Poor Fibre Broadband Speed & Seeking Remedy

Cbreeze

Reaction score
Hello gurus,

I was introduced the Speedtest App months back by a fren who warned me abt the internet speed we get from ISP fibre broadband at home. Having tested my own home fibre BB speed, me too was shocked my home is also plagued by very poor internet speed. Let me share my current home fibre BB set up and Speedtest result.

- ISP/plan: Starhub / 1Gbps no contract
- No. of years: 1Gbps customer since maybe 2014 or earlier.
- ONT: Starhub Nucleus Connect

- Wireless Router: Linksys EA8100

- Home Network Speed: 2.4GHz (Tested in front of wireless router)

- Home Network Speed: 5GHz (Tested in front of wireless router)

- Speedtest result: (Tested in front of wireless router)

The Speedtest results were appalling , my 5GHz DL speed barely meet 10% the 1Gbps in most days and could be even worse on any other days while my 2.4GHz DL speed is only 6% of 1Gbps.

Having been paying $39/mth for years getting only 10% the speed of my 1Gbps, I am pissed. What would you advise?
1. Is this ISP fault? Change ISP?
2. If it is not ISP fault, could the ONT provided by ISP be the bottleneck?
3. I was told the bottleneck are likely the cheaper default wireless router provided by ISP upon contracting which is limiting the internet speed. Should I replace my wireless router?
4. I have done quite some research and been a noob in home networking, I am really confused at the number of wireless router choice out there. But I do know that if I were to future proof my router upgrade, I should at least go for WiFi6 model as it is gradually getting more mature and WiFi 6E is already launched.
5. So if WiFi6, there are then the Dual and Tri Band and other than wireless router there are now the AiMesh model like Asus XT8 ZENWIFI AX6000 o_Oo_Oo_O
6. I am not living in a big sprawling mansion hence maybe a new WiFi 6 wireles router wire backhaul to my current EA8100 would suffice?
7. For WiFi 6 wireless router, which Asus model will you recommend? RT-AX86U, RT- AX88U, RT-AX89X or RT-AX92U?
8. Should I switch to M1 1Gbps 3 mths free promo with $13/mth top up for the RT-AX88U however I am aware this model is been around for quite some time?

By the way, I don't game and internet is more for the family internet usage like HBL, WFH, smart home bridge and etc hooking up about 12 devices in total. Look forward to you valuable comment and advices, cheers.

Apex

Reaction score
Anyone here can see the picture? It not loading for me.

Not ISP fault.

Not ONT. Other ppl using the same ONT are getting the speed.

3. I was told the bottleneck are likely the cheaper default wireless router provided by ISP upon contracting which is limiting the internet speed. Should I replace my wireless router?

Wireless don't give you full speed of 1gbps (if you not on WIFI 6). On WIFI 5 Mobile device can get between 200 - 500+mbps. Depend the device if 1T1R or 2T2R.

4. I have done quite some research and been a noob in home networking, I am really confused at the number of wireless router choice out there. But I do know that if I were to future proof my router upgrade, I should at least go for WiFi6 model as it is gradually getting more mature and WiFi 6E is already launched.

If you do not have WIFI 6 or 6E device, upgrading the router that support WIFI 6/6E don't make a lot different in term of speed.

5. So if WiFi6, there are then the Dual and Tri Band and other than wireless router there are now the AiMesh model like Asus XT8 ZENWIFI AX6000 o_Oo_Oo_O
6. I am not living in a big sprawling mansion hence maybe a new WiFi 6 wireles router wire backhaul to my current EA8100 would suffice?

Coverage and speed will depend on your house layout and where u install the router.

7. For WiFi 6 wireless router, which Asus model will you recommend? RT-AX86U, RT- AX88U, RT-AX89X or RT-AX92U?

Each model has different spec and price range. What the price range you looking at?

8. Should I switch to M1 1Gbps 3 mths free promo with $13/mth top up for the RT-AX88U however I am aware this model is been around for quite some time?

if your current device cant get good speed. Switching to M1 unlikely will make a lot different

Cbreeze

Reaction score
Hi Apex,

Thanks for your comments.

Good to know that Starhub and the ONT they provided is not the issue. My WiFi5 devices cannot even get close to 100Mbps and my current internet DL speed is avg about 90Mbps so my decision now is really which router to upgrade to and it would have to be WiFi6 for future proofing.

What is 1T1R and 2T2R?

My current place is quite open, router is centrally positioned and most room/area have only 1 solid wall of obstacle with the furthest point about 17m away from router. I do have a roof terrace which I hope to be able to capture some WiFi signal. I plan to have a good Primary wireless router and wire backhaul to a secondary node to boost signal in the furthest room. The model combination is like AX89X / AX88U (Pri) with AX55 / AX82U (Sec) or AX86U (Pri) with AX82U (Sec). Do you think combination 1 is an overkill?

