Seeking help from anybody using OpenWRT routers and Singtel TV

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm using xiaomi AX3600 router that's basically openWRT with a "pretty" UI slapped on it. Unfortunately this means I'm unable to configure VLANs on the GUI. Currently I'm planning to get Singtel TV for my parents to watch at home but I'm not sure how to configure the VLAN 20 profile on my router. Below is the config I added but I'm not 100% sure if it will work.

config.png

Therefore I'm asking for help for fellow OpenWRT and Singtel TV users, if you're able to access the router's "/etc/config/" folder and open the "network" file, could you screenshot the iptv part of the config so I can see how it's configured. Would really appreciate the help, thanks guys.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure your configuration file is not correct. However, it may not be easy to get OpenWRT to work with SIngtel TV for SIngtel ONT users as far as I know and I myself do not know how to do this in OpenWRT.

However, for Xiaomi AX3600, there is an easy solution.
1) If you have the global version, then it has the built-in Singtel VLAN profile to get Singtel Fibre Internet and Singtel TV to work.

2) If you have the China version, just flash the global version FW and then use the built-in Singtel VLAN profile.

You can then post the /etc/config/network file to help the others.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Past reference for OpenWRT Singtel TV Box VLAN settings for Singtel ONT users.
Very old successful story: https://klseet.com/networking/singtel/singtel-tl-wr1043v18-openwrt (you can try it but it may not work any more)
Not success story: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-set-vlan-priority/31859
Another reference: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/help-on-wrt32x-vlan-settings/14489/14

DIfficulties may be how to set up VLAN priority 4 for Singtel TV.
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/vlan-802-1-q-priority-and-ip-qos/85208/3
BTW, for those who have SIngtel ONR (no matter it is bridged or not), SIngtel TV box has to be connected to the Singtel ONR and not the OpenWRT router.

Last edited:

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I do have the global firmware but I'm not sure how to setup the singtel vlan profile. When I do the initial setup I see this screen:
post-28980-1609422870.jpg

There's only option for Custom and one other option which is Poland-Orange if I remember correctly, there weren't any Singtel profiles available. The custom allows me to input the internet VLAN 10 but there's no option to add additional vlan.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I do have the global firmware but I'm not sure how to setup the singtel vlan profile. When I do the initial setup I see this screen:
post-28980-1609422870.jpg

There's only option for Custom and one other option which is Poland-Orange if I remember correctly, there weren't any Singtel profiles available. The custom allows me to input the internet VLAN 10 but there's no option to add additional vlan.

You need to choose DHCP and not PPPoE. Then there should be a SingTel VLAN profile.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to choose DHCP and not PPPoE. Then there should be a SingTel VLAN profile.
Ah I did eventually pick DHCP but I might not have been paying attention to looking at the profiles again. I'll try again tmr morning when nobody at home is using the WiFI, thanks :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah I did eventually pick DHCP but I might not have been paying attention to looking at the profiles again. I'll try again tmr morning when nobody at home is using the WiFI, thanks :)

I believe it has the built-in Singtel VLAN profile.

Just in case the FW version does not have the built-in VLAN profile like the Xiaomi AX9000, then you can use the following settings.

Ref: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...ming-wi-fi-router-with-wifi-6.6489376/page-10

Internet: VLAN ID 10, priority 0
Singtel TV: VLAN ID 20, priority 4

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe it has the built-in Singtel VLAN profile.

Just in case the FW version does not have the built-in VLAN profile like the Xiaomi AX9000, then you can use the following settings.

Ref: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...ming-wi-fi-router-with-wifi-6.6489376/page-10

Internet: VLAN ID 10, priority 0
Singtel TV: VLAN ID 20, priority 4
Hi bro, I have tried reinstalling the global firmware. 3.0.22, this seems to be the latest version available for AX3600. Once installed I go to this page and select Singapore as my country and click 'Try it now'

Screenshot-10.png

After that I get to this page where I selected DHCP. But the options still only shows Poland-Orange or Custom.

Screenshot-12.png

Do you remember which firmware version it is that gives the Singtel profile?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, I have tried reinstalling the global firmware. 3.0.22, this seems to be the latest version available for AX3600. Once installed I go to this page and select Singapore as my country and click 'Try it now'
Screenshot-10.png

After that I get to this page where I selected DHCP. But the options still only shows Poland-Orange or Custom.
Screenshot-12.png

Do you remember which firmware version it is that gives the Singtel profile?

