Set top box Line out L/R to PC speakers possible?

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
my set top box looks like this ( below)> can i send video to the TV and line out to PC speakers? Will Internet TV also output sound to the PC speakers?

Or is it better to buy a HDMI audio extractor?

uUFPpLggKKDGdEDV1PwMYyhj.png

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well yea why not.

But why not connect the speakers to the TV instead? That way you can also use TV to control the volume, switch source etc.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Well yea why not.

But why not connect the speakers to the TV instead? That way you can also use TV to control the volume, switch source etc.
My tv does not have the line output or RCA jacks

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
What box is this? The audio signal out from the box should go into an amplifier unit. What PC speakers you using?

iduncheckmail

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS shld try connect hdmi to tv then hdmi arc to soundbar. Soundbars not exp these days . Plus easy to volume control and on/off w tv remote .

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my set top box looks like this ( below)> can i send video to the TV and line out to PC speakers? Will Internet TV also output sound to the PC speakers?

Or is it better to buy a HDMI audio extractor?

uUFPpLggKKDGdEDV1PwMYyhj.png

If ur PC speakers has optical inputs then use that

else if RCA Left / Right inputs then use that

Personally I would not trouble myself with HDMI extractors.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
If ur PC speakers has optical inputs then use that

else if R CA Left / Right inputs then use that

Personally I would not trouble myself with HDMI extractors.
Yes but if i like to use a particular PC speaker that i like

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
Also, I have to add. Even if u are successful in output your TV box sound to your PC speaker, the audio from your Internet TV cannot be played by your PC speaker unless you connect your PC speaker directly to the TV.

The solution for u would be getting a sound bar with ARC. That way, u can connect all audio output (TV box and native TV audio) to the sound bar.

If u are bent on your pc speaker then u need an avr or sort, depending if your PC speakers are powered.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
In this case, we need to know if you are using Active PC speakers meaning they have their own power or are they passive meaning they have no extra wires other than just the speaker wires.

If they are active, something like the Logitech Z906 which needs its own power from the wall, then yes, RCA, 3.5mm, it is all fine. It is just a medium to transfer the binary bits across the cable which is converted into analog signal in 'steps'. Then once it reaches your powered PC speakers, it is then reconverted to 1s and 0s. So there should theoretically be no signal degradation at all.

As for passive speakers, of cos the RCA method will not work. You need an amplifier to give the speakers enough juice to play the audio.

That is why we need more info on what kind of speakers that you are using in other to give the best routing of audio from the set-top box to your PC speakers.

PS. The reason why I opt that you go the RCA route is because there's not much gain in using a HDMI extractor when you are just only going to play the audio in Stereo. So RCA or even optical SPDIF cable will be sufficient for your usage.

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been connected the starhub setbox to my speaker input RCA.

As long as it is a powered speaker, it will work.

The sound output is definitely better than the sound from the TV.

However, the sound volume for the powered speaker can only be controlled by the setup box volume control and you need to put the setup box to standby mode if you don't want to watch the TV.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.