Prepaid Data Plan for Australia

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Take Note for those using Data Roaming on Optus and Telstra network. The grade of network have restriction for data roaming Sim. Those visiting Urual areas are suggested to get their prepaid SIM card at Australia directly to have access to their TOP tier network.

Just want to be absolutely clear, it's not just the roaming sims/devices which have "restricted" access. If you get a sim from other companies that run off Telstra/Optus networks, they you would also be affected by the same restrictions.

Having said that, 99.9% of the tourists won't notice any difference even if you head to rural areas, so I rarely mention such details - it probably confuses people and scares them off from good deals that are more than adequate for their needs. Although if you're heading off on an exercise or going to some seriously remote places, definitely get a Telstra-branded local sim (and not anything else that runs off Telstra, such as Boost, Aldi, etc).

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree that you might not notice the diff but heading to places like GOR or Philip Island or even Margaret River are need to be on the 4GX network to get coverage and data access. Thank you for sharing on your experiences with the community

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
Telstra the coverage is still better even for those NSMen and NSF that is going to Exercise Wallaby or other NS Australia Exercise..

Those area hardly can even receive any optus or Vodafone signal.

Telstra wise will usually be more expensive. If you don need a card straight away from disembark from the airport. I would suggest heading to the supermarket like Coles and Woolworth to buy the card. The only diff is that you need to find a wifi spot to register after u purchase the card or u can walk into any Telstra or Optus official store to seek their help to help you activate the SIM Card.

A lot of saving can be got from the SIM Cards that is purchase through the Supermarket. Check out those bigger branch. The SIM card are usually located near the aisle of the cashier or near the part where the cigarette is purchased.

Those getting it or not sure of anything regarding coverage or SIM card stuff can post your enquiry and I will get back to share with you :s12::s12:
I'm touching down Perth at about 8.30pm. Can I get a Telstra Sims card at the airport cos I need it for GPS to my lodging. Understand there is only Optus shop.

Sent from HUAWEI LYA-L29 using GAGT

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm touching down Perth at about 8.30pm. Can I get a Telstra Sims card at the airport cos I need it for GPS to my lodging. Understand there is only Optus shop.

Alternatively you could download google offline map in case you can't get a SIM. Or if you're with Starhub, just activate roaming for $15

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
Alternatively you could download google offline map in case you can't get a SIM. Or if you're with Starhub, just activate roaming for $15
Actually i had already download google offline map but just in case it don't work. So i just need to on the location w/o the mobile data? Cos i didn't try offline mode before. Was thinking to get the sim card from Lazada.

Last edited:

kevin301

Reaction score
Actually i had already download google offline map but just in case it don't work. So i just need to on the location w/o the mobile data? Cos i didn't try offline mode before. Was thinking to get the sim card from Lazada.

Well if you don't have the local SIM card, then you won't have mobile data unless you activate roaming data on your Singapore SIM card.

If you want to test offline mode in Singapore, you can do as you stated: turn off mobile data and see if it can navigate you to your destination.
I have personally tried it and it works.

If the SIM card from Lazada is cheap, then by all means get it.

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
Well if you don't have the local SIM card, then you won't have mobile data unless you activate roaming data on your Singapore SIM card.

If you want to test offline mode in Singapore, you can do as you stated: turn off mobile data and see if it can navigate you to your destination.
I have personally tried it and it works.

If the SIM card from Lazada is cheap, then by all means get it.
Had tried offline map in Singapore n it's work but don't know about Australia. Anyway had bought Telstar prepaid card for Lazada.
lTlZHyEl.jpg

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting changi recommend Aust S$26 for 12GB sim card for my upcoming Tas/melb trip. This sim card is ok one right in these 2 places?

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
I'm getting changi recommend Aust S$26 for 12GB sim card for my upcoming Tas/melb trip. This sim card is ok one right in these 2 places?
Not sure about changi recommend, it's better to get Telstra for better coverage. I get mine from lazada for $28+.

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT

SDM1974

Reaction score
I am returning back to Singapore from Melbourne today. I have a 35gb prepaid sim card with 20 more days expiry date. Lots of data left. Those interested can get it from me for free. Self collect at my convenience. Pm me

athletic91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m got a Vodafone Sim expires 28 days from 22 oct 2019. Still got 20gb inside. Collect Novena or Bukit Panjang

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am right now back in Melbourne. alot of discount for local sim cards like Telstra and Optus and even MVNO like Boost or Kogan Mobile or Belong.

for me i would say some time is good u can check on your first day the accommodation can help to collect the sim card when using their mailing address.

Personally I did that and save a lot on a good deal like sim card that can buy online and send to any Aussie address.

I will share some current good deals that you can buy and send back to your first-day accommodation address.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
50% Off - Online Special $40 SIM for $20 Free Delivery
Limited to 1 per customer. Activate on chosen plan within 30 days of purchase. Offer ends 31/10/2019

https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid/sim-card/40-sim?SID=con:prep:plans:tact:jun18:prep:$40for20:SimSale&_ga=2.40072618.921739463.1572003269-1953828048.1572003269&_gac=1.241954486.1572079364.EAIaIQobChMI14GB-cO55QIVRx0rCh0AlgkIEAAYASAAEgKhpfD_BwE

For forty value there are quite a few plans u can choose from.. those need help can post questions here and i will help out

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Telstra

Pre-Paid SIM Starter Kit
Get 35GB for $25

forty dollar vaue get you 35gb of data

Unlimited calls and texts to standard Australian numbers.

Unlimited standard international calls to 20 destinations.

$10 Extra Credit for international calls and texts, roaming and premium SMS.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am heading back this weekend from Australia.

Now at Coles having a sale for $30 Value card for $15 dollars.

Those need my help to buy and pass it over to you in Singapore can let me know via pm to coordinate. I am just helping brudders and sistas here to get this deal.

Thank you

Acemandoo

Reaction score
How many GB?

I am heading back this weekend from Australia.

Now at Coles having a sale for $30 Value card for $15 dollars.

Those need my help to buy and pass it over to you in Singapore can let me know via pm to coordinate. I am just helping brudders and sistas here to get this deal.

Thank you

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am heading back to SG. I have my current prepaid card using Telstra 4GX network that is left with 48GB + Unlimited call and text locally in Aussie and back to Singapore and 21 other idd countries including SMS and calls.

The sim will expires on 19 Nov. total have 19 days more. those keen to get the sim from me, please pm me directly. :s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.