Prepaid Data Plan for Australia

newgamer168

Reaction score
For Perth, Telstra is good too including Margaret River.. The signal is there while the other two also cannot be found in those sub urban area..

Thanks, I will get the Telstra as advised....from Data Packs - Telstra

will get the Browse Plus Pack

$49
3GB / 30 days

another few things,, son always used Ipad to watch youtube video= much data streaming..- 3gb can tahan 10 days?

Telstra also never state the download and upload speed in their web,,, u can help?

I intend to buy a huawei e585 mifi, and connect at night so everyone at night can access net, but will the speed be very laggy for 4 users at the same time?

Thanks

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi TS,

Me and my friend will be doing a self drive tour in Melbourne next month for 9 days... can you recommend us a reliable prepaid data plan (if possible unlimited data usage) for us? We will be traveling around the outskirts of Melbourne (Great Ocean Road, Morning Peninsular etc)

I would recommend using Optus for not bad coverage and good price. The package will the $2 per day package as the speed is like avg of 3-6mbps in HSPA/3G signal while on EDGE or GPRS signal is still not bad and can surf between stable. The speed is good even for Viber back to Singapore and is much much faster then any three telco in SIngapore. This plan is unlimited and if you are using a microsim, please visit the optus store and let the sales personel know about it. Have fun and enjoy

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/2dollardays

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will get the Telstra as advised....from Data Packs - Telstra

will get the Browse Plus Pack

$49
3GB / 30 days

another few things,, son always used Ipad to watch youtube video= much data streaming..- 3gb can tahan 10 days?

Telstra also never state the download and upload speed in their web,,, u can help?

I intend to buy a huawei e585 mifi, and connect at night so everyone at night can access net, but will the speed be very laggy for 4 users at the same time?

Thanks

I personally feel that the 3GB is quite sufficient for avg youtube streaming but still you could opt for the 4GB option to be on the safe side as topping up after the 3GB is used up can be quite not worth the money. For the speed wise, is about up 3-6mbps speed with HSPA/3G signal.. Speed wise is not bad and relatively faster then any telco in Singapore.

For the mifi, it depends on the area and the applications that the users will be using. For usage on whatsapp, twitter, facebook or email, the speed is still relatively not bad and stable. Cheers and have a great time.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 more q, perth airport got sell telstra card?

Thanks

Perth airport only have Vodafone store and I don remember having a Telstra Store too..

Services & Essentials

You can use this link to help you locate a telstra store.

Store Locator - Telstra

I would recommend you to visit a telstra store as they can activate the data bundle and sell you the correct SIM card as compared to the convenience store assistant may not be able to help you on your sim card..

Webbyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would recommend using Optus for not bad coverage and good price. The package will the $2 per day package as the speed is like avg of 3-6mbps in HSPA/3G signal while on EDGE or GPRS signal is still not bad and can surf between stable. The speed is good even for Viber back to Singapore and is much much faster then any three telco in SIngapore. This plan is unlimited and if you are using a microsim, please visit the optus store and let the sales personel know about it. Have fun and enjoy

Hi FireHobbit, Can i just go to the optus counter at kingsford smith airport and get a $2 sim card and i can get it recharge at the counter or online right?

poiiop

Reaction score
First time going Australia, Gold Coast in Sept. Wanna check which telco is best suited for Gold Coast?

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi FireHobbit, Can i just go to the optus counter at kingsford smith airport and get a $2 sim card and i can get it recharge at the counter or online right?

Hey Webbyboy, great to see you are going to Sydney. Once you reach the Optus counter at the Arrival Hall in Kingsford Smith Airport, the counter will asked you on which package you are interested in and you could let them know you are interested in the $2 per day unlimited data, local sms, local call package. They will asked you for how many days you need the card active for and from the days of active usage., the staff will advice on the recharge amount to be taken up. I would recommend buying the voucher to recharge as credit card have currency exchange charges. The method to recharge online are Credit Card, PayPal, payclick and voucher. The recharge amount can be found at https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/2dollardays
Cheers and have fun:s12::s12:

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First time going Australia, Gold Coast in Sept. Wanna check which telco is best suited for Gold Coast?

For gold coast, how many days are you going for and will your usage be primarily data or data plus some IDD calls to Singapore? :s12::s12:

poiiop

Reaction score
For gold coast, how many days are you going for and will your usage be primarily data or data plus some IDD calls to Singapore? :s12::s12:

I will be in Aust for effectively 8 days. I plan to stay in Gold Coast for 3~4 days then drive to Brisbane. Not too sure how to travel yet.

I wish to get a card primarily for data to use google maps, and also make some calls back to Singapore to my parents.

What would be your recommendations? Thanks.

newgamer168

Reaction score
Will be getting Telstra mobile broadband plan and be back in Singapore on 13 April 2012. Will pass you the SIM card on 13 April at Boon Keng MRT.

The plan will be valid till end of April.

Anyone interested to share the plan , pls sms me at 96868336.

Thanks

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be in Aust for effectively 8 days. I plan to stay in Gold Coast for 3~4 days then drive to Brisbane. Not too sure how to travel yet.

I wish to get a card primarily for data to use google maps, and also make some calls back to Singapore to my parents.

What would be your recommendations? Thanks.

Yours can be quite low usage and no need so much data.. I would recommend save up and can consider this 10 Reasons to Switch - amaysim SIM card

The network is the using Optus Network. The data have various package amaysim Mobile Broadband - amaysim SIM card

1GB for google map and a little facebook plus whatsapp is sufficient

The IDD call back to singapore is not too expensive International call costs - amaysim SIM card or you can consider using Viber, Skype or Pfingo to call back with your data plan.:s12::s12:

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thanks bro!

poiiop

Reaction score
Yours can be quite low usage and no need so much data.. I would recommend save up and can consider this 10 Reasons to Switch - amaysim SIM card

The network is the using Optus Network. The data have various package amaysim Mobile Broadband - amaysim SIM card

1GB for google map and a little facebook plus whatsapp is sufficient

The IDD call back to singapore is not too expensive International call costs - amaysim SIM card or you can consider using Viber, Skype or Pfingo to call back with your data plan.:s12::s12:

Thanks! I really need the data as I intend to drive, so the google map must work or else..

Is the reception good? Is it available at the GC Airport??

pipika

Reaction score
Just pay a bit more for the $2 a day sim card if you are driving.
I am using it right now. Using my hp as a hotspot as I am typing this.
Speedwise, most of the time ok, last night was not that fantastic but reasonable.

I paid $17 for the package. $2 for sim, $15 for 7.5days unlimited data. If you take $10, your phone only works for 5 days. They consider by calendar day at 12 midnight. So if you need extra, you have to top up. Minimum top up is $10.

oho

Reaction score
'Yes optus' has a 30 day plan for A$30:

1) 500Mb data
2) $300 credit for phone calls locally n internationally. (A 3 minute call costs about $3 internationally or locally, so you have about 300 minutes of phone call time).
3) Free unlimited sms in australia. Sms overseas about 26 cts each. (Better to use whatsapp).

Using it now, no problems.

k.a.e.e.l

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to Adelaide for a period of 2 years. Can you suggest me a good data+call plan for my mobile phone? I prefer prepaid only.
Usage: Data (40%) Calling(60%)

Thank you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.