Samsung 2022 TV discussion thread

LiLAsN

Reaction score
Yeah, this year is pretty strange.
You can find 55G2 at $2,888 on Lazada now, official LG store on Lazada also “only” at $3,199 now. And warranty is 5 years, not sure if it really includes burn-in, though best denki people told me it is.
Samsung mini led tv also dropped much quite early.
Maybe all this because of QD OLED coming soon 😂
QD-OLED being a direct competitor + the poor sales expectations means your TVs will go on sale sooner. So who wins, us, the consumer.
I believe I mentioned it last year in the C1 thread as the TVs were being sold way cheaper than previous years. Like even cheaper than a display set.
Plus the fact that a lot of these TVs were sold based on market perception as opposed to actual value + a profit margin, what we end up with is an extremely bloated pricing.

For eg. In the US, the 77" LG OLEDs were sold at roughly SG$6000+. But our local 77" sets were sold for $11K previously and now around $9K. Still way more expensive than the US counterpart. This resulted in more OLED owners in Singapore owning a 65" at most. Quite sad.

So like I said in that thread, it is good to hold back on buying TVs immediately. For a TV that releases year after year, they need to get the TVs out the door as quickly as possible within a year. If sales target has not been met, that is why we are getting sales and discounts earlier on and it only benefits us the consumer from being charged ridiculous prices thanks to the marketing department's pricing of the products.
Hold out on buying for around 6 months and watch the prices drop fast. You'll end up with the latest TVs with prices that was only seen going on a bargain sale the following year. Do not buy any sooner. If too many people buy soon, sales targets are met, then we won't have any sales worthy to speak of.

orangbulu

Reaction score
How’s the tv so far?
So far so good. I bought it mostly to combat glare in my living room and it has worked well. Took me 1-2 days to get used to the brighness / black levels coming from an OLED, but glad that i am not longer fixated on my OLED burn in anymore and dont really have to pamper my TV

Applephilic

Reaction score
So far so good. I bought it mostly to combat glare in my living room and it has worked well. Took me 1-2 days to get used to the brighness / black levels coming from an OLED, but glad that i am not longer fixated on my OLED burn in anymore and dont really have to pamper my TV
I am using a Samsung SUHD tv. Despite all the research for this better quality Samsung tv, at the 4year mark, there was an entire line that streaked from top to bottom of the tv. Not sure if the same issue will persist for the OLED.
Anyone has this issue too?

guards80

Reaction score
Samsung_Gain%20City%20Catalog%20page_NO%20CTA_1280X457.jpg

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
I have pre-registered for the S95B QD-OLED.

I have been waiting for the local launch since the US launch in April/May.

I have checked the Samsung SG site almost daily since the US launch.

So happy to see the local pre-registration.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the firmware of the local S95B will be OOTB.

Been following the YT vids on S95B.
Firmware 1302 seems to have made Movie mode and Filmmaker mode similar.
Mixed opinions from the YT community.
Game mode it seems the movement tracing is improved, based on the YT vids I have watched.

Not interested in Sony A95K due to Sony tax and the game mode is not as good as Samsung.
And also of this:

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...m-xbox-game-pass-and-nvidia-geforce-now-games

LiLAsN

Reaction score
I wonder what the firmware of the local S95B will be OOTB.

Been following the YT vids on S95B.
Firmware 1302 seems to have made Movie mode and Filmmaker mode similar.
Mixed opinions from the YT community.
Game mode it seems the movement tracing is improved, based on the YT vids I have watched.

Not interested in Sony A95K due to Sony tax and the game mode is not as good as Samsung.
And also of this:

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...m-xbox-game-pass-and-nvidia-geforce-now-games
Not to forget, it does affect Game Mode as well. Samsung S95B's HGIG is still using Dynamic Tone Mapping. It results in people not knowing how many clicks it takes for the in-game HDR calibration to reach 1100 nits for example because the Dynamic Tone Mapping will constantly allow them to push further till around 4000 nits. This results in a lot of scenes having low Average Picture Level (APL) aka, darker midtones, in order to reserve those 4000 nit details. So there's a lot of guess-timation to calibrate for each game's HDR for every new game that has HDR.

However, in reality also, many are complaining that their peak highlights are blown out and clipped. Such as not being able to see the sun's shape in-game. When the tone mapping stopped working temporarily when someone updated his FW to 1302, he was so happy to see the details in the sky such as the clouds. But when he factory reset his unit to double confirm it wasn't a bug, DTM was re-engaged for Game Mode HGIG. And his clouds, sun and any specular highlights were clipped once again. I've been following the toxic forum thread there. What a mess of issues.

Also, a YTuber managed to check HGIG before and after the 1302 update and it seems to have an effect however so slightly.

This was how overly bright the mid tones in Game Mode HGIG was thanks to DTM's own custom tone mapping.
It has somewhat been changed too. So not just FMM and Movie Mode.

unknown.png

All I can say is, all these issues the S95B has, some of it would have easily been solved just by giving a Dynamic Tone Mapping toggle like on the LG. So purists can have their accurate tone mapping curve tracking the EOTF curve as the director intended. And those who likes bright punchy pictures can have their slice by enabling DTM and getting those bright pictures that they got initially prior to the 1302 FW update.

