Question About vlan

lambo

Reaction score
Hi i have question about vlan setup for Singtel Fiber ONR

Correct me if i am wrong.

Router need to be set to Assign vlan tagging to the ports that is connected devices
Port 1 Access point (vlan 10)
Port 2 Downstream switch (vlan 10)
Port 3 PC (vlan 10)

For the downstream Switch it does not support vlan. Can we assess the internet when connected to it?
For Access Point. i am able to assign vlan to each SSID. Do we need to set the SSID to vlan 10 for it to work? Somehow when i set it to vlan 40 or 50 it does not work.)

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi i have question about vlan setup for Singtel Fiber ONR
Correct me if i am wrong.
Router need to be set to Assign vlan tagging to the ports that is connected devices
Port 1 Access point (vlan 10)
Port 2 Downstream switch (vlan 10)
Port 3 PC (vlan 10)
For the downstream Switch it does not support vlan. Can we assess the internet when connected to it?
For Access Point. i am able to assign vlan to each SSID. Do we need to set the SSID to vlan 10 for it to work? Somehow when i set it to vlan 40 or 50 it does not work.)

No VLAN setting is needed for SingTel ONR as it is the main router and it will handle the VLAN.

Your own router has to be set up in AP mode in order to avoid Double NAT.

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
vlan in home network?
how many devices u running wor

lambo

Reaction score
vlan in home network?
Its not really for using vlan. I just want to solve the problem to allow all the device to be able to connect to the internet. Currently have around 20 person in the household. Spread across 4 level with 4 access point.

I am changing the current router to a Cloud manage gateway. Have not figure how to solve the vlan tagging issue cause by singnet ONR

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
vlan in home network?

Actually there is nothing wrong to use VLAN in the home network.

For SingTel ONT users you have to setup VLAN for both the Internet (VLAN ID 10) and SingTel TV (VLAN ID 20).

Then quite some users set up VLAN for home network to segregate IoT devices with other home devices.

Some users use SingTel TV while using other ISPs for Fibre Internet. They may need to set up VLAN to mix Singtel TV and the Fibre Internet if they have only one LAN port in the TV Console area and they want to put an wireless AP in the TV console area.

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its not really for using vlan. I just want to solve the problem to allow all the device to be able to connect to the internet. Currently have around 20 person in the household. Spread across 4 level with 4 access point.

I am changing the current router to a Cloud manage gateway. Have not figure how to solve the vlan tagging issue cause by singnet ONR
That is a LARGE household~~~~~~~
I can see why you need vlan with that kind of broadcast traffic
I don't know how your network is setup to give you advise

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score

With so many users and the ONR's HW limitation (to route), I will request ST to bridge the ONR so I could connect to any router I want.

With an "un-bridged" ONR, no matter what network setup you use/implement, you will not be able to use at its full potential.​

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
vlan in home network?
Even for a regular household. the use of VLANs is not a bad thing.

For one, IoT devices should never be on the same network as other devices, because of their inherently poor/nonexistent security. They are free gateways into home networks for malicious actors, so this is practically a must-do for people with a lot of IoT and desire the smart home lifestyle.

For homes with surveillance CCTVs via the network interfaces, they should be on a VLAN or a separate LAN of their own with their own storage server/NAS.

The other use case would be to separate media devices to isolate multicast devices like TVs and other media devices, for better network quality for other devices like phones and computers.

The last VLAN that is obvious is the guest network, for visitors to have internet access while not having access to your home devices and servers.

lambo

Reaction score
With so many users and the ONR's HW limitation (to route), I will request ST to bridge the ONR so I could connect to any router I want.

With an "un-bridged" ONR, no matter what network setup you use/implement, you will not be able to use at its full potential.​
Can we Bridge the ONR ourself? Currently i am using a Netgear Orbi with its wifi turn off to route the traffic to the network of access point. However The internet seem to freeze for some device and need to turn off device's WIFI and on again to resume normal operation.

Just now i tried to plug in my laptop's LAN port directly to the ONR. It does not seem to be able to connect to Internet or get an IP. Why does SingTel make it so difficult.

Where can i learn more about vlan? Its really frustrating if we cannot connect to the internet.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can we Bridge the ONR ourself? Currently i am using a Netgear Orbi with its wifi turn off to route the traffic to the network of access point. However The internet seem to freeze for some device and need to turn off device's WIFI and on again to resume normal operation.

Just now i tried to plug in my laptop's LAN port directly to the ONR. It does not seem to be able to connect to Internet or get an IP. Why does SingTel make it so difficult.

Where can i learn more about vlan? Its really frustrating if we cannot connect to the internet.

You need to ask Singtel to bridge the ONR. If you do it by yourself, even if you succeed Singtel can anytime reset your profile and you will lose the internet access.

Are you sure you are using a Singtel ONR? If you use Singtel ONR, your laptop will have no problem access the Internet.

I believe you have the ZTE ONT just like me. It is configured as an ONT even it may have "Optic Network Router" in the front label. In that case, get a TL-SG105E or TL-SG108E and follow the discussion here.

