Royal Caribbean - Spectrum of the Seas

nerosquid

Reaction score
We didn’t go Jungceylon, as look from outside seems closed,
we shop at the opposite shopping place - Central, nearby there’s Big C also, you can shop there too
Big C is within Jungceylon and it’s open for business. One of the few that is open. Just follow the signs.
7-11 store near the boat pier has similar snacks if you are just heading to big C for snacks.

Last edited:

nerosquid

Reaction score
For parents with kids looking at the kids menu in MDR for your meals, I suggest you just order from the adult menu. IMHO, MDR do fish, shrimp and pasta dishes really poorly, and the later the seating, the food quality generally goes down. The situation in the Windjammer isn’t as bad as the impression I got while reading this forum, but food wise, just stick to breakfast and lunch if possible.

Kykykt

Reaction score
For parents with kids looking at the kids menu in MDR for your meals, I suggest you just order from the adult menu. IMHO, MDR do fish, shrimp and pasta dishes really poorly, and the later the seating, the food quality generally goes down. The situation in the Windjammer isn’t as bad as the impression I got while reading this forum, but food wise, just stick to breakfast and lunch if possible.
Yea same, the Windjammer isn’t as bad as mentioned, we think food wise Windjammer is better; only thing is might abit difficult to get table during peak hours

Tripp

Reaction score

"Hello, dearest customer. Currently, we have some services ready to operate, e.g., Big C, Starbucks, McDonald, and Bank zone. Jungceylon promised to open 'phase one' this year's end."

"We expect to open the phase one at mid of Dec, please follow Jungceylon Page for an official announcement soon."

dragonflyy

Reaction score
Sorry first time going cruise abit suaku. Understood that we couldn't bring open bottled water on board the cruise. Can I bring an empty 1.5L bottle?

Kykykt

Reaction score
can bring, but there's a limit of 12 500ml bottles for non alcoholic or 2 bottled 750ml of wine or champagne

just add on - this is Per stateroom not per pax ya.

Saw one thought is per pax, they brought 4 bottles of wine was stopped by security officer when go through security screening

BRYSG7

Reaction score
any ideas or suggestion on how to make use of the Beverage package (non alcoholic)? its only $140/person for my dates at the moment. considering it if there are actually drinks worth getting the package

Acemandoo

Reaction score
May i check for wine and bottle bottle, can we check in luggage or have to be hand carry?

anyone have the recent day schedule screenshot to share for the 5D4N penang Phuket?
TIA!

askeleanor

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker on this thread for months in preparation for my first ever cruise. The cruise concluded yesterday so I am hoping to share my experience since this thread has helped me a lot. I will try my best to share as much as I can while being concise.

Just for context, I am traveling with my granny (80), my mom (60+), and two sisters (30s). Booked two interior staterooms and won the Royal Bid for both to be upgraded to an unobstructed balcony view. For those who are curious, I bid without any expectations as I only bid slightly higher than the minimum. Since it was our first cruise, we didn't purchase any package nor intend to eat at any specialty restaurants so that we can experience the cruise in its raw form.

Checking in was extremely easy. Everything is done on the app. We selected 11:30 since the 10:30 slot was full. Marina Bay Cruise Centre (MCSS) was super packed that day but the entire process (including security checks and whatnot) was a breeze. The staff checking us in explained to us what to expect once we board the ship. After scanning our passports, the cruise staff will collect our passports. You will then need to go to the allocated area for the safety brief. It is relatively short, roughly 5 minutes or so. Afterwhich, you will be free to move around the ship. We went to the Main Dining Room (MDR) for our lunch. This is the only time when the MDR is in a buffet-style setting. There will be an announcement at around 1:30 to inform everyone how many people are onboard and that the rooms are ready (there were 5000+ cruisers yikes). The room is very nice and clean. Do remember to bring your oral care as it is not provided. You may also want to bring your own shampoo and shower gel if you're particular about that since the ones provided are 2-in-1. There aren't any room slippers so you might want to bring your own. While we are inside dropping off our bags, the housekeeping staff came and gave us a small introduction of himself as well as the room. The ship started moving around 4:30 pm.

The cruise ship ported at Penang, Swettenham Pier, at around 2:00 pm. We proceeded to the gangway at 3 pm to disembark the ship. You will be required to scan your seapass card and the security staff will match the photo in the system before you are allowed to pass through. There will be a lot of people touting at the exit so it would be better to walk a little further down as they can be a little annoying. Since we already planned where to go, we used Grab to get around as it's very cheap (most of our rides are around 10RM for a 6-seater). Getting back up the ship would require the same process of scanning your seapass card as well as a security scan. If I remembered correctly, the cruise ship departed at around 9 pm.

