PSP Leong Mun Wai vs MOF minister Lawrence Wong in Parliament on 14 September 2021 at 1400-0030 hrs

theMKR

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LMW's hear tis in the right place. He is not eloquent and not very good at speeches. He is fighting beyond his weight class to say the least!

No, I do not expect a person whether he is a citizen or not to have special treatment and be "looked after" for life by the gov to ensure he continues to earn his last drawn 15k or 35k sgd per month!

As a older citizen, I strongly believe in the quality of the singapore citizen workforce core in the work place. Our citizens are highly qualified, smart and will be able to take the fight and compete with any foreigners or PR! We will triumph if the the competition is fair! Level the playing field is what the gov needs to do! Do away with age discrimination if it exists. Do away with salary arbitrages that employers can do etc etc

Point I am making is that, for the displaced age group of 40-60 experienced highly qualified/highly educated citizens, surely there will be value add to companies! Even if there are no direct skills (which can be trained and learned where both parties agree), there will definitely be Transferable life experiences and skillset that will be an asset for propective employers!

It will most likely to be a paycut proposition to get a job, BUT seriously should an ex Managing Director of a bank moonlight (not by choice) as a grab driver or SDA ?
fight with new citizens which doesnt have NS, ICT, IPPT??? sounds super fair....

zphoe222

Reaction score
experience actually becomes a hinderance to find new ways to do things.

Remember, there are no wrong ways to do it. Dun let experience tell you otherwise.

For a tech company, experience is not an asset.

Well,

I will agree that while fresh minds are good to find innovative and better ways of doing things, it works perfectly well when there is time and room for errors and mistakes as you can remedy unworkable solutions

During a crisis do or die situation where millions of dollars or lives are stake, an experienced hand will be much appreciated to lead one out of danger to safety!

Look at Manpower Tan, he is citing that there is International standard to measure underemployment, he has ALL the room to be creative and find solutions! Listening to the speech, you may infer as I did that MOM is still trying to find the proper international standard to measure and then come with solution which is bad and by then will defintely be too late for our citizen chort in their 50-60 year old no?

kyo_465

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well,

I will agree that while fresh minds are good to find innovative and better ways of doing things, it works perfectly well when there is time and room for errors and mistakes as you can remedy unworkable solutions

During a crisis do or die situation where millions of dollars or lives are stake, an experienced hand will be much appreciated to lead one out of danger to safety!

Look at Manpower Tan, he is citing that there is International standard to measure underemployment, he has ALL the room to be creative and find solutions! Listening to the speech, you may infer as I did that MOM is still trying to find the proper international standard to measure and then come with solution which is bad and by then will defintely be too late for our citizen chort in their 50-60 year old no?
having international standards and past know methodology for KPI measurement is not the same as new innovation and products to bring in new sources of revenue.

Its not apple to apple comparison.

A company who does not have new innovation will go into crisis mode. No experience will save you.

If you cannot afford mistakes and errors, your company has no room for growth. Then you stagnate and close.

Ec7171

Reaction score
LMW's hear tis in the right place. He is not eloquent and not very good at speeches. He is fighting beyond his weight class to say the least!

No, I do not expect a person whether he is a citizen or not to have special treatment and be "looked after" for life by the gov to ensure he continues to earn his last drawn 15k or 35k sgd per month!

As a older citizen, I strongly believe in the quality of the singapore citizen workforce core in the work place. Our citizens are highly qualified, smart and will be able to take the fight and compete with any foreigners or PR! We will triumph if the the competition is fair! Level the playing field is what the gov needs to do! Do away with age discrimination if it exists. Do away with salary arbitrages that employers can do etc etc

Point I am making is that, for the displaced age group of 40-60 experienced highly qualified/highly educated citizens, surely there will be value add to companies! Even if there are no direct skills (which can be trained and learned where both parties agree), there will definitely be Transferable life experiences and skillset that will be an asset for propective employers!

It will most likely to be a paycut proposition to get a job, BUT seriously should an ex Managing Director of a bank moonlight (not by choice) as a grab driver or SDA ?