Budget I plan for about $600 to $700.

Would love to hear your advice on the Asus routre model to recommend. Cheers.

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi can you upload your photos on Imgur or some other image hosting site?

We are not able to view the screenshots that you are referring to.

Anw if you are constantly only getting 90mbps via LAN or wireless, I suggest checking the network cable from your ONT to Linksys router.
Ensure that the cable is at least rated CAT5e. Cat 6 and above would be good as well. You can also try changing the cable as well.

Cbreeze

Reaction score
Hi can you upload your photos on Imgur or some other image hosting site?

We are not able to view the screenshots that you are referring to.

Anw if you are constantly only getting 90mbps via LAN or wireless, I suggest checking the network cable from your ONT to Linksys router.
Ensure that the cable is at least rated CAT5e. Cat 6 and above would be good as well. You can also try changing the cable as well.
Hi Eli, I updated my pic sharing permission can you see the pics now? thanks.

bert64

Reaction score
Having that camera right next to the antenna won't do it any good, especially when the camera is also emitting a wifi signal. You really should use an ethernet cable for it, and move it a bit further away from the antenna.

Have you verified that you're able to achieve higher speeds with wired devices?
Also the results all being in the 90mbps range would suggest that your wired uplink might be running at 100mbps instead of 1gbps, you should be able to check that in the settings page of the router.

alex22

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Test your speed directly wired to your ont with a different patch cord.
Not the ones coming from holes in the wall.
Looks like ur wiring spoil isit.

You plagued with faulty UTP more likely than router wifi faulty.

Ont to laptop via different lan cable alone
Laptop to router via lan cable alone
Then u see different reading anot

Last edited:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most likely faulty wiring, between ont and router, as some have mentioned. Being capped below 100Mbps consistently is a symptom of this.

iduncheckmail

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS your fren is anyhow say . Nothing wrong with ISP. Don’t anyhow blame. Lots of people have no problem getting 800-900 on lan and 600+ wireless (depending on equipment).

Ask you one simple thing. Your router the anthenna is parallel to the ground ? Your aim is to give internet to your upstairs and downstairs neighbour ?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1st thing to check is the EA8100 WiFi router.
If you can, test the speed by wired directly at ONT first then to LAN port of router.

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just a side note, thats wall mounted router right lol, im having a tough time disassociating what im seeing

Cbreeze

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for providing your comments and let me get to them below.

- Network cable from your ONT to Linksys router.
I have done some troubleshooting this morning 9am+ following the suggestions here.

1st test: I connect a Cat 6 LAN cable direct from ONT to my laptop and got close to 400Mbps hence ISP incoming speed should be ok?

2nd test: I connect new Cat 5e LAN cable - Linksys EA8100 router - Cat 6 LAN cable - Laptop. Speedtest indicate 260Mbps, is this normal?

3rd test: Cat 5e LAN cable - Linksys EA8100 router - Wireles 5GHz - Laptop. Speedtest Speedtest indicate 84Mbps, is this normal? (Laptop is inside study room 10m away from wireless router with 1 concrete wall obstacle)

4th test: Cat 5e LAN cable - Linksys EA8100 router - Wireles 2.4GHz - Laptop. Speedtest Speedtest indicate 33Mbps, is this normal? (Laptop is inside study room 10m away from wireless router with 1 concrete wall obstacle)

@bert64 : I have follow your suggestion and now wire my IP cam by a Cat 5e cable to a LAN port behind my Linksys Router (U may be able to see that in my pic below)

@alex22 : What is UTP?

Lots of people have no problem getting 800-900 on lan and 600+ wireless (depending on equipment).
@iduncheckmail : Wow for 1Gbps plan can get 800 on LAN and 600+ on wireless? can you advise what type of router can do that when my ONT speed tested this morning is oni 400Mbps at best?

Your router the anthenna is parallel to the ground ?
@iduncheckmail & @BradenHeat : Please see picture below, my router is ceiling mount. Basically when I did my reno 3 years ago, I already planned to ceiling mount my wireless router so I gotten my contrator to install a LAN port above floor level and connect to a Cat 6 LAN cable to the top of the box up and expose a RJ45 at ceiling level. So I connect the yellow fibre optic cabel from the terminal point to my Nucleus Connect, a short 5e LAN patch cord to the RJ45 port on the wall and then connect the RJ45 exposed at ceiling into my router.

Conclusion
From this morning test, I can deduced that most of you are right, there is something wrong with my original cable my contractor installed for me 3 years ago. But even if I use a working LAN cable from my ONT to my router as tested, I am still suffering from low internet speed for WiFi 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands.