As for the tender at Phuket, you'll need to take the ferry boats to reach the shores of Patong beach. There are regular intervals so it wasn't too long of a wait. The ferry ride takes around 10 minutes to reach the beach. Similar to Penang, there are a lot of taxis touting for business. We didn't spend too much time there as my granny couldn't walk much. There are a few restaurants to dine at and also massage parlors along the beach. We were told that the last tender was at 7:15 pm and the ship departed at around 8 pm.

Here are some of my opinions on the experience.
  • If this is your first cruise, I don't think you need to dine at specialty restaurants. We only dined at the MDR and Windjammer. The menu at MDR changes so you won't be eating the same things every day. You may choose a starter, a main, and a dessert. We didn't as for extra servings but our waiter offered extras on our last night. Windjammer can be really hectic (especially when there are 5000 people onboard). It can be difficult to find seats during peak hours. The selections are pretty much the same throughout the whole trip. However, because of the wide selection, I don't think you will get bored with it quickly. The desserts are really good and I also recommend the noodle bar, my granny loves it.

• Cafe two70 is also a great place for breakfast or a quick bite. There's rarely any crowded there too. Perhaps the fewer selection made it rather unpopular.

• Sorrento's pizza is pretty good fresh out of the oven. Very handy for late-night hunger pangs.

• We watched 3 performances; John Taylor, Show Girls, and Silkroad. Gave The Effectors a miss as there were too many children. Show Girls was the best among the 3 performances. It was very entertaining and had high production value. Silk Road requires a reservation which we were lucky enough to secure after we got on the ship on the first day (the staff was telling us that it was full and we were lucky enough to get the last few slots). If you are not able to reserve a seat, you would still be able to watch the performance if there are still available seats. However, it's really not something that you must watch. Perhaps it's because I'm not artsy enough, it does get boring very quickly.

• The staffs are extremely nice and helpful. They have provided top-notch service quality and kudos to them for serving 5000 passengers. On the last day, you would be able to watch them perform at various timing and location.

• The dress code isn't very strict. Most guys I've seen are dressed in short-sleeve tees or polos with shorts. Though there are people who really dress up for meals. I've seen suits and dresses. There was even a group of Koreans who donned traditional clothes just for lunch. For ladies in skirts, do try to stand closer to the door at the elevators in the center. The glass walls make it easy for upskirts.
Hopefully, this isn't too long. Your mileage may vary as compared to mine but I had a great time onboard. I'm also open to answering any questions so feel free to ask, I will do my best to help.

e33_lizabeth

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been a lurker on this thread for months in preparation for my first ever cruise. The cruise concluded yesterday so I am hoping to share my experience since this thread has helped me a lot. I will try my best to share as much as I can while being concise.

Just for context, I am traveling with my granny (80), my mom (60+), and two sisters (30s). Booked two interior staterooms and won the Royal Bid for both to be upgraded to an unobstructed balcony view. For those who are curious, I bid without any expectations as I only bid slightly higher than the minimum. Since it was our first cruise, we didn't purchase any package nor intend to eat at any specialty restaurants so that we can experience the cruise in its raw form.

Checking in was extremely easy. Everything is done on the app. We selected 11:30 since the 10:30 slot was full. Marina Bay Cruise Centre (MCSS) was super packed that day but the entire process (including security checks and whatnot) was a breeze. The staff checking us in explained to us what to expect once we board the ship. After scanning our passports, the cruise staff will collect our passports. You will then need to go to the allocated area for the safety brief. It is relatively short, roughly 5 minutes or so. Afterwhich, you will be free to move around the ship. We went to the Main Dining Room (MDR) for our lunch. This is the only time when the MDR is in a buffet-style setting. There will be an announcement at around 1:30 to inform everyone how many people are onboard and that the rooms are ready (there were 5000+ cruisers yikes). The room is very nice and clean. Do remember to bring your oral care as it is not provided. You may also want to bring your own shampoo and shower gel if you're particular about that since the ones provided are 2-in-1. There aren't any room slippers so you might want to bring your own. While we are inside dropping off our bags, the housekeeping staff came and gave us a small introduction of himself as well as the room. The ship started moving around 4:30 pm.

The cruise ship ported at Penang, Swettenham Pier, at around 2:00 pm. We proceeded to the gangway at 3 pm to disembark the ship. You will be required to scan your seapass card and the security staff will match the photo in the system before you are allowed to pass through. There will be a lot of people touting at the exit so it would be better to walk a little further down as they can be a little annoying. Since we already planned where to go, we used Grab to get around as it's very cheap (most of our rides are around 10RM for a 6-seater). Getting back up the ship would require the same process of scanning your seapass card as well as a security scan. If I remembered correctly, the cruise ship departed at around 9 pm.