Firstly, we dont worship weak people . As you have claim he is not so strong in speeches.
I guess i dont go against his speeches but how to explain to the points raise by Shanmugam. It is a very straight forward reply but he go around and around without logical sense.

Of course his speech focus on too many things. As an opposition , your idea is not to win overall but to win on 1 single point(i.e. co-driver by LTK). That is enough. Focus on 1 point to attack. Unfortunately , his team does not think so and hit on so many points. This is just my view on the opposition.

Despite with anti-discrimination laws , i am afraid age discriminations is more to do with the employer than the government. The employer must trust the senior and pay them accordingly. I never believe the world is fair. The problem is how to convince the employers to take in senior instead of fresh grad.

If you tell me a former MD of a bank cannot get any other job at the industry , this is not what normal people face. How many people can be a MD of a bank? under 100? You are fighting for how many people? 10?100?1000? or 1000000?

noobkia

Master Member
Reaction score
Firstly, we dont worship weak people . As you have claim he is not so strong in speeches.
I guess i dont go against his speeches but how to explain to the points raise by Shanmugam. It is a very straight forward reply but he go around and around without logical sense.

Of course his speech focus on too many things. As an opposition , your idea is not to win overall but to win on 1 single point(i.e. co-driver by LTK). That is enough. Focus on 1 point to attack. Unfortunately , his team does not think so and hit on so many points. This is just my view on the opposition.

Despite with anti-discrimination laws , i am afraid age discriminations is more to do with the employer than the government. The employer must trust the senior and pay them accordingly. I never believe the world is fair. The problem is how to convince the employers to take in senior instead of fresh grad.

If you tell me a former MD of a bank cannot get any other job at the industry , this is not what normal people face. How many people can be a MD of a bank? under 100? You are fighting for how many people? 10?100?1000? or 1000000?
shan's qn is not easily answered by yes or no la. its a trap to make lwm look bad no matter whether he chooses yes or no. parliament is abt debate, not a court whereby someone is cross-examine and asked yes or no. shan's qn is phrased in such a way that answer yes also wrong answer no also wrong one.

CPTMiller

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
shan's qn is not easily answered by yes or no la. its a trap to make lwm look bad no matter whether he chooses yes or no. parliament is abt debate, not a court whereby someone is cross-examine and asked yes or no. shan's qn is phrased in such a way that answer yes also wrong answer no also wrong one.
What to expect??

Apex01

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still alot of idiots believe in PAP lies and hiding the data.
Pinky is the one creating problems to Singaporeans and dividing us with his selfish polices and law.

==

Govt must take some responsbility for misinformation about Ceca, says Pritam Singh

• PUBLISHED
    SEP 15, 2021

SINGAPORE - In a strong criticism of what he described as a "reactive" policy towards communication, Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh on Tuesday (Sept 14) said the Government has to take some responsibility for the misinformation swirling about the India-Singapore free trade agreement.

"Ordinary Singaporeans do not delve into the intricacies of free trade agreements. Instead, they look around and come to conclusions based on what they perceive and experience," added Mr Singh.

"If Singaporeans have not for years been seeing foreigners occupying well-paying jobs while qualified Singaporeans are unemployed or under-employed, we would not be talking about this today."

Mr Singh noted that this influx of foreign workers and permanent residents from the mid 2000s had bothered former Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong, who had stepped down as Prime Minister by then.

In the second volume of Mr Goh's biography, Standing Tall, he had said that he was "surprised and annoyed" and had told Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong so.

Citing this, Mr Singh said: "If a former prime minister whose job was not directly threatened or been taken away by a foreigner can say he was 'surprised and annoyed', how much more so for a Singaporean who has experienced such fear of, or even actual loss of their livelihood?"

He warned that these feelings of insecurity and dislocation can shake Singapore's national cohesion.

He noted that WP MP Leon Perera had asked in 2016 about the number of intra-corporate transferees - foreign employees brought in from the overseas offices of multinational corporations - allowed into Singapore through Ceca.

