RTX 3000 series thread... (NO SCALPING DISCUSSION)

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly use more power. AIBs have been using the same power for 3080, 3090 and now 3090 Ti. Nvidia FE 3090 Ti will be the first one to use the most power compared to any of their previous offerings. Chances are you could see AIBs 3090 Ti offering closer to 500W 3090 TI's compared to Nvidia's 3090 Ti FE at 450/460W. I'd say 510W easily respecting PCIE Bus Power/PCIE Power limitations.
I think he meant that the cards are pulling more power than previous generations. And I think it is correct because if you look at RTX 3080, it actually pulls substantial amount of power to provide that performance uplift when compared to the RTX 2080 Ti. It takes almost 30% more power for the RTX 3080 to outperform the RTX 2080 Ti by around 20 to 30% if I am not mistaken. The RTX 3070 draws very slightly less power than the RTX 2080 Ti, but its got less VRAM to feed at the same time. And the RTX 3070 is not conclusively faster than the RTX 2080 Ti in most instances, with it falling behind more often than not. So with the next gen, we may see Nvidia, AMD and Intel pushing for even more power hungry cards to lift performance. Even with the RTX 3080 Ti and 3080 12GB, we see base power requirements increasing by about 10%, for about 10% or less improvement in performance.

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think he meant that the cards are pulling more power than previous generations. And I think it is correct because if you look at RTX 3080, it actually pulls substantial amount of power to provide that performance uplift when compared to the RTX 2080 Ti. It takes almost 30% more power for the RTX 3080 to outperform the RTX 2080 Ti by around 20 to 30% if I am not mistaken. The RTX 3070 draws very slightly less power than the RTX 2080 Ti, but its got less VRAM to feed at the same time. And the RTX 3070 is not conclusively faster than the RTX 2080 Ti in most instances, with it falling behind more often than not. So with the next gen, we may see Nvidia, AMD and Intel pushing for even more power hungry cards to lift performance. Even with the RTX 3080 Ti and 3080 12GB, we see base power requirements increasing by about 10%, for about 10% or less improvement in performance.
Yes that is true but future cards will definitely be as power hungry or more but there is a clear difference between Samsung and TSMC node fabrication. The latter seems to be alot more efficient. Understand that Nvidia might be going TSMC this time around for 4000 series.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes that is true but future cards will definitely be as power hungry or more but there is a clear difference between Samsung and TSMC node fabrication. The latter seems to be alot more efficient. Understand that Nvidia might be going TSMC this time around for 4000 series.
Yeah, Nvidia knows they cannot mess around this time round. Because they had an architecture advantage, they have been scrimping on the node. But in this generation, AMD certainly surprised them with their RDNA2 on TSMC's 7nm offering a significant improvement over their RDNA GPUs. Nvidia's Ampere based on Samsung 8nm (refined 10nm) is clearly outclassed, saved only by a better architecture again. If Nvidia chooses to stick to the second or third best node with their RTX 4xxx series, chances is that AMD will overtake them on TSMC's 5nm from a performance standpoint.

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded the latest driver, holy DLDSR really makes the games I've tried briefly, prey and cyberpunk 2077 looks nicer without much performance hit.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I try for cyberpunk the fps drop similar to normal DSR.

In term of graphic it is actually better simulate from my 2k monitor as 4k compare to my previous experience with legacy DSR.

Lastwishes

Reaction score
Been playing around with the DLDSR feature. Having more options are good, but I think the results are so-so, in the sense that I don't see much difference.

Would still use DLSS where it's available instead. I think the main scenario where it excels is that it provides an alternative method to get AA when the in-game AA is terrible.

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been playing around with the DLDSR feature. Having more options are good, but I think the results are so-so, in the sense that I don't see much difference.

Would still use DLSS where it's available instead. I think the main scenario where it excels is that it provides an alternative method to get AA when the in-game AA is terrible.
Those redditors who mentioned that they noticed the improvements are usually using both dlss and dldsr, on lower res screen 1080p.

Lastwishes

Reaction score
Those redditors who mentioned that they noticed the improvements are usually using both dlss and dldsr, on lower res screen 1080p.
Might explain it. I was looking more at whether there was any IQ improvements given a certain framerate at res screen 1440p. There were definitely some IQ improvements when using DLDSR at 2.25x, but there was also a significant hit, as compared to just going native 1440p with at max settings with DLSS enabled.

I think the feature is good when there's enough performance headroom to take the hit for the IQ improvements (mostly older games), but for the new ones I'm not so sure. Might be I'm not using it correctly as well. Would need to play around with it more.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Might explain it. I was looking more at whether there was any IQ improvements given a certain framerate at res screen 1440p. There were definitely some IQ improvements when using DLDSR at 2.25x, but there was also a significant hit, as compared to just going native 1440p with at max settings with DLSS enabled.

I think the feature is good when there's enough performance headroom to take the hit for the IQ improvements (mostly older games), but for the new ones I'm not so sure. Might be I'm not using it correctly as well. Would need to play around with it more.
I am using the icat tool for the comparison

https://www.nvidia.com/en-sg/geforce/technologies/icat/
Easier to find the difference when changing between 2 different resolution still doing some test now.

I saw someone using this like NIS downscale monitor resolution to use DLDSR previously which is overcomplicate and incorrect.

DLDSR is very simple and direct just enabled it in the nvcp for the DLDSR and play the game as per my understanding.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using LG 38GN950, no complaints from me! 165hz, 1600p UW. Much cheaper than the dell also, I asked dell for coupons and best price they give some lousy ass student discount. Bought my monitor for $1738 after coupons from lazada last year. Used new credit card to purchase also, they had running offer of spending like 2k in first 3 months and get $300 cashback. So essentially monitor just under 1.5k, worth :)
Anyone thinking of getting aw3423dw?

obichacha

Reaction score
I noticed my Corsair SF750 really does not have enough power for my Intel 12700k, DDR5 5600 x 4 slots, and EATX board with RTX 3080 Ti and water cooler with fully RGB setup.
When the starter game was on, within 10mins my black screen for a quick while, while killing the boss.
Just order a new Corsair HX1200 with Lian li ATX case for a new rebuild.

Lower core clock PSU fan kicks in slightly longer than without a lower clock.
Meant when the fan kicked in my screen turned black.

Hopefully can resolve my issue.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.