PSU = 5-yr warranty vs 10-yr warranty........

transparos

Reaction score
i think depends on ur style, if u are a person who change pc every 5 years, can change PSU also.

for example 5 years u may have bought a rig with 550/650w psu which is more than enough at that time. now u want to reuse also will hard as now pc use more power. if you are 1 who die die must utilize the 10 years, you have to buy bigger w power supply to reuse for your next rig.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think depends on ur style, if u are a person who change pc every 5 years, can change PSU also.

for example 5 years u may have bought a rig with 550/650w psu which is more than enough at that time. now u want to reuse also will hard as now pc use more power. if you are 1 who die die must utilize the 10 years, you have to buy bigger w power supply to reuse for your next rig.
I change my rig quite often, but I generally reuse the PSU, casing and SSDs. For me, I will only change PSU when I think that it is cutting it too close to the power requirement. For example, I decommissioned my Seasonic 550W PSU when I upgraded to a GTX 1080 Ti. At full load running games, I recorded a full system power draw of around 400 to 450W. So I upgraded to a 750W to widen the gap.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually to me 5 years is enough if you don't regularly update upgrade hardware.

If you often upgrade your GPU the power requirements will require higher PSU so the 10 years warranty is useless.

But if you selling your PSU to another person maybe 10 years warranty will let u find buyers.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I'm singaporean. The longer the warranty, the better, the more i like. :o

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I'm singaporean. The longer the warranty, the better, the more i like. :o

Yeah, besides that psu likely not to change form factor and plugs for a very long time so long warranty is quite good

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I change my rig quite often, but I generally reuse the PSU, casing and SSDs. For me, I will only change PSU when I think that it is cutting it too close to the power requirement. For example, I decommissioned my Seasonic 550W PSU when I upgraded to a GTX 1080 Ti. At full load running games, I recorded a full system power draw of around 400 to 450W. So I upgraded to a 750W to widen the gap.

how about cpu hsf and case fan? I think these ones also can buy once and settle for life.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
All warranty is welcome as long as the vendor does not push back the responsibility of their faulty product to the customer like the "G" brand šŸ˜…

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so dont need to keep changing psu
chiu need to do your part to reduce e-waste!

on a serious note
i believe 10 years warranty blowing up is less damaging than a 5 years warranty blowing up
at least base on my anecdotal experience, my 7 years old warranty (10 years actual age) blow up didn't damage my pc components

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how about cpu hsf and case fan? I think these ones also can buy once and settle for life.
Normally when I sell off my rig, I sell off most of the parts, including CPU cooler. CPU cooler in my opinion as you mentioned, used to be something that you can carry forward for a new build. But in recent years, I think we start to see CPUs and also GPUs getting more power hungry/ run hotter. I used to stick to a Cooler Master Hyper 212, but as I upgrade my rig over the years, it was barely keeping up.

Case fan I may keep since it is fixed to my case which I prefer not to change.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Atx12vo coming soon.
I don't know how fast will the adoption be actually. Considering I've read about this since start of the year, none of the new PSUs seem to come with this new connector. Likewise for the 12 pin power that Nvidia started using with their higher end Ampere cards. Till now, I've not seen any new PSUs come with that connection/ cable either.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It might be better to invest in a good PSU that can last longer and will be less likely to take out other components should it turn faulty.

A longer warranty usually means better quality components. PSU is one area that I would not skimp on.

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i once RMA a seasonic PSU thru corbell but got told it's EOL already and they basically just give me brand new model

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Corbell always give the current new unit lol.

I from p1000 go to p1050 to prime platinum

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.