Prepaid Data Plan for Australia

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am heading back to SG. I have my current prepaid card using Telstra 4GX network that is left with 48GB + Unlimited call and text locally in Aussie and back to Singapore and 21 other idd countries including SMS and calls.

The sim will expires on 19 Nov. total have 19 days more. those keen to get the sim from me, please pm me directly. :s12:

The card is register under your passport number right?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
anyone recently got telstra card at Perth Airport?

There are no Telstra shops in the airport, however, some of the newsagent/convenience stores may stock some sim cards. They usually won't go on sale, however. Any reason why you must have Telstra?

luv_boa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are no Telstra shops in the airport, however, some of the newsagent/convenience stores may stock some sim cards. They usually won't go on sale, however. Any reason why you must have Telstra?

On the safer side for better network

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do we need prepaid data cards in oz considering we have m1 data passport or Starhub datatravel?

Posted from PCWX using VOG-L29

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
On the safer side for better network

It will help if you're going to rural places, but the differences are minor if you're not venturing off the beaten track. You can also consider other companies that resell the Telstra network - e.g. Aldi, Woolworths, Belong which uses the Telstra wholesale network (almost as good as the retail one which Telstra mostly keeps for themselves).

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
It will help if you're going to rural places, but the differences are minor if you're not venturing off the beaten track. You can also consider other companies that resell the Telstra network - e.g. Aldi, Woolworths, Belong which uses the Telstra wholesale network (almost as good as the retail one which Telstra mostly keeps for themselves).

do we need prepaid data cards in oz considering we have m1 data passport or Starhub datatravel?

Data roaming will work fine, and they both connect to Telstra. Only reason you might want a sim is you want/need to have a local phone number.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.changirecommends.com/de...GzKK911bExMioDhu5b7Qs_WtrEQkDDL7jdQZ-2SeWmZ6U

20190903143602WT8I8K3S5SY3G_hero.jpg

I bought this SIM card by Telstra from Changi Recommends.
Will be using it soon.
Should be good since it is Telstra.

Previously I used Starhub prepaid SIM card.
However it auto log onto Vodafone which has quite bad signals at some area eg in basement and I had to manually switch to Telstra, which is a hassle.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
However it auto log onto Vodafone which has quite bad signals at some area eg in basement and I had to manually switch to Telstra, which is a hassle.

I would just force it onto Telstra and leave it there (Android has that option, at least). There's nothing to gain by using Vodafone at all when you have access to Telstra. From my office in the CBD, Vodafone 4G is slower than 3G for most of the day.

luv_boa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If not I will go for optus? That is ok also right actually

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
If not I will go for optus? That is ok also right actually

Optus is the next best after Telstra. They are also building their network in rural areas, and is much better value for money. Other companies that resell the Optus network gets full access as well, unlike Telstra where some parts of the network is locked out and kept to themselves (except 1 other reseller).

correct

Reaction score

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I bought this at qoo10 and after using qpoints, I paid $5.90 with 500mb a day for 10 days.

This one connect to vodafone, some areas like underground metro 4G reception not very good.

enough for me to use heavily on google map for location and public transport routes & time of arrival, some email, facebook and IG uploading of my photos daily.

UvrMcHG.jpg

Traver

Reaction score
Can try Google for esimdb if your phone support eSIM Like iPhone. There are options for other countries as well

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Latest news is the AU international borders will remain closed until at least well into 2021. Travel "bubbles" are possible but we'll see if/when they occur. Apparently, SG now allows most Aussies to travel inbound but the AU government isn't letting its citizens or PR leave their own country.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for short trip (7-days min) prepaid data plans?
Or just stick with M1 data passport at $30 (+$5 activation) for peace of mind...?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.