Samsung Galaxy S20: News and Discussions

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IOS notifications have improved a lot.

It is now how Android is doing. They now group their notifications, their notifications centre can also swipe to do other things. It can also clear all notifications now. In all i dont feel the notifications in iOS limited. Kudos for them to improve this far.

myhealthychoice

Reaction score
I heard Samsung is releasing an update to the phone soon to address the camera issue. Are you selling too early? How much loss incurred? I am trying to switch over to Android from iPhone 11 Pro Max. Wanted a higher resolution phone which I can see more on a screen. The screen on iPhone shows too little contents as compared to S20+. If you have not got a new phone, can consider go for iPhone, wait Sept for iPhone 12.

Sold off the ultra after 2 days lol. Not so concerned about the exynos or SD comparison but I take many photos of my 1 year old daughter so to me camera is the most important aspect.

But the ultra's processing of images is just ..... Human subjects turns out white or beige even with scene optimizer or whatever beauty mode that comes with it off. Even my Pixel 2XL is able to take better photos. Such a disappointment. :s22:

Guess that's the end of Samsung for me lol. Tried S10+ then Note10+ then now the ultra, breaking point has always been the camera and this year's iteration seems to be the worse of the lot for me.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 2 XL

Last edited:

Aikon

Reaction score
I heard Samsung is releasing an update to the phone soon to address the camera issue. Are you selling too early? How much loss incurred? I am trying to switch over to Android from iPhone 11 Pro Max. Wanted a higher resolution phone which I can see more on a screen. The screen on iPhone shows too little contents as compared to S20+. If you have not got a new phone, can consider go for iPhone, wait Sept for iPhone 12.

Don't forget iPhone 11 Pro has deep fusion, that kicked in certain scenarios. The 108mpx sensor also has quite a number of limitations, while also having some strengths.

The A73 vs S20 Ultra

Last edited:

altca4

Reaction score
IOS notifications have improved a lot.

It is now how Android is doing. They now group their notifications, their notifications centre can also swipe to do other things. It can also clear all notifications now. In all i dont feel the notifications in iOS limited. Kudos for them to improve this far.

The improvements for both platform are vice versa.

iOS used to be the epitome of stability. (Just comparing high end phones & not mid or low range since Apple are all high priced) Today it is still the more stable one but no longer the un-crash-able legend that it was. (My Mrs was on XS max & just upgraded to 11 pro max and I am using iPad Pro 11inch) On the other hand, I had rarely experienced much crashes on Android for past 2 years.

Android had always been in the front for battery tech (longevity & fast charge). Apple had caught up to an acceptable standard by now.

Apple support is still the leader compared to the various android brands. Some got better but
Some can be rather bad.

So on and so forth.

Philosophy wise, the following still stand:

Android is about customizing and tweaking. It’s a double edged sword. On some hands, you’ll see a monster machine or a fashion icon, on others, a wreck.

Apple, best out of box experience. Familiar and dependable. (Just wait a little to upgrade OS, it’s potentially disasterous) Holy grail for the cannot be bothered. If you walk on the street, 9 out of 10 Apple users are still using the same default notification tone.

Just know what you’re getting and what you’re into, manage our own expectations.

I know I’m getting exy instead of SD, I know it’s 128 instead of 512 at ultra’s price range.
I know the battery is going to burn at 120hz. I know that their camera processing for the new 108 sensor is still on early stage.
This is what this forum is for right, to give us users an informed choice.
Again, managed our own expectations. Buy if you can swallow & digest all that.

Last edited:

Keakes

Reaction score
Sold off the ultra after 2 days lol. Not so concerned about the exynos or SD comparison but I take many photos of my 1 year old daughter so to me camera is the most important aspect.

But the ultra's processing of images is just ..... Human subjects turns out white or beige even with scene optimizer or whatever beauty mode that comes with it off. Even my Pixel 2XL is able to take better photos. Such a disappointment. :s22:

Guess that's the end of Samsung for me lol. Tried S10+ then Note10+ then now the ultra, breaking point has always been the camera and this year's iteration seems to be the worse of the lot for me.

