PES F repercussions

K1ngstxn

Reaction score
Hi, I have major depressive disorder diagnosed by IMH and been serving national service the past few months. Recently MO called me up to speak to me regarding my condition and recommended me to downgrade to PES F because of the unfortunate River Valley incident, fearing for the safety of my fellow NS men.

I have qualms with downgrading to PES F as there’s much uncertainty ahead. My main concerns are
1) purchasing insurance - how will my pes status affect buying of insurance? Im looking to get insured with early critical illness protection and life insurance.
2) studies - im looking to further my studies at UK. Will my pes status affect my student visa application / university admission
3) employment - understandably there’s a stigma surrounding mental disorders and from a HR point of view I will be having second thoughts hiring me. I hear that private sectors love pes F personnel because they don’t have reservist, but apart from these anything I have to take note of?
4) purchasing housing property - will my PES status affect purchase of government housing property? Will it affect purchase of private
property?

Apart from these 4 specific concerns, how or would my PES F status affect anything else? There is rumoured for PES F personnel to be classified as second class citizens. Appreciate the input thanks.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have major depressive disorder diagnosed by IMH and been serving national service the past few months. Recently MO called me up to speak to me regarding my condition and recommended me to downgrade to PES F because of the unfortunate River Valley incident, fearing for the safety of my fellow NS men.

I have qualms with downgrading to PES F as there’s much uncertainty ahead. My main concerns are
1) purchasing insurance - how will my pes status affect buying of insurance? Im looking to get insured with early critical illness protection and life insurance.
2) studies - im looking to further my studies at UK. Will my pes status affect my student visa application / university admission
3) employment - understandably there’s a stigma surrounding mental disorders and from a HR point of view I will be having second thoughts hiring me. I hear that private sectors love pes F personnel because they don’t have reservist, but apart from these anything I have to take note of?
4) purchasing housing property - will my PES status affect purchase of government housing property? Will it affect purchase of private
property?

Apart from these 4 specific concerns, how or would my PES F status affect anything else? There is rumoured for PES F personnel to be classified as second class citizens. Appreciate the input thanks.
1) whether you are PES F or not, your medical condition is a fact hence insurer will have to assess based on that

2) it depends on the overseas immigration rules and the universities criteria. I don’t think they care about your PES status, but they may care about your medical condition

3) again, not so much about pes status. Some companies don’t even ask. But they care about your medical condition

4) check HDB website for public housing. For private housing, why will the seller care about your pes status? If you are willing to pay for their property that’s what’s important.

please share more about what you heard about 2nd class citizens?

crimsontactics

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

property?

Hard for you to apply for civil service jobs if you are PES F.

McFadden

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pes f a little tough cause they will ask you what medical condition u have.
I pes e with mental illness.sometimes interview will ask why pea e.

SJWftw

Reaction score

property?

try NationalServiceSG subreddit :)

Chao_Ah_Tiong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think more or less (local) employers will be alerted on why a male citizen does not required to do NS. However I don't think it will affect your application to UK university.

During my active days there was one guy in my unit with some intelligential disabilities that initially the MO wanted to give him PES F but after some appeal he ended up PES E1L9 and became a storeman.

natnaes

Reaction score

property?

1) You already have the diagnosis, it means that when you purchase your insurance it will be taken into consideration as a pre-existing condition.
2,3,4) Personally have never heard of any private institutions asking about PES status.

K1ngstxn

Reaction score
1) You already have the diagnosis, it means that when you purchase your insurance it will be taken into consideration as a pre-existing condition.
2,3,4) Personally have never heard of any private institutions asking about PES status.

Just spoke to few Insurance Agents recently and I shared with him my interest in early CI and whole life insurance. They are saying typically for such diagnosis I’m encouraged to go get a discharge letter from IMH and submit to the insurance company. Such situation the insurance companies have to go thru a case by case basis whereby they will speak with my doctor etc. I will be able to get insured but might face higher premium etc. They also shared with me some of the clients they insured previously had same situation. But they got discharged by IMH for 1-2 years and applied for insurance so it was easier.

CaptainSGP

Reaction score
Just spoke to few Insurance Agents recently and I shared with him my interest in early CI and whole life insurance. They are saying typically for such diagnosis I’m encouraged to go get a discharge letter from IMH and submit to the insurance company. Such situation the insurance companies have to go thru a case by case basis whereby they will speak with my doctor etc. I will be able to get insured but might face higher premium etc. They also shared with me some of the clients they insured previously had same situation. But they got discharged by IMH for 1-2 years and applied for insurance so it was easier.
Why do u need insurance at your age when u don’t have dependents ?

natnaes

Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what it means that the diagnosis will have been taken into consideration as a pre-existing condition. Depending on the insurance company also, a discharge letter may help in their decision to take on your case, and it could lead to higher premium or exclusions in coverage such as suicide. Again, this would be case-by-case and different insurers might view the case differently.

Schizoman

Reaction score
I am PES F for mental health also. I am degree holder but cannot get pass job interviews. Doing Grab now

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
think it will attract unnecessary attention for sure.
Why you are PES F matters more than the status itself.

You might be born without a left leg or have to amputate it because of accident. This might very well result in a PES F.

In such a scenario, the fact that you are without a left leg is itself so much more obvious than the status itself.

but that doesn’t mean you aren’t fully competent to do a desk bound job.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.