Retention of Car Plates

seeseelooklook

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did the above previously when I bought a car (B) for the vehicle number.

So I had 2 cars A & B under my name. I retained the desired vehicle number (Car B) and used on Car A. Paid $1300. Then Car B gets a new vehicle number.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You retain at $1300 and get back $1200 later. Transfer your car to your friend. Your friend retain his plate and use it at your car $1300.

It's not a swap.

I don't know if this is correct but there's no $2600 ($1300 x2) for your friend.
AH!!! I see, yes, this makes sense, I know what you mean. Since his car is traded off, he can retain the carplate with no issues.!

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since you are buying new car, the cost to you is only $100. The cost to your friend will be $1300 since he is going to use his number plate on your existing car.

The best is wait till your new CX5 is ready for registration.
Then you use your existing vehicle number for your new car.
Your Mazda3 will get a new vehicle number.
Then you transfer ownership of Mazda3 to your friend.
Then your friend retain his existing number plate to use on the Mazda 3. His old car will get a new vehicle number.

Cost incurred will be $11 transfer fee and $1300 for using existing number plate on old car. Plus new number plates for the 2 cars. $30 x2

Don't need to swap car.
Yes!! Got it, thanks!! I finally understand how this works great. I'll let him know.

kebinu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last issue is the transfer of vehicle. We need to have valid insurance before we can transfer right?

If go through dealer, then maybe easier but this will add transfer count?

Am I right for both cases?

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last issue is the transfer of vehicle. We need to have valid insurance before we can transfer right?

If go through dealer, then maybe easier but this will add transfer count?

Am I right for both cases?
I think you can transfer without valid insurance, just cannot drive the car. :D

The other day saw your comment that is still in consideration stage. Now confirm liao. Congrates!
Stock is best. :)

Is it with the upgraded MazdaConnect system, like those found in the newest Mazda 3 and CX-30?
Its the 7th gen, with touch screen, only CX-30 and Maz3 Astina comes with the non-touch screen higher resolution.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks all... my friend decided to just let the car go as the plate is not something special, he misses his first car plate # which is like... decades ago. So he will take the new number instead. :)

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So TEK will not bring in the model with the newest MazdaConnect? Very weird.
They might, I have no idea, I was also thinking of holding out for the 10" new design, but there's a few things I would miss...

- higher price when the new model comes in (normally $15-20K more for no reason!??!)
- non-touch screen - the 10" is non-touch screen, you can't mod it as it has no touch panel, I'm used to the existing screen which I can do AIO.
- Price was very good, I went in told the SE, no games, just give me the best price, I'm here to sign, she did it, which was better than what I expected.

My friend is already 'choping' my new ride, say 5 years later, he wants to take over... :cautious:

sinistral

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They might, I have no idea, I was also thinking of holding out for the 10" new design, but there's a few things I would miss...

- higher price when the new model comes in (normally $15-20K more for no reason!??!)
- non-touch screen - the 10" is non-touch screen, you can't mod it as it has no touch panel, I'm used to the existing screen which I can do AIO.
- Price was very good, I went in told the SE, no games, just give me the best price, I'm here to sign, she did it, which was better than what I expected.

My friend is already 'choping' my new ride, say 5 years later, he wants to take over... :cautious:

Think your current ride has the same MazdaConnect infotainment? Cause I think it's slightly buggy as my music will not play at all after I pick up and end phone call through the system.

Otherwise if the price is really good and you don't mind the current infotainment system, no brainer to go ahead with the purchase.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think your current ride has the same MazdaConnect infotainment? Cause I think it's slightly buggy as my music will not play at all after I pick up and end phone call through the system.

Otherwise if the price is really good and you don't mind the current infotainment system, no brainer to go ahead with the purchase.
Mine's working fine after retrofitting carplay from an external installer.

:) anyway what's signed is signed.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.