Read the link here about VLAN.

lambo

Reaction score
You need to ask Singtel to bridge the ONR. If you do it by yourself, even if you succeed Singtel can anytime reset your profile and you will lose the internet access.

Are you sure you are using a Singtel ONR? If you use Singtel ONR, your laptop will have no problem access the Internet.

I believe you have the ZTE ONT just like me. It is configured as an ONT even it may have "Optic Network Router" in the front label. In that case, get a TL-SG105E or TL-SG108E and follow the discussion here.
I checked the device. You might be right.
Brand : ZTE
Product : GPON ONR
Model : ZXA10 F620G

Why do they labelled an ONT as an ONR?
Read the link here about VLAN.
Will try to read up and pick up later

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I checked the device. You might be right.
Brand : ZTE
Product : GPON ONR
Model : ZXA10 F620G
Why do they labelled an ONT as an ONR?
Will try to read up and pick up later

It is an ONT. I have the same model.

Basically the ZTE device can be configured as either ONR or ONT but configured as an ONT by SingTel.

lambo

Reaction score
So after much reading, Which is confusing. here is my understanding.

Can you correct me if i am wrong.

In order to use a router or gateway. I need to get an Layer 2 Switch with support vlan.

Then connect the ONT to the switch before going to our gateway or router?

ONT
Port 1 - Layer 2 Switch Port 1 (Vlan 1)

Layer 2 Switch
Port 1 - ONT (vlan 1)
Port 2 - Router 2 (vlan 10)
Port 3 - Router 2 if needed (vlan 10)

Correct?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So after much reading, Which is confusing. here is my understanding.

Can you correct me if i am wrong.

In order to use a router or gateway. I need to get an Layer 2 Switch with support vlan.

Then connect the ONT to the switch before going to our gateway or router?

ONT
Port 1 - Layer 2 Switch Port 1 (Vlan 1)

Layer 2 Switch
Port 1 - ONT (vlan 1)
Port 2 - Router 1 (vlan 10)
Port 3 - Router 2 if needed (vlan 10)

Correct?

Yes that is about right. Different VLAN capable switch may need different settings.

The cheapest option is to get a TL-SG105E or TL-SG108E and then you can adapte from the following setup. You do not have SIngtel TV boxes so that things are much simplified (only VLAN 10 is required).

lambo

Reaction score
Yes that is about right. Different VLAN capable switch may need different settings.

The cheapest option is to get a TL-SG105E or TL-SG108E and then you can adapte from the following setup. You do not have SIngtel TV boxes so that things are much simplified (only VLAN 10 is required).
Hi I just bought a TPlink TL-SG108E. Can advise if i set any setting wrongly? It is ok to leak Port Based VLAN configuration disabled?

1-Port-Based-VLAN.jpg

2-VLAN.jpg

3-PVID.jpg

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your settings are very much incorrect. Please look at the examples again.

Try the following in your case as you do not have Singtel TV box (no need VLAN 20)

1) Leave port based VLAN as disabled.
2) Change Port 2-8 to VLAN 10 untagged (not tagged)
3) Port 2-8 PVID all set to 10

Then you can connect your own router to any of the port from Port 2-8.

Ref:

ONT -> Port 1 (trunk port)
Port 2 -> XT 8 (upstream port VLAN ID 10 untagged as no VLAN settings will be used)
Port 3 -> Singtel Router (upstream port VLAN 10 tagged as it understands VLAN ID 10/20)
Port 4 -> Singtel TV Box (upstream port VLAN 20 tagged as it understands VLAN ID 20)
Port 5 -> Empty (not used)

Last edited:

lambo

Reaction score
Hi, whats the difference between Tagged and unTagged?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, whats the difference between Tagged and unTagged?
You tag for vlan aware devices behind it.

You untag when the device behind the port is not vlan aware, like a TV or cheap AP.

Explained in the Primer thread:

lambo

Reaction score
Updated Post:

Hi, I tried

ONT -> Smart Switch Port 1 (trunk port)

Smart Switch Port 1 -> to ONT (Above)
Smart Switch Port 2 -> My PC (the DHCP did not get any IP address) Why??

Smart Switch Setting

7HA0btKl.png

RRnS34Xl.png

Before this stupid singtel introduce vlan. We use to be able to plug in any device to get an internet IP. However it does not work? Is there anything still missing?

Last edited:

lilycll

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried

ONT -> Port 1 (trunk port)
Port 2 -> My PC (the DHCP did not get any IP address)

Before this stupid singtel introduce vlan. We use to be able to plug in any device to get an internet IP. However it does not work? Is there anything still missing?

Sounds like this Port 1 and Port 2 device is the new TPlink TL-SG108E smart switch and you were trying to connect it like a Router. This will not work. You need a Router in between the ONT and the Smart Switch.

If you have tagged both Port 1 and Port 2 with same VLAN 10 ID, with the ONT connected to Port 1 and PC to Port 2, your PC might be able to get a direct public IP address assigned from SingTel.

Recheck your VLAN settings again or connect a proper Router in between them.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.