Setup Question

kappanaut123

Reaction score
Not sure where to post my question - hence creating a new thread.

Seeking advice from the gurus here - would be upgrading to StarHub 1gbps, which comes with a free Nokia Beacon. Intending to replace the Beacon with below setup - would it work?

ONT -> TP Link Archer AX10 (S$79 on Shopee) as main router in DB box, with wifi turned off -> Patch Panel #1,#2,#3 so on.
PCs in the bedrooms will be connected via LAN via the ports in each of the rooms

For WiFi
Patch Panel #1 (Living Room) -> Huawei AX3 Pro (S$129 on Shopee) as main AP
Patch Panel #2 (Master Bed Room) -> Huawei AX3 (S$89 on Shopee) as AP

Idea is to have both Huawei connect to the AX10.

Question
- Is it possible for the two Hua Weis to form a mesh setup? Or would they just be individual APs?
- Any better recommendations for routers and APs? Trying to keep to a budget of SGD$300.

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see two potential issues.
1) The AX3 Pro is China version whereas the S$89 AX3 should be AX3 Global version (AX3 Quad Core). I remember reading somewhere they can not form a mesh. You may need to use the same AX3 Pro China version, or the same AX3 Global version, or the AX3 Pro plus the cheaper AX3 China version (dual core) to form a mesh.
2) Your set up may or may not be supported based on the connection diagram below. It seems to me you have to have Ethernet connection between the main node and the mesh node if you need to use Ethernet backhaul. You may want to confirm with Huawei. I tend to believe it will work but I have not tested this configuration myself.

xiaofan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Easier way is to get Asus AX55 x 3 units, one put in the DB Box and the other two in the living rooms and the master bedrooms. You can form AIMesh. You may get AX55 at around S$100 or a bit more from Carousell (sold by M1 customers).

irbadboyz

Reaction score
Not sure where to post my question - hence creating a new thread.

Seeking advice from the gurus here - would be upgrading to StarHub 1gbps, which comes with a free Nokia Beacon. Intending to replace the Beacon with below setup - would it work?

ONT -> TP Link Archer AX10 (S$79 on Shopee) as main router in DB box, with wifi turned off -> Patch Panel #1,#2,#3 so on.
PCs in the bedrooms will be connected via LAN via the ports in each of the rooms

For WiFi
Patch Panel #1 (Living Room) -> Huawei AX3 Pro (S$129 on Shopee) as main AP
Patch Panel #2 (Master Bed Room) -> Huawei AX3 (S$89 on Shopee) as AP

Idea is to have both Huawei connect to the AX10.

Question
- Is it possible for the two Hua Weis to form a mesh setup? Or would they just be individual APs?
- Any better recommendations for routers and APs? Trying to keep to a budget of SGD$300.

tik tok trending

Have you bought all of these routers? If you have, mixing the Huawei's and making them mesh, sounds like a complicated solution to your problem. Mesh requires a main node. Unless you are setting up the Huawei's as APs. They will not function as mesh however.

If you have not purchased anything yet, it is probably better to go with ASUS, since most of their routers have the AiMESH function.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why not buy all huawei? either global or china version for all 3.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.