But the Government had "simply refused to answer a question of national relevance for which data was readily available".

"Is this acceptable? Can Singaporeans be blamed for assuming that the numbers must have been so huge that the Government saw fit not to reveal them"? he said.

RoLanTo

Master Member
Reaction score
think incumbent should be abit more honest. no need sugarcoat, hide here n there the data..

Just upfront say it out loud.. every 1 human of similar capacity (family size, job, etcc) contribute same amount of money to the economy in Singapore (spend equal amount).. Whereas Singapore citizens still need to take some pocket money from govt subsidy here n there.. foreigner usually dun have..

of course the more villages i bring in, the more money they bring into Singapore (and uses less from my wallet) vs singaporean.. of course i open the flood gate la...

They should pull out the table that they hide so long (numbers of EPs/SPs from certain foreign country).. show how much tax they paid, how much money they spent on property sales/rent, how much they spent on cai png VS locals, And how much they took from govt wallet.. to see the cost/benefits

Somemore.. after they earn enough, they leave, new batch come in, rinse n repeat.. they still spend so much, but they retire n die elsewhere.. whereas local, still need waste a small small space to hold the ash if past away in singapore.. how can??

netzach

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this LMW is a true legend.
1 man show.
you can jolly well see for yourselves which side is on the C guys side and who is on the side of the common folks.
kudos to LMW.
respect.

:p :p

ohsinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If he asked me to answer YES or NO, I will tell him straight in his face that we r not in a courtroom but pahlimen, if he still wants an answer, he can go to court n stay there

This guy n the "illiterate" guy, r the most irritating

Ec7171

Reaction score

You dont need to answer yes/no sometimes.
And if LMW has basis to fight, he could object. Thr fact that he accepted is because he knew he cant run away.

If you know about the movement of natural person in depth, u will find his reasoning funny.

He mislead a portion of the population on this part. He can fight whole day but he wont have the good reason to back it up.

The fact that WP also reject it means PSP is fighting the wrong topic.

noobkia

Master Member
Reaction score
You dont need to answer yes/no sometimes.
And if LMW has basis to fight, he could object. Thr fact that he accepted is because he knew he cant run away.

If you know about the movement of natural person in depth, u will find his reasoning funny.

He mislead a portion of the population on this part. He can fight whole day but he wont have the good reason to back it up.

The fact that WP also reject it means PSP is fighting the wrong topic.
The broader stroke of wat psp is fighting for isn’t wrong which is how to balance Singaporean interest against the need for FT. Just that their ANG moh no good. The phrasing of the motion no good, tio caught on a few words and Miw keep Harping on the wording. Psp Naive no doubt but they are new to parliament. Good policies should under rigorous debate and having oppo in parliament helps do that. I’m of the opinion that things are better with more opposition compared to the times when there was only low and Chiam. How do we ensure our interests are always looked after if we don’t have the politicians fighting for our votes?

Eric A Blair

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If he asked me to answer YES or NO, I will tell him straight in his face that we r not in a courtroom but pahlimen, if he still wants an answer, he can go to court n stay there

This guy n the "illiterate" guy, r the most irritating
Bro, for moi I will ask 3WoodRoot how's Jothie Zeh Zeh and he will diam diam straight away de....

SpecialKeyboardService

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Leong Mun Wai be like ...

5e6659dbc5714cda8d5e22af7f73f93b.gif

And Lawrence Wong ...

next-goldberg.gif
Then raesah Khan leh?

SpecialKeyboardService

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
experience actually becomes a hinderance to find new ways to do things.

Remember, there are no wrong ways to do it. Dun let experience tell you otherwise.

For a tech company, experience is not an asset.
Some companies want 20 years in swift and java leh

May Day

Reaction score
LMW the true patriot. gotta give it to him.

most millionaires at his age can just sit back and enjoy their landed property.
Yes, a patriot who is getting his nose bloodied because he dared to speak up for Singaporeans.

The PAP's uncouth bullying of other MPs who don't share their group think and bad judgement in managing COVID and FTs in our country is disgraceful and not classy to say the least.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.