey area (not on the reader screen as I have seen people doing that!).

3) You will see a short message on the reader screen and you will hear a short beep on both your phone and EZ Link reader.

Sounds a bit complicated at first but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy. When ABT officially launch, I will register with my Apple Watch 4 as it’s more sensitive to the reader. Plus no need authentication with Apple Watch! At the moment EZLink cards are still the best to use as the reader technology blends well with the card. Until Transit Link Company are able to learn Japan Suica technology, we still have some catching up. Suica works flawlessly when I was in Tokyo. Topping up was easy. Going thru the gantry was a breeze. Everything was easy! Singapore companies just isn’t talking to each other. So that’s why there are so many kinds of cards and made it hard for the commuters.

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Sucks that for iphones, this is still on trial. What is Singapore govt doing? Maybe they think ezlink card is already enough, cashless but not quite mobile yet.

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
As per our members reply.

1) Double click on the power button if you are using iPhone with Face ID authentication. Double click on home button for iPhone 5,6,7 and 8 and authenticate with your finger print. You can authenticate slightly earlier before reaching the gantry or bus exit. Don’t do too early. Don’t authenticate only when you reach the gantry it takes 1 second to authenticate and another second to read your phone reader.

2) Once it’s authentic, rest the top part of your phone on the reader which is the grey area (not on the reader screen as I have seen people doing that!).

3) You will see a short message on the reader screen and you will hear a short beep on both your phone and EZ Link reader.

Sounds a bit complicated at first but once you get the hang of it, it’s easy. When ABT officially launch, I will register with my Apple Watch 4 as it’s more sensitive to the reader. Plus no need authentication with Apple Watch! At the moment EZLink cards are still the best to use as the reader technology blends well with the card. Until Transit Link Company are able to learn Japan Suica technology, we still have some catching up. Suica works flawlessly when I was in Tokyo. Topping up was easy. Going thru the gantry was a breeze. Everything was easy! Singapore companies just isn’t talking to each other. So that’s why there are so many kinds of cards and made it hard for the commuters.
We were on FeLiCa (NFC-F) with the previous generation EZ-Link, but we have moved away due to the need to develop our own CEPAS standards (NFC-B) to merge with CashCard system used in ERP and to support the switch to DBTF.

However, most CEPAS readers follow closely to the standards of 140ms response time, while most FeLiCa transit readers supporting Suica clock in at 50ms response time despite a published requirement of 200ms (non-transit card readers used by third parties would be closer to the 200ms standards). Even Octopus readers using FeLiCa clock in at 100ms. That explains the responsiveness of Suica readers in Japan.

There is hope however, as there is news that EasyCard in Taiwan (MiFARE over NFC-B) might support Apple Pay in the future. In the nearer term, Octopus is rumoured to end its exclusive tie-up with Samsung Pay soon and open its wallet services to Apple Pay very soon.

Seederad

Reaction score
We were on FeLiCa (NFC-F) with the previous generation EZ-Link, but we have moved away due to the need to develop our own CEPAS standards (NFC-B) to merge with CashCard system used in ERP and to support the switch to DBTF.

There is hope however, as there is news that EasyCard in Taiwan (MiFARE over NFC-B) might support Apple Pay in the future. In the nearer term, Octopus is rumoured to end its exclusive tie-up with Samsung Pay soon and open its wallet services to Apple Pay very soon.

Hope for what? Supporting MIFARE standards doesn't mean CEPAS will be compatible, and it's already taking such a huge amount of time for LTA to support EMV acceptance from mobile devices, I cannot imagine how many generations of phones will have to be released before anything concrete will happen with mobile phone manufacturers to fully incorporate EZ Link and its backend systems.

And from where did you find out that CEPAS is NFC-B? I've been searching for more details about CEPAS but can't seem to find it anywhere. :s22:

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hope for what? Supporting MIFARE standards doesn't mean CEPAS will be compatible, and it's already taking such a huge amount of time for LTA to support EMV acceptance from mobile devices, I cannot imagine how many generations of phones will have to be released before anything concrete will happen with mobile phone manufacturers to fully incorporate EZ Link and its backend systems.

