Prospects for graphic artists in SG? Seeking advice

Yambacoona

Reaction score
can define ur "graphic artist"?
Mmm.. Produce works that are mainly for:

1 Self-expression
2 Entertainment or appreciation for audience

Pretty much just an artist. But I feel that graphic artists are often invalidated as an artist and is instead categorised together with graphic designers. I mean, you can be both but I'd like to mainly do graphic art for clients that appreciates or relate to what I express through my works and do graphic design on the side for corporate clients. I understand that it'll be more realistic to do it the other way around to sustain myself in SG. I guess my question is more on how to reach an audience(other than social media), what I should or should NOT do(due to censorship and etc.), pricing for works(digital, print, etc.), will my graphic design dip help? Should I get a degree? and etc etc etc etc.

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
Mmm.. Produce works that are mainly for:

1 Self-expression
2 Entertainment or appreciation for audience

Pretty much just an artist. But I feel that graphic artists are often invalidated as an artist and is instead categorised together with graphic designers. I mean, you can be both but I'd like to mainly do graphic art for clients that appreciates or relate to what I express through my works and do graphic design on the side for corporate clients. I understand that it'll be more realistic to do it the other way around to sustain myself in SG. I guess my question is more on how to reach an audience(other than social media), what I should or should NOT do(due to censorship and etc.), pricing for works(digital, print, etc.), will my graphic design dip help? Should I get a degree? and etc etc etc etc.

I think you are confused yourself.

What is a graphic artist? An artist who does graphic works? What kind of graphic work are you referring to?

You are just using the phrase/term 'graphic artist' to your own definition and you don't even define it well for anyone (except yourself) to understand.

Graphic covers a broad range.

Yambacoona

Reaction score
I think you are confused yourself.

What is a graphic artist? An artist who does graphic works? What kind of graphic work are you referring to?

You are just using the phrase/term 'graphic artist' to your own definition and you don't even define it well for anyone (except yourself) to understand.

Graphic covers a broad range.
Oh? I'm sorry. Cause I am mainly reaching out to those that already knows what a graphic artist is and I wouldn't have to specify. Since y'know, art comes in all forms and though graphic is a general term, the skills graphic artists/designers possess can all be used to create art. It's pretty straightforward. I think the difference is only between people's perception of what an artist is compared to a designer. Well anyways, for me? Mainly motion graphic and experimental digital collages(I incorporate typography in these some times). I actually think I made my query quite clear bout what I am asking though. Especially the part about reaching an audience and about censorship.. So am I really confused? Hmm..

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
Oh? I'm sorry. Cause I am mainly reaching out to those that already knows what a graphic artist is and I wouldn't have to specify. Since y'know, art comes in all forms and though graphic is a general term, the skills graphic artists/designers possess can all be used to create art. It's pretty straightforward. I think the difference is only between people's perception of what an artist is compared to a designer. Well anyways, for me? Mainly motion graphic and experimental digital collages(I incorporate typography in these some times). I actually think I made my query quite clear bout what I am asking though. Especially the part about reaching an audience and about censorship.. So am I really confused? Hmm..

So you want to create art? The insights you are looking for are? Looking to be famous or to be earning good money?

By motion graphics, do you mean 2D and 3D animation? Or special effects? Motion graphics is not = to art. Motion graphics are mainly informative.

What about reaching audience and censorship are you trying to get info on? Are you talking about commercial or?

If you want to be an artist and create art for self-expression, why bother about the audience? You care about audience and reaction (from the audience), then how is it self-expression then?

Last edited:

Yambacoona

Reaction score
So you want to create art? The insights you are looking for are? Looking to be famous or to be earning good money?

By motion graphics, do you mean 2D and 3D animation? Or special effects? Motion graphics is not = to art. Motion graphics are mainly informative.

What about reaching audience and censorship are you trying to get info on? Are you talking about commercial or?

If you want to be an artist and create art for self-expression, why bother about the audience? You care about audience and reaction (from the audience), then how is it self-expression then?
Motion graphics are mainly.. informative?

Yambacoona

Reaction score

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you said that motion graphics are.. mainly informative?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.