Questions:
1. I doubt the concealed Cat 6 LAN cable is faulty, do you think it could be how the workers connect the RJ45 to the LAN cable that could have resulted in the speed cap issue? (I saw the worker ran open ended Cat 6 LAN cable and then use some equipment to connect one end to the port on the wall and RJ45 on the other end.
2. For 1Gbps plan, what is your average LAN and WiFI speed like coming from your router? (I tested my phone internet speed by standing in front of the router after I connect a working LAN from ONT to my Router and I consistently average 200Mbps on 5GHz band never exceed this speed)
3. If from ONT - LAN - Laptop I am only getting 400Mbps when I am on a 1Gbps plan, should I approach Starhub to seek remedy from their end?
4. I have budgeted to upgrade my Wireless router to the latest Asus models. Any model here you will highly recommend? RT-AX86U, RT- AX88U, RT-AX89X or RT-AX92U?
5. I have ran an extra Cat 6 LAN cable during renovation from router to outside the furthest bedroom in preparation to install a secondary node. So I am thinking of the following:
  • M1 39.90/mth with free Asus RT-AX55 as my secondary node and buy either the AX86U or AX89X and wire backhaul as my primary router
  • M1 3 mth free promo and top up $13/mth for the AX88U as my primary router, monitor internet speed for a month and decide if to purchase a AX82U or AX86U as my secondary node.
6. While I read raved review about the AX88U, I am also aware it has been launched for close to 3 years and is quite an old model. Any comment on this model will be appreciated?

Thank you for your attention and kind assistance, at least now I identify the bottleneck. Have a good evening!.

alex22

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your isp is ok.
Your cabling does not seem to be.
Check your ont's FO patch cord, is it coiled too tight or bent ?

Ont to computer should get at download least 800-900 on speed test to local server.

From the looks of it you are better off rewiring and using xiaomi ax9000 since you are willing to budget 600 700 and already hv wiring in place, then another ax9000 in room.
Signal blast until ur nbor feel sian lol

Wifi speed is relative to your wireless client ability, thats if it is within LOS.

Last edited:

bert64

Reaction score

I have done some troubleshooting this morning 9am+ following the suggestions here.

1st test: I connect a Cat 6 LAN cable direct from ONT to my laptop and got close to 400Mbps hence ISP incoming speed should be ok?

2nd test: I connect new Cat 5e LAN cable - Linksys EA8100 router - Cat 6 LAN cable - Laptop. Speedtest indicate 260Mbps, is this normal?

3rd test: Cat 5e LAN cable - Linksys EA8100 router - Wireles 5GHz - Laptop. Speedtest Speedtest indicate 84Mbps, is this normal? (Laptop is inside study room 10m away from wireless router with 1 concrete wall obstacle)

4th test: Cat 5e LAN cable - Linksys EA8100 router - Wireles 2.4GHz - Laptop. Speedtest Speedtest indicate 33Mbps, is this normal? (Laptop is inside study room 10m away from wireless router with 1 concrete wall obstacle)

@bert64 : I have follow your suggestion and now wire my IP cam by a Cat 5e cable to a LAN port behind my Linksys Router (U may be able to see that in my pic below)

@iduncheckmail : Wow for 1Gbps plan can get 800 on LAN and 600+ on wireless? can you advise what type of router can do that when my ONT speed tested this morning is oni 400Mbps at best?

@iduncheckmail & @BradenHeat : Please see picture below, my router is ceiling mount. Basically when I did my reno 3 years ago, I already planned to ceiling mount my wireless router so I gotten my contrator to install a LAN port above floor level and connect to a Cat 6 LAN cable to the top of the box up and expose a RJ45 at ceiling level. So I connect the yellow fibre optic cabel from the terminal point to my Nucleus Connect, a short 5e LAN patch cord to the RJ45 port on the wall and then connect the RJ45 exposed at ceiling into my router.

Conclusion
From this morning test, I can deduced that most of you are right, there is something wrong with my original cable my contractor installed for me 3 years ago. But even if I use a working LAN cable from my ONT to my router as tested, I am still suffering from low internet speed for WiFi 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands.

Questions:
1. I doubt the concealed Cat 6 LAN cable is faulty, do you think it could be how the workers connect the RJ45 to the LAN cable that could have resulted in the speed cap issue? (I saw the worker ran open ended Cat 6 LAN cable and then use some equipment to connect one end to the port on the wall and RJ45 on the other end.
2. For 1Gbps plan, what is your average LAN and WiFI speed like coming from your router? (I tested my phone internet speed by standing in front of the router after I connect a working LAN from ONT to my Router and I consistently average 200Mbps on 5GHz band never exceed this speed)
3. If from ONT - LAN - Laptop I am only getting 400Mbps when I am on a 1Gbps plan, should I approach Starhub to seek remedy from their end?
4. I have budgeted to upgrade my Wireless router to the latest Asus models. Any model here you will highly recommend? RT-AX86U, RT- AX88U, RT-AX89X or RT-AX92U?
5. I have ran an extra Cat 6 LAN cable during renovation from router to outside the furthest bedroom in preparation to install a secondary node. So I am thinking of the following:
  • M1 39.90/mth with free Asus RT-AX55 as my secondary node and buy either the AX86U or AX89X and wire backhaul as my primary router
  • M1 3 mth free promo and top up $13/mth for the AX88U as my primary router, monitor internet speed for a month and decide if to purchase a AX82U or AX86U as my secondary node.
6. While I read raved review about the AX88U, I am also aware it has been launched for close to 3 years and is quite an old model. Any comment on this model will be appreciated?