Please ask in the AX3600 thread. Sorry but I do not have the AX3600 myself. It was reported there that there is a SingTel VLAN profile for the global FW.

What if you select custom in this case?

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please ask in the AX3600 thread. Sorry but I do not have the AX3600 myself. It was reported there that there is a SingTel VLAN profile for the global FW.

What if you select custom in this case?
Hmm alright, I'm not holding out much hope though. Custom will allow me to input 1 vlan profile which I have to use for vlan 10 (internet). No option to add a second vlan.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm alright, I'm not holding out much hope though. Custom will allow me to input 1 vlan profile which I have to use for vlan 10 (internet). No option to add a second vlan.
Hopefully the owners of Xiaomi AX3600 using Global FW (no matter it is global version or China version) here will chime in and help to check as well.

But one more try from my side based on my experience from the Huawei AX3 global version, which has two places to set up VLAN, one for Internet, one for IPTV.

Set up the VLAN 10 internet first. Then search for the other place for IPTV settings, use VLAN ID 20 and then priority 4, for SingTel TV.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the owners of Xiaomi AX3600 using Global FW (no matter it is global version or China version) here will chime in and help to check as well.

But one more try from my side based on my experience from the Huawei AX3 global version, which has two places to set up VLAN, one for Internet, one for IPTV.

Set up the VLAN 10 internet first. Then search for the other place for IPTV settings, use VLAN ID 20 and then priority 4, for SingTel TV.
Managed to get Singtel to replace my ONT with an ONR for free (previously they quoted $100 to change). So right now the TV box is connected directly to my ONR and my router functions as an AP. Thanks for all your replies so far.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Managed to get Singtel to replace my ONT with an ONR for free (previously they quoted $100 to change). So right now the TV box is connected directly to my ONR and my router functions as an AP. Thanks for all your replies so far.

Yes that is another solution. If you are okay with the limitation of the Singtel ONR, this is a good solution.

If you later would like to bridge the Singtel ONR to use your own router as the main router (no VLAN configuration required), you can do that as well, without affecting Singtel TV, as the Singtel TV box will still be connected to the ONR.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes that is another solution. If you are okay with the limitation of the Singtel ONR, this is a good solution.

If you later would like to bridge the Singtel ONR to use your own router as the main router (no VLAN configuration required), you can do that as well, without affecting Singtel TV, as the Singtel TV box will still be connected to the ONR.
Oh you're right, I went in to the ONR GUI and found the option to bridge to my router instead.

ONR.png

Now I'm using the AX3600 back as my main router.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh you're right, I went in to the ONR GUI and found the option to bridge to my router instead.

ONR.png

Now I'm using the AX3600 back as my main router.

You may want to be a bit careful and go through the official channel to request Singtel to bridge the ONR.

The reason is that their backend may reset your configuration and then you may lose your internet connection in that case.

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You may want to be a bit careful and go through the official channel to request Singtel to bridge the ONR.

The reason is that their backend may reset your configuration and then you may lose your internet connection in that case.
A lady from Singtel gave me a call to check if everything was working on my end since I called in to inquire about the router and ONT replacement last week. I mentioned the bridging and said it's working fine now, asked if there's anything that should be done on their end. She told me it's fine and she'll be putting it in the case notes and closing the ticket. Should I need to call in again?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A lady from Singtel gave me a call to check if everything was working on my end since I called in to inquire about the router and ONT replacement last week. I mentioned the bridging and said it's working fine now, asked if there's anything that should be done on their end. She told me it's fine and she'll be putting it in the case notes and closing the ticket. Should I need to call in again?

I believe the lady has no idea about bridging. Please call again. Please take note that quite some Singtel customer service staff have no ideas about bridging.

The bridging needs to be done from Singtel side, not you. Then the backend configuration will match and you will not encounter issues later in general (you may still encounter issues if they accidently reset but the chances are low).

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe the lady has no idea about bridging. Please call again. Please take note that quite some Singtel customer service staff have no ideas about bridging.

The bridging needs to be done from Singtel side, not you. Then the backend configuration will match and you will not encounter issues later in general (you may still encounter issues if they accidently reset but the chances are low).
Ah got it, will call in to check again tmr. Thanks :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.