Prism PC monitors W270 and W270 Pro

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Objectively, I feel even the likes of BOE and Innolux can produce good display panels, at least from experience. For example, the BOE display on laptops can be pretty good if you don’t scrimp on the cost. I’ve used laptop running Innolux display with high colour gamut before, and it looks great and lasted for at least 2+years before I sold the laptop off. The problem is when manufacturers choose to cut cost, it will surely eat into the quality of the product.

there will always be outliers

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it is still purchased from OEM. I believe this is the same with Aftershock where they buy from OEMs, but the assemble everything locally.

Aftershock laptops are all shipped in already assembled, they only need to install ram, SSD, and OS. I know people working inside these companies :s13:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there will always be outliers
I won’t say outliers in this case. I may be wrong, but I strongly believe the quality of the panel is very correlated to the price. For example, BOE displays are widely used and those higher end panels used generally get good review ratings as well. But when you go for the cheaper panels, you still get an IPS, but its dim, colour reproduction is bad, poor response time, etc, and for all you know, it may also affect longevity of the screen.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aftershock laptops are all shipped in already assembled, they only need to install ram, SSD, and OS. I know people working inside these companies :s13:
I don’t know about now since I‘ve not used any Aftershock product or visited their service center. May be that’s changed over the years. But I recalled going to their first office in Farrer Park, and I can see the motherboard, display, and various parts on the shelves. Thus, I am quite sure them assemble the parts together locally back then. As far as I am aware, Prism+ is also sourcing their monitors from OEM. I don’t work there, so I may be wrong. I suspect this is the case, and someone that I know that works in a monitor manufacturing company confirmed the same.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about now since I‘ve not used any Aftershock product or visited their service center. May be that’s changed over the years. But I recalled going to their first office in Farrer Park, and I can see the motherboard, display, and various parts on the shelves. Thus, I am quite sure them assemble the parts together locally back then. As far as I am aware, Prism+ is also sourcing their monitors from OEM.

For desktops, they assemble it in-house. Laptops are pre-assembled and shipped by Clevo, Tong Fang, Intel, etc.

Parts in the service center are for replacement.

This family brand never made any products. So yeah, all are OEM.

Most of their laptops also use BOE screens and have **** tons of problems, especially the high-end ones. The low-end ones like 60Hz and lousy color are generally easier to manufacture and don't have as many problems.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I won’t say outliers in this case. I may be wrong, but I strongly believe the quality of the panel is very correlated to the price....

Agreed. Top monitors use Grade A panels while budget ones use Grade B panels. The difference is in the number of defects deemed acceptable.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Objectively, I feel even the likes of BOE and Innolux can produce good display panels, at least from experience. For example, the BOE display on laptops can be pretty good if you don’t scrimp on the cost. I’ve used laptop running Innolux display with high colour gamut before, and it looks great and lasted for at least 2+years before I sold the laptop off. The problem is when manufacturers choose to cut cost, it will surely eat into the quality of the product.
Think each display manufacturers produce low to high grade panel. So it depend on say laptop or TV company budget on each model they sell and pick one to match.

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Top monitors use Grade A panels while budget ones use Grade B panels. The difference is in the number of defects deemed acceptable.

A higher spec-ed 'top monitor' doesn't necessarily mean that the quality of the panel will have good durability or be free of issues.

In fact, when a company produces a monitor that uses a panel with specs that exceeds everything else in the market, they are taking a big risk because they are unaware of the pitfalls ahead of them. In the case of companies like prism and aftershock, they do not produce the panels and have zero control. They are also not an international brand, so they won't give a fug either.

For 'top monitors', very seldom will there be interchangeable panels, so when they replace it with the same panel, the same issue will recur. This is already happening and will continue to happen. Also, BOE panels of the same spec are much cheaper than other brands such as LG. Even if there are alternatives, they would not consider them because they will be making a loss by doing so.

https://www.panelook.com/
Anyway, it's my personal industry experience. YMMV.

UptheToon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good reviews is because it's Cheap.

Quality wise don't expect much.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Buy Prism System 3 aircon got free Prism TV / Monitor?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.