And from where did you find out that CEPAS is NFC-B? I've been searching for more details about CEPAS but can't seem to find it anywhere. :s22:
Significance is in proving the concept that it works technically :o

I believe it is somewhere in Reddit using a device to read the NFC output from a CEPAS card...

Slavor

Reaction score
So by now followers of this thread will know that cards under the MasterCard trial have a hard limit on how many times you can use the card for the public transport trial. I myself have experienced this twice: both my original passion card and replacement passion card were unable to use for public transport roughly a year after first using. At first I thought it was due to card failure but after some follow up by fellow posters it became clear it was bank policy.

Now this same limit has hit my iPhone X. I tried at two separate mrt stations and all the times that I tried I got the error “Unable to complete payment” on my Apple Pay. I haven’t tried making a normal Apple Pay transaction (will try shortly), but I’m fairly confident this is due to the hard limit imposed by the banks.

Unfortunately this is my last Apple device which I registered for the trial, and I’ll be switching to my atm card for payment from now onwards. Hopefully LTA can finish up their testing and officially launch this year?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Just tap using the top half of your phone if you using iPhone. It doesn’t work when you try to tap the middle part of the phone. The sensor of the phone is at top part. I have only 1 failure out of 50 tries. Me using iPhone X first gen.

most of us in this thread know about this (iphone nfc at top edge) already, so this is not the prob.
during early days of mobile ABT trial, the readers are terrible - tap iphone (top part) or watch nicely and steadily, the mrt readers gave red light (card error or unknown error). repeatedly tap on the same reader still get red light, until u change to another mrt gantry then can get green light. while some bus readers got no response at all.
the experience was terrible so all of us stop using mobile ABT until now.

but from ur experience, seems like the readers can read iphone and watch smoothly now... i will wait for public launch then only try again to confirm that they have fixed the stability issue.

tricolours

Reaction score
most of us in this thread know about this (iphone nfc at top edge) already, so this is not the prob.
during early days of mobile ABT trial, the readers are terrible - tap iphone (top part) or watch nicely and steadily, the mrt readers gave red light (card error or unknown error). repeatedly tap on the same reader still get red light, until u change to another mrt gantry then can get green light. while some bus readers got no response at all.
the experience was terrible so all of us stop using mobile ABT until now.

but from ur experience, seems like the readers can read iphone and watch smoothly now... i will wait for public launch then only try again to confirm that they have fixed the stability issue.
Hiya, cannot test liao! SMRT & SbsTransit totally turn off the system liao. Yes it’s probably good news that trial period is finally over. As usual tune on quietly and turn off quietly so they don’t get public backlash.

I just hope they will launch soon as I am hoping for the new Apple Warch 4 will be far more responsive.

Slavor

Reaction score
Oh? You can’t use yours on public transport already?

Hiya, cannot test liao! SMRT & SbsTransit totally turn off the system liao. Yes it’s probably good news that trial period is finally over. As usual tune on quietly and turn off quietly so they don’t get public backlash.

I just hope they will launch soon as I am hoping for the new Apple Warch 4 will be far more responsive.

kalala

Master Member
Reaction score
does it mean even those early trial users now will not be able to use the mobile for transitlink?

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Part of the SimplyGo framework by TransitLink, announced in the MOT COS debate today.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, it should be.

Btw, can try using Apple Pay to tap in from now on, even before 4 April. Of course, during off-peak period lah.

So do users need to register a simplygo account in order to tap with phone or no need can just activate Apple Pay and tap without any registrations?

otacon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just switched to using my POSB EVERYDAY n applied for auto top up via the ezlink

Used to use ABT but is hard to trace records if u using 1 credit card too frequently

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F

PetPet

Reaction score
I just switched to using my POSB EVERYDAY n applied for auto top up via the ezlink

Used to use ABT but is hard to trace records if u using 1 credit card too frequently

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F
Hmm, you mean too many records?
You could track your travel through the ABT portal itself.

Part of the SimplyGo framework by TransitLink, announced in the MOT COS debate today.

:D :D :D

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.