PSP Leong Mun Wai vs MOF minister Lawrence Wong in Parliament on 14 September 2021 at 1400-0030 hrs

redorangeyellow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
drive grab actually earns more then many other jobs for example, cleaners.

if you want to classify what is loser, need to sort by wages 1st......
Earn more yes. But what is the career progression? Do we need so many drivers around in singapore? Do they have health benefits? Standard annual leaves? Insurance? Dental? Cpf contributed by grab? Bonus? Increments? Fees increases accordance to operating costs like gas price increases?

Lets think more and consider the issues deeper. Then we will uncover that grab drivers are just modern day slaves.

redorangeyellow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oops.

Drive grab is losers and the lazy.

They shld reflect why they dun have a job anymore. and how to get one in the new post covid era.

Their education is long ago. Those jobs dun exist anymore.
So how should the govt help them ensure that whatever they have learnt and skills/Experience accumulated over the years are still relevant to today's workforce?

CPTMiller

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why WP never ask this similar question all this years? It need a newbie Leong to do it??

zphoe222

Reaction score
The point is LMW agreed that some will feel offended. Fact is that is true.
PSP should chose words wisely to avoid it. Thats all what PAP wants. Dont just aim CECA only.

This is a problem. But just because someone earn 15k previously means he can earn 10k forever?
There are many others who is better than you. The world is moving faster than you think.
It is all about what skills , experience you bring to the organization to add value.

LMW's hear tis in the right place. He is not eloquent and not very good at speeches. He is fighting beyond his weight class to say the least!

No, I do not expect a person whether he is a citizen or not to have special treatment and be "looked after" for life by the gov to ensure he continues to earn his last drawn 15k or 35k sgd per month!

As a older citizen, I strongly believe in the quality of the singapore citizen workforce core in the work place. Our citizens are highly qualified, smart and will be able to take the fight and compete with any foreigners or PR! We will triumph if the the competition is fair! Level the playing field is what the gov needs to do! Do away with age discrimination if it exists. Do away with salary arbitrages that employers can do etc etc

Point I am making is that, for the displaced age group of 40-60 experienced highly qualified/highly educated citizens, surely there will be value add to companies! Even if there are no direct skills (which can be trained and learned where both parties agree), there will definitely be Transferable life experiences and skillset that will be an asset for propective employers!

It will most likely to be a paycut proposition to get a job, BUT seriously should an ex Managing Director of a bank moonlight (not by choice) as a grab driver or SDA ?

durain

Master Member
Reaction score
Sry i catch no balls. Ask him B, he Say A, ask him A he say B. Debate one whole afternoon and waste tax payers money, end up "we support ceca in general", but wanna debate other things. This one nt coffee shop leh bro, allow you to talk about anything under the sun. Provide you data , dont even know how to read.

Iamnotib

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Earn more yes. But what is the career progression? Do we need so many drivers around in singapore? Do they have health benefits? Standard annual leaves? Insurance? Dental? Cpf contributed by grab? Bonus? Increments? Fees increases accordance to operating costs like gas price increases?

Lets think more and consider the issues deeper. Then we will uncover that grab drivers are just modern day slaves.
Why the displeasure with grab drivers? It is just another "self-employed" job that is available to job-seekers just like hawkers, insurance and housing agents, push cart business owners etc. The choice is with the individual whether he/she wants to do this, or go for salaried employment elsewhere. If one chooses the path of "self-employment", then one accepts that benefits such as leave, insurance, cpf, increments etc does not come as part of the package.
If want career progression, then go for salaried employment.

kyo_465

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LMW's hear tis in the right place. He is not eloquent and not very good at speeches. He is fighting beyond his weight class to say the least!

No, I do not expect a person whether he is a citizen or not to have special treatment and be "looked after" for life by the gov to ensure he continues to earn his last drawn 15k or 35k sgd per month!

