Possible to get old Singtel ONT to work?

nfshp253

Reaction score
I really need DDNS on an ASUS router for work, but with the ONR issued by Singtel for my new Fibre connection, I am getting a Double NAT issue which can't be solved since I can't change the ONR to bridge mode (I've tried).

I happen to have an old ZTE ONT, and it seems to work with the Fibre connection (PON works), but plugging the ASUS router into the LAN1 port doesn't work. The router just doesn't detect anything. I plugged the router into the LAN4 of the ZTE and the indicator lights up, but the ASUS router says that there is an issue with the DHCP. I've changed the VLAN on the ASUS to 10 but that doesn't seem to work either.

Any ideas on how to get the old ONT working? Would an old Singtel router work?

Thanks!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I really need DDNS on an ASUS router for work, but with the ONR issued by Singtel for my new Fibre connection, I am getting a Double NAT issue which can't be solved since I can't change the ONR to bridge mode (I've tried).
Any ideas on how to get the old ONT working? Would an old Singtel router work?

Unfortunately it is NOT possible to get the old ZTE ONT to work once you moved to Singtel ONR.

Just wondering why you got moved to the ONR? Is it because of shifting place?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have an old ZTE ONT too. Unfortunately, Singtel refuses to use that or allow me to switch to that. Opened it up recently and noted that the components are all very high quality and top notch, so I believe they will last for a very long time yet. The ONR policy is forced onto users clearly not for the user's benefit or convenience.

nfshp253

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is NOT possible to get the old ZTE ONT to work once you moved to Singtel ONR.

Just wondering why you got moved to the ONR? Is it because of shifting place?
Yes, I moved to a new place and signed a new contract with Singtel. This ONR is so locked down and useless. I don't understand why LAN1 wouldn't work at all on the ZTE ONT. Any advice on how to workaround the Double NAT issue? BTW I was stubborn and tried both Aztech 7002 and 7003 routers with the ZTE ONT; nada.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I moved to a new place and signed a new contract with Singtel. This ONR is so locked down and useless. I don't understand why LAN1 wouldn't work at all on the ZTE ONT. Any advice on how to workaround the Double NAT issue? BTW I was stubborn and tried both Aztech 7002 and 7003 routers with the ZTE ONT; nada.

No way to workaround the SingTel ONR and no way to use your old ZTE ONT, unfortunately.

Your best bet was to convince SingTel to bridge the ONR, but it is said that SingTel stopped entertaining such request since March 2022. You may try your luck again.

nfshp253

Reaction score
I've already tried doing that but all they're offering is upgrading to the Gamer plan for $59.90.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need DDNS and can't convince Singtel to set your ONR into bridge mode, then there's nothing you can do other than to switch ISPs once your contract expires right.. Maybe ring the retention department instead and see if they can work some magic. :s22:

There's might also be another way: If you have an always on PC or raspberry pi, you can probably host the DDNS client on those devices and make it work.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've already tried doing that but all they're offering is upgrading to the Gamer plan for $59.90.

As of now, going to the 1+1 Gamer Plan is the only official way to get the ONR bridged (one port bridged, three ports unbridged).

Lesson learned for existing SingTel ONT users: DO NOT recontract with SingTel when shifting place. You will get the SingTel ONR.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
As of now, going to the 1+1 Gamer Plan is the only official way to get the ONR bridged (one port bridged, three ports unbridged).

Lesson learned for existing SingTel ONT users: DO NOT recontract with SingTel when shifting place. You will get the SingTel ONR.
To be fair to the users, some are mid-contract when they move to a new house (because people don't normally bother with timing it with their internet plan). Who in their right mind would really think "I will move house and time it to my Internet plan cessation"? After spending a few hundred thousand and then having to spend to transfer the service to a new house should not entail Singtel changing the configuration and forcing an unsupported one on the users.

I mean, if I move to a home right now, I would set it up to ensure that APs and all (or mesh nodes, for those less savvy) are in place as part of the renovation works, so when I finally transfer the service, it should be plug-and-play. Having the ONR forced onto such users is quite a setback to the new homeowner.

The ONR will be forced on these users even if they do not recontract, but they are unable to terminate the existing contract without penalties.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The ONR will be forced on these users even if they do not recontract, but they are unable to terminate the existing contract without penalties.

Probably the user can try to contact IMDA and to see if possible to void the contract in this case.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In any case, just to avoid Singtel as an ISP due to this ONR thingy....

nfshp253

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't really switch to another ISP because Singtel has the best connections to Frankfurt and I need this for my remote work, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for the 1+1 plan. I never knew about the ONR issue (I've only seen multiple ONTs in the past) so I couldn't really avoid it. I still don't really understand why the LAN1 port of the ZTE doesn't work, but it seems to accept (or so it seems) the fibre signal ok.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't really switch to another ISP because Singtel has the best connections to Frankfurt and I need this for my remote work, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and pay for the 1+1 plan. I never knew about the ONR issue (I've only seen multiple ONTs in the past) so I couldn't really avoid it. I still don't really understand why the LAN1 port of the ZTE doesn't work, but it seems to accept (or so it seems) the fibre signal ok.

