Ryzen Agesa Bios Update Causing Constant Random Reboots

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
Have anyone experienced this, especially during gaming? Flashing back to earlier stable BIOS doesn't resolve the issue.

Symptoms
1. When gaming, suddenly black screen and system automatically reboot. No freezing beforehand. Ignores Windows setting to freeze and not reboot when there is error. Monitor signal loss and no screen after rebooting. Have to manually turn off and turn on monitor for screen to show again.

2. CPU/GPU fans suddenly rev very high and become very noisy when booted to desktop, even though system is idling. Yet CPU & GPU temps are normal.

3. Artifacting occasionally shows on screen, misleading you to assume GPU is faulty. GPU temps are normal - 55-65 degrees. But no issues or reboot when running stress test programs.

4. Windows error log show Kernel 41, misleading you to assume PSU is faulty. Even though PSU is quite new.

For those who experienced this, how did you resolve the problem or what settings did you make to stop the constant reboots?

tigerwoods

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have anyone experienced this, especially during gaming? Flashing back to earlier stable BIOS doesn't resolve the issue.

Symptoms
1. When gaming, suddenly black screen and system automatically reboot. No freezing beforehand. Ignores Windows setting to freeze and not reboot when there is error. Monitor signal loss and no screen after rebooting. Have to manually turn off and turn on monitor for screen to show again.

2. CPU/GPU fans suddenly rev very high and become very noisy when booted to desktop, even though system is idling. Yet CPU & GPU temps are normal.

3. Artifacting occasionally shows on screen, misleading you to assume GPU is faulty. GPU temps are normal - 55-65 degrees. But no issues or reboot when running stress test programs.

4. Windows error log show Kernel 41, misleading you to assume PSU is faulty. Even though PSU is quite new.

For those who experienced this, how did you resolve the problem or what settings did you make to stop the constant reboots?
PSU is quite new does not mean it wont be faulty

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
Try BIOS default settings ?
Yes, but didn't stop the reboots.

Got update chipset driver bo?
Yes, using latest driver from AMD website

TS, list all parts of your rig here.
Ryzen 3600
Gigabyte B550M DS3H
2 x 8GB XPG Spectrix D60 3200Mhz
Asrock 5700XT Phantom Gaming D
Lexar 500GB NVME
Seasonic Core GX650

RAM? Have you tried turning off D.O.C.P and try again.
My budget motherboard doesn't have D.O.C.P. I can turn on XMP in Bios. By optimized default, it only runs at 2666MHz. But makes no difference and doesn't stop the reboots.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did these symptoms appear initially, i.e. when you first got your system? If not and if you can't figure out what is wrong, just bring the motherboard, CPU and RAM to the motherboard distro (if it is a local set), to test it. It is possible that you may have corrupted the BIOS without knowing when flashing the BIOS. The last time I ran into an issue where my system is very unstable after flashing the motherboard BIOS. I had to do it then because I was using a X470 board and needed to flash it to support the newer Ryzen 3000 CPU. In the end, turns out that the BIOS was corrupted and it took a few BIOS flashes to somehow correct the problem.

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
It is possible that you may have corrupted the BIOS without knowing when flashing the BIOS. The last time I ran into an issue where my system is very unstable after flashing the motherboard BIOS. I had to do it then because I was using a X470 board and needed to flash it to support the newer Ryzen 3000 CPU. In the end, turns out that the BIOS was corrupted and it took a few BIOS flashes to somehow correct the problem.
How many BIOS flashes did you do? I'm not sure about BIOS corruption because each time I flashed using USB stick, everything went through smoothly and I didn't experience any hangs or failure. My PC rebooted successfully after flashing to POST and then desktop.

My system was rock solid on AGESA 1.0.0.2 I had read that AGESA 1.0.8.0 improved core latency and had itchy hands to update it. Unfortunately, I made a BIG mistake! I didn't spot that Gigabyte released its bios update as a beta bios. Immediately after update, the reboots happened. Later, Gigabyte removed the beta bios and replaced it with a final AGESA 1.0.8.1 bios. I flashed it but the reboots continued.

In honesty, the newer AGESA 1.0.8.1 make my system feel faster when gaming e.g. my in-game character move faster. The previous stable AGESA 1.0.0.2 felt a bit sluggish and had microstutters. That was what tempted my itchy hands. Now I really regret and just wish to get back a stable system.

I suspect the beta bios installed some buggy microcode into my bios that I'm unable to overwrite or get rid of despite flashing newer BIOS versions. Something about DMI which I don't know what it means.

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
How many BIOS flashes did you do? I'm not sure about BIOS corruption because each time I flashed using USB stick, everything went through smoothly and I didn't experience any hangs or failure. My PC rebooted successfully after flashing to POST and then desktop.

My system was rock solid on AGESA 1.0.0.2 I had read that AGESA 1.0.8.0 improved core latency and had itchy hands to update it. Unfortunately, I made a BIG mistake! I didn't spot that Gigabyte released its bios update as a beta bios. Immediately after update, the reboots happened. Later, Gigabyte removed the beta bios and replaced it with a final AGESA 1.0.8.1 bios. I flashed it but the reboots continued.

In honesty, the newer AGESA 1.0.8.1 make my system feel faster when gaming e.g. my in-game character move faster. The previous stable AGESA 1.0.0.2 felt a bit sluggish and had microstutters. That was what tempted my itchy hands. Now I really regret and just wish to get back a stable system.

I suspect the beta bios installed some buggy microcode into my bios that I'm unable to overwrite or get rid of despite flashing newer BIOS versions. Something about DMI which I don't know what it means.
try removing the CMOS battery, and re-flashing the bios again. (oldest version) and see if it works?

sucks that GB decided to remove the Dual bios feature

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Kind of hard to believe what you mention.
Cuz for PC both hardware and software in particular Windows had to work in tandem.
AGESA does improve system as well as fix issues but the given symptoms seems like you have to update
Windows/Chipset/graphic card driver.

If your Windows have been upgrade from several builds example 1909 to 20H2 etc.
Opt to try reinstall Windows with latest driver from AMD, disconnect from internet when
updating the drivers.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everything points to psu or gpu issue yet you believe its caused by bios update

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Have you check your GPU fans~?

Are all of them actually spinning when you are gaming~?
I have encountered once that one of my cables was actually obstructing one of my GPU fans from spinning causing the other one to spin at a higher rev.

And also the artifacts.. check that your GPU is not slagging.

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your first description sounds like mobo issue with faulty ram slot, I had similar issue on my very very very old mobo.
If it happen after bios update, it might screw up your ram settings, try resetting the ram or something, or reseat it.

I checked the site, the latest version is F13 while F12 says system stability
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi, @Jurchen King , i just took a look at my B550M-DS3H

you can perform a Bios Flash via USB (Q-Flash Plus) ( the white usb port near the Rear audio jacks)

Key-Steps.png

Credit goes to glennsqlperformance.com for the image

the Q flash button is located on the board itself and not the rear IO

maybe worth a short, if you think it is a board issue, before u send for RMA)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.