As a older citizen, I strongly believe in the quality of the singapore citizen workforce core in the work place. Our citizens are highly qualified, smart and will be able to take the fight and compete with any foreigners or PR! We will triumph if the the competition is fair! Level the playing field is what the gov needs to do! Do away with age discrimination if it exists. Do away with salary arbitrages that employers can do etc etc

Point I am making is that, for the displaced age group of 40-60 experienced highly qualified/highly educated citizens, surely there will be value add to companies! Even if there are no direct skills (which can be trained and learned where both parties agree), there will definitely be Transferable life experiences and skillset that will be an asset for propective employers!

It will most likely to be a paycut proposition to get a job, BUT seriously should an ex Managing Director of a bank moonlight (not by choice) as a grab driver or SDA ?
why not? If there are younger candidates with a fresh mind?

Why do you want to hog the positions of the younger generations? Time to go then go gracefully.

Dun fight a battle which you think you can handle. The decision is not up to you anymore.

kyo_465

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sry i catch no balls. Ask him B, he Say A, ask him A he say B. Debate one whole afternoon and waste tax payers money, end up "we support ceca in general", but wanna debate other things. This one nt coffee shop leh bro, allow you to talk about anything under the sun. Provide you data , dont even know how to read.
His strength in denial is remarkable. I give him that.

No wonder losers pick him as a spokes person.

zphoe222

Reaction score
I dun dream or hope for another LKY.

I will be the leader my family needs no matter the circumstances. I dun depend on a government change or hope there is a better one,

Well it is good to take responsibility for your family

I am talking about a leader to take responsibility for the people of the country

zphoe222

Reaction score
why not? If there are younger candidates with a fresh mind?

Why do you want to hog the positions of the younger generations? Time to go then go gracefully.

Dun fight a battle which you think you can handle. The decision is not up to you anymore.

Fresh minds are good but they lacked experience!
And the idea is not "Hog", lets compete fairly on merits whether young or old, foreigner or citizens or PR

What is needed is to level the playing field that gives an edge to non citizens and that is Not acceptable

kyo_465

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fresh minds are good but they lacked experience!
And the idea is not "Hog", lets compete fairly on merits whether young or old, foreigner or citizens or PR

What is needed is to level the playing field that gives an edge to non citizens and that is Not acceptable
experience actually becomes a hinderance to find new ways to do things.

Remember, there are no wrong ways to do it. Dun let experience tell you otherwise.

For a tech company, experience is not an asset.

theMKR

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

fight with new citizens which doesnt have NS, ICT, IPPT??? sounds super fair....

zphoe222

Reaction score
experience actually becomes a hinderance to find new ways to do things.

Remember, there are no wrong ways to do it. Dun let experience tell you otherwise.

For a tech company, experience is not an asset.

Well,

I will agree that while fresh minds are good to find innovative and better ways of doing things, it works perfectly well when there is time and room for errors and mistakes as you can remedy unworkable solutions

During a crisis do or die situation where millions of dollars or lives are stake, an experienced hand will be much appreciated to lead one out of danger to safety!

Look at Manpower Tan, he is citing that there is International standard to measure underemployment, he has ALL the room to be creative and find solutions! Listening to the speech, you may infer as I did that MOM is still trying to find the proper international standard to measure and then come with solution which is bad and by then will defintely be too late for our citizen chort in their 50-60 year old no?

kyo_465

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well,

I will agree that while fresh minds are good to find innovative and better ways of doing things, it works perfectly well when there is time and room for errors and mistakes as you can remedy unworkable solutions

During a crisis do or die situation where millions of dollars or lives are stake, an experienced hand will be much appreciated to lead one out of danger to safety!

Look at Manpower Tan, he is citing that there is International standard to measure underemployment, he has ALL the room to be creative and find solutions! Listening to the speech, you may infer as I did that MOM is still trying to find the proper international standard to measure and then come with solution which is bad and by then will defintely be too late for our citizen chort in their 50-60 year old no?
having international standards and past know methodology for KPI measurement is not the same as new innovation and products to bring in new sources of revenue.

Its not apple to apple comparison.

A company who does not have new innovation will go into crisis mode. No experience will save you.

If you cannot afford mistakes and errors, your company has no room for growth. Then you stagnate and close.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.