But what I most don't understand is why did they decrease the peak brightness overall. Like it used to reach nearly 1200 nits on a 10% window. Now, it is closer to 1000 nits and actually below that for both FMM and Movie Mode. You know the display is capable of it. It was even marketed as such. You could have easily tracked all the way up to those nits. Instead, you only track it to slightly below 1000 nits. Literally gimping the display to WRGB OLED territory.

Anyway, in terms of colours, the Color Management System (CMS) is atrocious. It is all over the place and blown out when selecting BT.2020 but yet, that is the proper colourspace. Changing to DCI-P3 is a lot more accurate but still wrong. And not to mention, you will lose the advantage of QD-OLED of being able to reach 90% of the BT2020 colourspace.
Someone on the forum managed to correct it after much work. But sadly, anyone who bought this TV who never went to that forum is going to face horrendously inaccurate colours.
And another caveat is that the CMS is exclusive to just FMM and Movie Mode. It is not the same and therefore, cannot be applied to other modes like Standard or Dynamic which still retains those high peak brightness.

What a mess of a situation to be in. Truly like as they describe it, being a paid beta tester.

PS. Someone did say SDR looks better now. In other words, Gamma might be tracking properly. So Gamma 2.4 should be closer to accurate. But it hasn't been tested yet. So take it with a pinch of salt. Else, Gamma on SDR is tracking lower causing raised shadow details.

Basically, every corner you turn on this TV, there are a lot of caveats. SDR has problems not to mention its massive lack of details making it worst than other TVs for low bitrate SDR content you might want to watch on Netflix or Apple TV. Game Mode has blown out highlights issue. HDR has colourspace issues with skintones looking overly plasticky and pink if no CMS adjustment is done.

Last edited:

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha..... well.... Samsung is Samsung..... their mobile phones when OLED panels were initially used, had inaccurate colours and took many years to get more accurate.

If people want more accurate colours, go for Sony where the colours are more accurate and the motion processing is better.

For gamers, it seems Samsung is the better TV for gaming capabilities.

yodajedi01

Reaction score
That's bc Sony is using LG OLED panels for Tv ...
How long has LG been doing OLED panels...

kseichan

Reaction score
Although with many issues highlighted in other forum due to colorspace, firmware etc, seems like S95B still looks fantastic for most “ordinary” TV owner. For those fews who are expert in TV calibration, they would be able to “calibrate” it anyway to their liking.
We might want to get the TV setting from the other forum and try it out if OOTB setting does not look good. In the end, we’ll still need to see it and test it with our own eyes in the store. Can’t wait to see it myself!

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Samsung S95B vs Sony A95K by Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest

Both TVs have their pros and cons

Get the Samsung for gaming
Get the Sony (with the Sony tax) for non-gaming content

Whizdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all,

For a 55inch tv Samsung
What can you recommend for gaming?
What is the difference between QLED/UHD and etc? Looking at 4k for ps5

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all,

For a 55inch tv Samsung
What can you recommend for gaming?
What is the difference between QLED/UHD and etc? Looking at 4k for ps5

For 4K PS5, i believe the following will suit your needs.
These 4K TVs are good for gaming.

55" QN95B 4K Neo QLED
55" S95B 4K QD-OLED <- this is the 1st generation of Quantum Dot OLED technology, the newest TV technology released this year for retail sales.

Based on reviews (YT, other forums, etc), you can't go wrong with these 2 TVs.

Currently, Samsung SG is having a promotion price for 55" QN95B ($3297 vs $3999).

As for the S95B, it's under pre-registration until 17 July 2022. Based on the US pricing of S95B (~USD 2000), local pricing should be thereabout. We will only know the retail price once the pre-registration period is over.

kseichan

Reaction score
QN95B on Lazada is at $2,389 now. Usually you can get similar price at retailers like Best, HN etc. Hopefully S95B launch price won’t be too high.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
S95B is not considered a flagship TV by Samsung, so, the 55' and 65' S95B price will be about similar to, or even slightly cheaper than, the 55' and 65' Neo QLED TV.

Hopefully.

Using the price range in the US market for S95B and QN95B, as reference.

TUV2008

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Samsung 55” used for 3 years now uplorry, call service center they said no more part to repair and need to buy a new one.

i give them a middle finger.

no more expensive TV for me. Just buy cheap cheap can liao.

RAKSL38

Reaction score
My Samsung 55” used for 3 years now uplorry, call service center they said no more part to repair and need to buy a new one.

i give them a middle finger.

no more expensive TV for me. Just buy cheap cheap can liao.

My Panasonic 55" also broke down last week after 4 years. Googled & found a reasonable repair company.
Tv backlight was spoilt; repairman also said no more parts for my tv but managed to repaired it at $150 in one day. Top left corner one spot a bit dark but still ok to watch overall.

PM me if u want the contact no. to repair your tv.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.