It's not just humans. It does the tragic "beauty processing" to animals too.

(Example 1, Example 2)

altca4

Reaction score

I got into photography for my kids too, used to be for the Ah boy who turned 7 yo last month and now for my 2yo+.
On the phone camera side, I started from the galaxy s2 era.
Was mind blown with lumia 1020, excellent excellent still shots (during that time) but freaking slow auto focus and 4-5sec of in between shots lag. There is no such thing as auto hdr then.
I was used to all that and always try to be 2-3 steps ahead of my kids/toddlers/pesky monkeys to get shots that I can keep. Mastering shutter speed and balancing iso helps a lot too. (So I can make do with ultra’s slow af for now)

I jumped from flagship phones to phones of various brands rather often (every 2-3 months)over the years. Over the past 2 years, just huawei, Oppo, Sammy & iOS (lg & Sony are just wtf on their camera software... and Viva xshot was pretty market leading during that time. And Reno 10 times is no match for p30p).

To be fair (ultra’s af now prior to their promised upgrade is unacceptable for the price range), their past few flagship’s dual pixel af are some of the better ones compared to huawei & iPhones so give Samsung some credits. Fast AF captures less blurry shots.

Of course, each brands have their own processing software style. Some better, some worse, there is no one winner takes all.
So among the flagships phone cameras, you will only see minor diffs. (I personally don’t like pixel’s overprocessing. They can be very unnatural if you compare them to shots from a proper lens and mirror less/dslr setup)

Having said that,
Ultra currently is bad on those shots with high brightness and strong shadow coming together especially on human face.
This one is definitely solvable by software upgrade/processing tweak, but question is how long will that take.

The potential of the 108 sensor is there for sure. The selfie camera of ultra will probably be market leading too once they solve the shadow algorithms

altca4

Reaction score
I got into photography for my kids too, used to be for the Ah boy who turned 7 yo last month and now for my 2yo+.
On the phone camera side, I started from the galaxy s2 era.
Was mind blown with lumia 1020, excellent excellent still shots (during that time) but freaking slow auto focus and 4-5sec of in between shots lag. There is no such thing as auto hdr then.
I was used to all that and always try to be 2-3 steps ahead of my kids/toddlers/pesky monkeys to get shots that I can keep. Mastering shutter speed and balancing iso helps a lot too. (So I can make do with ultra’s slow af for now)

I jumped from flagship phones to phones of various brands rather often (every 2-3 months)over the years. Over the past 2 years, just huawei, Oppo, Sammy & iOS (lg & Sony are just wtf on their camera software... and Viva xshot was pretty market leading during that time. And Reno 10 times is no match for p30p).

To be fair (ultra’s af now prior to their promised upgrade is unacceptable for the price range), their past few flagship’s dual pixel af are some of the better ones compared to huawei & iPhones so give Samsung some credits. Fast AF captures less blurry shots.

Of course, each brands have their own processing software style. Some better, some worse, there is no one winner takes all.
So among the flagships phone cameras, you will only see minor diffs. (I personally don’t like pixel’s overprocessing. They can be very unnatural if you compare them to shots from a proper lens and mirror less/dslr setup)

Having said that,
Ultra currently is bad on those shots with high brightness and strong shadow coming together especially on human face.
This one is definitely solvable by software upgrade/processing tweak, but question is how long will that take.

The potential of the 108 sensor is there for sure. The selfie camera of ultra will probably be market leading too once they solve the shadow algorithms

Just my 2 cents from a phone camera enthusiast (who is into capturing toddlers & kids with phone cameras & m43 cameras)

dappercivility

Master Member
Reaction score
Well said! I converted my work phone from android to ios last year as I cannot be bothered about my work phone. Easy one touch for most settings. Upgrading to new iphone just requires backing up old phone and do a restore on the new phone. Simple and no need to spend much effort.

For my personal however, I use an android for customisability to however I want and like. Most Modern smartphones run well and quite stable. Nowadays it is more of which design and color theme we prefer from smartphones.