As for the tender at Phuket, you'll need to take the ferry boats to reach the shores of Patong beach. There are regular intervals so it wasn't too long of a wait. The ferry ride takes around 10 minutes to reach the beach. Similar to Penang, there are a lot of taxis touting for business. We didn't spend too much time there as my granny couldn't walk much. There are a few restaurants to dine at and also massage parlors along the beach. We were told that the last tender was at 7:15 pm and the ship departed at around 8 pm.

Here are some of my opinions on the experience.
  • If this is your first cruise, I don't think you need to dine at specialty restaurants. We only dined at the MDR and Windjammer. The menu at MDR changes so you won't be eating the same things every day. You may choose a starter, a main, and a dessert. We didn't as for extra servings but our waiter offered extras on our last night. Windjammer can be really hectic (especially when there are 5000 people onboard). It can be difficult to find seats during peak hours. The selections are pretty much the same throughout the whole trip. However, because of the wide selection, I don't think you will get bored with it quickly. The desserts are really good and I also recommend the noodle bar, my granny loves it.

• Cafe two70 is also a great place for breakfast or a quick bite. There's rarely any crowded there too. Perhaps the fewer selection made it rather unpopular.

• Sorrento's pizza is pretty good fresh out of the oven. Very handy for late-night hunger pangs.

• We watched 3 performances; John Taylor, Show Girls, and Silkroad. Gave The Effectors a miss as there were too many children. Show Girls was the best among the 3 performances. It was very entertaining and had high production value. Silk Road requires a reservation which we were lucky enough to secure after we got on the ship on the first day (the staff was telling us that it was full and we were lucky enough to get the last few slots). If you are not able to reserve a seat, you would still be able to watch the performance if there are still available seats. However, it's really not something that you must watch. Perhaps it's because I'm not artsy enough, it does get boring very quickly.

• The staffs are extremely nice and helpful. They have provided top-notch service quality and kudos to them for serving 5000 passengers. On the last day, you would be able to watch them perform at various timing and location.

• The dress code isn't very strict. Most guys I've seen are dressed in short-sleeve tees or polos with shorts. Though there are people who really dress up for meals. I've seen suits and dresses. There was even a group of Koreans who donned traditional clothes just for lunch. For ladies in skirts, do try to stand closer to the door at the elevators in the center. The glass walls make it easy for upskirts.
Hopefully, this isn't too long. Your mileage may vary as compared to mine but I had a great time onboard. I'm also open to answering any questions so feel free to ask, I will do my best to help.
Thanks for sharing! I will be cruising on next Thursday, am looking forward to it!

at patong where we alight from the tender boats, are there any thai restaurants or massage palours just directly there at the “doorstep”, like no need to walk too far? Travelling with elderly and young kids so not looking to venture far.
Thanks!

askeleanor

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks for sharing! I will be cruising on next Thursday, am looking forward to it!

at patong where we alight from the tender boats, are there any thai restaurants or massage palours just directly there at the “doorstep”, like no need to walk too far? Travelling with elderly and young kids so not looking to venture far.
Thanks!

Yes, there are a couple of restaurants right at the doorstep. We dined at a place called "Irish Bar". Even though the name might throw you off, the Thai food that they serve is pretty good. We ordered a Pad Thai, Pineapple fried rice (my granny loves it), green curry, tom yum soup, and mango sticky rice. There is western food too but we didn't order it. They also serve cocktails as well. Here is the address if you need it; V7PQ+CQ2, Thawewong Rd, Pa Tong, Kathu District, Phuket 83150, Thailand.

There is a massage parlor beside the restaurant but I didn't manage to try it since my mom and granny isn't a fan of massages. So I can't tell you if it's any good. If you walk left (facing the restaurant), there is a huge 7-11 where you can pick up snacks and drinks.

There are plenty of restaurants along the beach since there are hotels/resorts but I didn't get to explore much on my own.

e33_lizabeth

Reaction score
Yes, there are a couple of restaurants right at the doorstep. We dined at a place called "Irish Bar". Even though the name might throw you off, the Thai food that they serve is pretty good. We ordered a Pad Thai, Pineapple fried rice (my granny loves it), green curry, tom yum soup, and mango sticky rice. There is western food too but we didn't order it. They also serve cocktails as well. Here is the address if you need it; V7PQ+CQ2, Thawewong Rd, Pa Tong, Kathu District, Phuket 83150, Thailand.

There is a massage parlor beside the restaurant but I didn't manage to try it since my mom and granny isn't a fan of massages. So I can't tell you if it's any good. If you walk left (facing the restaurant), there is a huge 7-11 where you can pick up snacks and drinks.

There are plenty of restaurants along the beach since there are hotels/resorts but I didn't get to explore much on my own.
Thanks so much for sharing, its very helpful to me! ☺️☺️

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.