No need to mess with the old ZTE ONT. It is controlled by the backend Singtel side. You can not do anything to get it work from your side.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Backend OLT is not authenticating the ONT, that's why PON is green but you get no connection.

jess_sy

Reaction score
It is really bad for Singtel for not giving the flexibility and options to their customers...

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but does other isp do allow that? i mean currently can have either a ont or onr?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
but does other isp do allow that? i mean currently can have either a ont or onr?
Other ISPs (other than Whizzcomms which is a Tier 3 behind Singtel) give you the ONT. So no issues. Even if they might give you a device printed "ONR", it's configured as an ONT, so you are free to connect your own router.

Singtel insists on having the router and Optical Network device integrated into one, but do not allow users to change many routing settings that they need as it's locked down. Also, from a user privacy perspective, I'm not sure anyone wants to let their ISPs have that kind of access to their home networks. From a company convenience perspective, Singtel allegedly saves more since they don't have to handle any 3rd party requests - your own equipment is your problem, not theirs.

From a company convenience standpoint, Singtel wants to put the ONR in the DB box and then provide wireless coverage by using wireless Access Points (eg the Singtel Mesh Router). It's a pretty standard networking design, and conceptually sound.

The main issue is a low performing router and locking it down so users cannot even change DNS settings or manage it.

nfshp253

Reaction score
I'm so pissed off. Since I was told by Singtel's technical team that I need to upgrade to the gamer plan to get bridge mode on LAN1, I found that I had no choice but to upgrade to that. Then, talking to the contract team they found that they couldn't recontract me until my contract hits 21 months. So now I'm stuck with this garbage ONR and no way around it. The DMZ function doesn't even seem to work properly.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I'm so pissed off. Since I was told by Singtel's technical team that I need to upgrade to the gamer plan to get bridge mode on LAN1, I found that I had no choice but to upgrade to that. Then, talking to the contract team they found that they couldn't recontract me until my contract hits 21 months. So now I'm stuck with this garbage ONR and no way around it. The DMZ function doesn't even seem to work properly.
The other issue with the ONR is that we cannot reasonably expect any settings to stay.

Using TR-069, they only need to push out settings from the back end and it will overwrite anything you have set. I found this out literally the day they installed my equipment. They reluctantly bridged it after I pointed out it was agreed on the sign up contract terms, only to have the ONR settings completely reset when I powered it down to reorganise the wiring (cos the installer just left a huge mess of cables). Took days to re-bridge the network, and even so it was not without problems.

With this latest round of ONR related issues, and because the Internet was a little unstable about a month ago while my folks were all doing fairly critical things (my sis was on a zoom interview that kept dropping out even via wired cable), my folks have agreed that my sis' signing with Singtel 2y ago was a huge mistake on her part.

There's a new Singapore-Europe cable being laid, but unfortunately for the other telcos it's Singtel that's funding it from the Singapore front, so we can expect priority traffic for Singtel IX and by extension Singtel Broadband customers. We'll have to see how IMDA regulates this.
https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/21/singtel_cable/

If I may suggest, you should write in to IMDA and CASE and lodge a formal complaint. It is affecting your work and it's not your choice to change to the ONR as it was forced on you. You might also want to include that Singtel's anti-competitive behaviour in pricing the other telcos out of optimal routes to Europe really means you are forced to pay $20 more per month, which in any other country would have been sanctioned by their anti-competition watchdogs. It wasn't your choice, but it is now your problem.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The other issue with the ONR is that we cannot reasonably expect any settings to stay.

Using TR-069, they only need to push out settings from the back end and it will overwrite anything you have set. I found this out literally the day they installed my equipment. They reluctantly bridged it after I pointed out it was agreed on the sign up contract terms, only to have the ONR settings completely reset when I powered it down to reorganise the wiring (cos the installer just left a huge mess of cables). Took days to re-bridge the network, and even so it was not without problems.

With this latest round of ONR related issues, and because the Internet was a little unstable about a month ago while my folks were all doing fairly critical things (my sis was on a zoom interview that kept dropping out even via wired cable), my folks have agreed that my sis' signing with Singtel 2y ago was a huge mistake on her part.

There's a new Singapore-Europe cable being laid, but unfortunately for the other telcos it's Singtel that's funding it from the Singapore front, so we can expect priority traffic for Singtel IX and by extension Singtel Broadband customers. We'll have to see how IMDA regulates this.
https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/21/singtel_cable/

If I may suggest, you should write in to IMDA and CASE and lodge a formal complaint. It is affecting your work and it's not your choice to change to the ONR as it was forced on you. You might also want to include that Singtel's anti-competitive behaviour in pricing the other telcos out of optimal routes to Europe really means you are forced to pay $20 more per month, which in any other country would have been sanctioned by their anti-competition watchdogs. It wasn't your choice, but it is now your problem.
Write to IMDA and CASE may not help.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.