The improvements for both platform are vice versa.

iOS used to be the epitome of stability. (Just comparing high end phones & not mid or low range since Apple are all high priced) Today it is still the more stable one but no longer the un-crash-able legend that it was. (My Mrs was on XS max & just upgraded to 11 pro max and I am using iPad Pro 11inch) On the other hand, I had rarely experienced much crashes on Android for past 2 years.

Android had always been in the front for battery tech (longevity & fast charge). Apple had caught up to an acceptable standard by now.

Apple support is still the leader compared to the various android brands. Some got better but
Some can be rather bad.

Message truncated........

snoopy5

Reaction score
Been following this thread quite a while. Really wanted to get S20U but Exynos experience was a nightmare to me when I used S10+ before. I knew that S20 series will still get crappy chips in sg but I really into OneUI. In a dilemma now whether to get SD 20U or Exy 20U, in fact I listed the pro and cons over SD and Exy for myself:

SD Pros
- better performance
- better battery life
Eyx pros
- warranty
- resale value better

SD cons
- more ex
- no warranty
- resale value sucks
Exy cons
- sucks in everywhere

But then again I have own a SD855 gaming phone so won't consider to do any gaming on the new phone, so as to say it's only normal usage and wanna to get good photos out from the phone. I do need a good battery life and I knew Exy sucks in this, but then a best solution to fix this is having a portable powerbank. I'm a frequent phone changer so does it really reasonable to get SD over Exynos?

KeYoKe

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been following this thread quite a while. Really wanted to get S20U but Exynos experience was a nightmare to me when I used S10+ before. I knew that S20 series will still get crappy chips in sg but I really into OneUI. In a dilemma now whether to get SD 20U or Exy 20U, in fact I listed the pro and cons over SD and Exy for myself:

SD Pros
- better performance
- better battery life
Eyx pros
- warranty
- resale value better

SD cons
- more ex
- no warranty
- resale value sucks
Exy cons
- sucks in everywhere

But then again I have own a SD855 gaming phone so won't consider to do any gaming on the new phone, so as to say it's only normal usage and wanna to get good photos out from the phone. I do need a good battery life and I knew Exy sucks in this, but then a best solution to fix this is having a portable powerbank. I'm a frequent phone changer so does it really reasonable to get SD over Exynos?

If frequent phone changer then no. U are better off local set bro

snoopy5

Reaction score
If frequent phone changer then no. U are better off local set bro

Honestly I try the demo set at the store, with or without setting to 120hz refresh rate, it's buttery smooth to operate the phone already. Certainly for normal usage Exy still do the job well. Maybe it's me or wat, S10+ experience still haunting me, LOL

Kanboliao

Reaction score
Sd865 with 120hz vs sd855 is alot of difference man... Especially for gaming...

SD Pros
- better performance
- better battery life
Eyx pros
- warranty
- resale value better

SD cons
- more ex
- no warranty
- resale value sucks
Exy cons
- sucks in everywhere

snoopy5

Reaction score
Sd865 with 120hz vs sd855 is alot of difference man... Especially for gaming...

I play PUBG M, but as I know that this game seems like capped at 90hz unless in future updated to 120hz then this high refresh rate doesn't really mean anything except of daily operation like browsing web and swipe here and there. In fact most of the mobile games does not support 120hz yet.

Glariel

Banned
Reaction score

Camera wise iPhone is always the best. Samsung camera so so only. Although the 108 mp in ultra also like useless :s22:

Keakes

Reaction score
Looks like the new second update Koreans got did not improve the autofocus in particular.

(It lists "camera improvements" in the patch notes, so who knows what it actually improved...)

"However, the autofocus problem still hasn't been improved as you see in the before and after video."

Last edited:

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honestly I try the demo set at the store, with or without setting to 120hz refresh rate, it's buttery smooth to operate the phone already. Certainly for normal usage Exy still do the job well. Maybe it's me or wat, S10+ experience still haunting me, LOL

It is the 240hz touch polling rate at work. Try typing on the on screen keyboard. Such a joy to use. Even faster than iPhone

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.