Short term rental needed for renovation

happygenius

Master Member
Reaction score
Well I have sold my property:love::oops::p

What options are there for a small family if I need a short term rental while my new property is undergoing renovation? All the condo rent listings generally look at lease of at least one year.

䏣炆玧示老太

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What options are there for a small family if I need a short term rental while my new property is undergoing renovation? All the condo rent listings generally look at lease of at least one year.
go to look for service apartment (hotel-like thing) for rental lor

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is possible to find places willing to do 3 or 6-month rentals. Try those rental listings that are recently vacated, but seem to have trouble finding new tenants (listed / vacant for a while).

My current home was also on such short-term lease before I completed the transaction.

䏣炆玧示老太

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is possible to find places willing to do 3 or 6-month rentals. Try those rental listings that are recently vacated, but seem to have trouble finding new tenants (listed / vacant for a while).

My current home was also on such short-term lease before I completed the transaction.
short term quite hard
unless have those cut short on 2/3/4yrs lease leave the final months for you to temp take over

Hippocrates

Reaction score
I think you can negotiate to pay the agent fee for a one year contract, with a clause of early termination after 3 months. In that case, the landlord will not be losing money and you won't lose your deposit.

happygenius

Master Member
Reaction score

I guess that’s an idea. But if the unit can’t find tenants, the location is probably bad. Sigh.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess that’s an idea. But if the unit can’t find tenants, the location is probably bad. Sigh.
Can't be too choosy for something like this la. My home's previous owners had tenants staying for 3 months during the completion period, who were a local family of 3 in a similar situation to you. They moved out shortly before the unit was handed over to us. My location is quite alright IMO, 3-4 minutes' walk from doorstep to MRT gantry. :s13:

The alternative is to stay at a serviced apartment, with the furniture put at a temporary storage facility.

happygenius

Master Member
Reaction score
Can't be too choosy for something like this la. My home's previous owners had tenants staying for 3 months during the completion period, who were a local family of 3 in a similar situation to you. They moved out shortly before the unit was handed over to us. My location is quite alright IMO, 3-4 minutes' walk from doorstep to MRT gantry. :s13:

The alternative is to stay at a serviced apartment, with the furniture put at a temporary storage facility.
Do u know how the family found the listing ? On the public pages of propertyguru? Or one of the underground ways?

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you can negotiate to pay the agent fee for a one year contract, with a clause of early termination after 3 months. In that case, the landlord will not be losing money and you won't lose your deposit.
Don't sabo the landlord

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do u know how the family found the listing ? On the public pages of propertyguru? Or one of the underground ways?
They contacted the seller's agent directly. The unit was listed on PropertyGuru.

There are underground ones I know of, but not sure what the 'terms' are like.

Squeezer

Reaction score
I did this when I was renovating my place and rented one in a `ulu' place for 3 months. Not by choice though but those hotter places will not entertain short term.

I also offered the agent his commission due if it was for a year to be fair as paperwork is the same whether is 3 or 6 or 12 months.

Hope this helps.

iCubes

Master Member
Reaction score
I think properties in Geylang offer short term lease. Most of the questionable tenants there rent by the week one.

mskate88

Reaction score
Renovating my flat next year. Any recommendation for short lease ?
Thank you
Try contact budget hotels directly and ask for 30-days local package. For 2 adults + 2 toddlers to be in 1 room, I was quoted 1.9K for The Quay and 1.3-1.8K for hotel 81 (price depends on locations).

If you want service apartment type, the cheapest I could find was around 3.4-4K/month.

I tried contacting various rental agents and all owners decline short term rentals, min 1-2 years.

Fmgglee

Reaction score
Try contact budget hotels directly and ask for 30-days local package. For 2 adults + 2 toddlers to be in 1 room, I was quoted 1.9K for The Quay and 1.3-1.8K for hotel 81 (price depends on locations).

If you want service apartment type, the cheapest I could find was around 3.4-4K/month.

I tried contacting various rental agents and all owners decline short term rentals, min 1-2 years.
Thank you

Windowlover

Reaction score
Where to find short term 3 months stay for renovation ? Headache.. any ideas for family of 4 pax somemore.

keithster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

3 months dun look at propertyguru... hard to find & even if u can find one, the agent will try to squeeze money out from u cos they know u special case. suggest u head out to carousell listings, look for owner listings & negotiate directly. some owners quite chin chai.

if 6 months, then could be easier.

short term stay be prepared to pay for additional 20% to 30% more than market rate.

personally i tried 3 months short term stay before. very bad experience.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.