Thank you for your attention and kind assistance, at least now I identify the bottleneck. Have a good evening!.

1) thats a little unusual, you'd usually have solid core cabling (which terminates at a socket) or stranded cable (terminates at an rj45 plug), but you'd not normally mix (ie socket on one end and plug on the other), you'd expect to have sockets on both ends. Using the wrong sort of cable with the wrong connector can result in poor performance.

2/3) With a 1gbps plan you should be able to get well over 900mbps with a direct cable from your laptop to the ONT. If you only get ~400 then something is wrong. Is it an old laptop? Or using a USB2 to ethernet adapter etc? You should also get a similar speed with a cable direct to your router, there will be some overhead added by the router but not much. You shouldn't be experiencing a degradation from 400mbps to 260mbps... Have you checked the router settings? Sometimes aggressive QoS settings or large numbers of filtering rules can be too taxing for them.

Wireless does not do well through concrete walls, especially 5ghz... At 10m distance and depending on the thickness of the wall i'm not surprised you might see a pretty significant drop in performance.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually 1gb plan with lan speed only 400mbps is not correct right? Should easily be 800-900mbps.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello gurus,

I was introduced the Speedtest App months back by a fren who warned me abt the internet speed we get from ISP fibre broadband at home. Having tested my own home fibre BB speed, me too was shocked my home is also plagued by very poor internet speed. Let me share my current home fibre BB set up and Speedtest result.

- ISP/plan: Starhub / 1Gbps no contract
- No. of years: 1Gbps customer since maybe 2014 or earlier.
- ONT: Starhub Nucleus Connect

- Wireless Router: Linksys EA8100

- Home Network Speed: 2.4GHz (Tested in front of wireless router)

- Home Network Speed: 5GHz (Tested in front of wireless router)

- Speedtest result: (Tested in front of wireless router)

The Speedtest results were appalling , my 5GHz DL speed barely meet 10% the 1Gbps in most days and could be even worse on any other days while my 2.4GHz DL speed is only 6% of 1Gbps.

Having been paying $39/mth for years getting only 10% the speed of my 1Gbps, I am pissed. What would you advise?

By the way, I don't game and internet is more for the family internet usage like HBL, WFH, smart home bridge and etc hooking up about 12 devices in total. Look forward to you valuable comment and advices, cheers.

Can see that you are very new to such networking thing. For such 1Gbps plan they are referring to Wired connection speed. For speed using Wifi, there is wifi speed limited based on the router and the wifi client.
You only need 25 Mbps internet connection to watch a 4k UHD movies on Netflix and this is mentioned in Netflix website. There is no need to do such speed test as long as you are not facing issue when using the internet. Do not think need to change any thing, just need to restart your ONT and router once a while. If you change to wifi 6 router, then all your devices also must change to support wifi 6. Wifi 6 is still very new and the price is still very expensive. No benefit to change to wifi 6 now. It will be better to wait for another 1 to 2 years.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually 1gb plan with lan speed only 400mbps is not correct right? Should easily be 800-900mbps.
I can easily get 800+ on lan cable. Unless you are using VPN then the speed will be limited by the VPN speed. May be your laptop can not support or old computer.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
11579904599.png

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For wireless, I am able to get 200 to 380 mbps on my mobile phone speed test.

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your isp is ok.
Your cabling does not seem to be.
Check your ont's FO patch cord, is it coiled too tight or bent ?

Ont to computer should get at download least 800-900 on speed test to local server.

From the looks of it you are better off rewiring and using xiaomi ax9000 since you are willing to budget 600 700 and already hv wiring in place, then another ax9000 in room.
Signal blast until ur nbor feel sian lol

Wifi speed is relative to your wireless client ability, thats if it is within LOS.

Conclusion

Questions:

You can try using another laptop/desktop and see if you get the same results. also i think try using the same test server across your different test. Different test servers tested at different times can have different results.
Alternatively you can try using speed test function directly from google search as well as from http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest to verify your results.

For your wifi, you can try scanning the the 2.4/5GHz channels using a mobile app at your router's position to see if your wifi is currently also on crowded channels. if they are you can go into the linksys router to try and change the channels they are at.

just my 2 cents :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.