questions about ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
recently was trying out Ubuntu on old laptop intel i5 @ 2.4Mhz 8gb. as am still new, gotta a few questions to ask hope anyone can help

1. how long it usually takes to bootup?'
I felt my took too long, as long as windows bootup

2. how to remove those bootup message?
"quiet splash" were in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, so I suppose to see just the splash. but i keep seeing lots of processes start text scrolling up

3. Partitions after installation
using fdisk it is showing Extended & Linux each 210.1G. windows NTFS 255.1G

HD is 500GB, was partition half each for windows & ubuntu. so wondering where the extra 210.1G from? is this normal?

4. replacing with another distro
can i overwrite the existing ubuntu by installing say elementary os over the linux partition?

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

flpages

Reaction score
I am using ubuntu 20.04 now.
It boot up and run application much faster than windows, I think It may have some problems of your installation.

Tony.Manero

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Edit your grub config. Temporarily remove the quiet word. When it boots, it'll show all the boot up text. This will let you know why it's slow. Observe where it slows down

ipevery

Reaction score
no need to do that. Any systemd system should be able to get a good statistics using thise command:

$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2min 6.119s (firmware) + 13.376s (loader) + 12.864s (kernel) + 11.738s (userspace) = 2min 44.100s
graphical.target reached after 8.968s in userspace

To see what is slow:

systemd-analyze critical-chain

To see everything graphically:

systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg

Edit your grub config. Temporarily remove the quiet word. When it boots, it'll show all the boot up text. This will let you know why it's slow. Observe where it slows down

Tony.Manero

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no need to do that. Any systemd system should be able to get a good statistics using thise command:

$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2min 6.119s (firmware) + 13.376s (loader) + 12.864s (kernel) + 11.738s (userspace) = 2min 44.100s

To see what is slow:

Jskm :vijayadmin:

Reaction score

$ systemd-analyze

To see what is slow:

Except that it doesn't. There is a strange issue on my dual Xeon workstation where the boot process always stalls for about 5 minutes while trying to bring up the root filesystem before finally performing an fsck (which obviously returns no errors) but it never gets captured under systemd-analyze.
stall.png

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.