Showcase your home theater setup thread

Tatsukura

Reaction score
Glad to see there is still quite a number of people still rocking discrete speakers for their surround setups. I hate the soundbar era whereby most casuals just get sucked into it due to the marketing. Man I dun hear any surround effects with soundbars at all. Fake atmos or 5.1/7.1.

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Setup this system 3 months ago with advice from folks here. Quite happy with it, but I need a rug (have been putting off buying it)
AM-JKLVSImyEEsJFhvr1H1Ycyv72g8dBz13j_rlWed6qRL7nwOdOVEC9zwR_z3ZvUUGXGVeCwT76Y6h7ZWe3_RQgoQlXAGYiZ663p7eWgY6OMmXuuFOGxBtkjdl0MIPC68Dhh1DZBWrb4dDGHZCxEFXkVwq9Yg=w1684-h1263-no
Sorry to dig but I see that you have a cut-out hole below the wall/cabinet that looks like it was originally planned for a subwoofer.

What happened in the end? I'm currently planning to do the same for my yet-to-be-built feature wall (subwoofer in cabinet).

Also I see that there's a room behind the tv wall. How's the sound travel into the room behind?

galapogos

Reaction score
Sorry to dig but I see that you have a cut-out hole below the wall/cabinet that looks like it was originally planned for a subwoofer.

What happened in the end? I'm currently planning to do the same for my yet-to-be-built feature wall (subwoofer in cabinet).

Also I see that there's a room behind the tv wall. How's the sound travel into the room behind?
The cut out cabinet you see that's below the left speakers is for my receiver. I posted a picture of it in the same post. The cut outs are for ventilation, and for the remote control IR to be able to reach the receiver. The sub is actually to the right of the sofa (also pictured) and it's not enclosed. Actually, you can see another taller cabinet on top of it, but without cut outs. That's for storage. Both cabinets eat into the built-in wardrobe space in the room. There's no issue with sound travelling into that room since usually we just play background music, or when it's movie night, the whole family is watching and nobody is in that room.

I don't think it's advisable for subwoofers, or any speakers, to be placed in cabinets.

joshua182

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Glad to see there is still quite a number of people still rocking discrete speakers for their surround setups. I hate the soundbar era whereby most casuals just get sucked into it due to the marketing. Man I dun hear any surround effects with soundbars at all. Fake atmos or 5.1/7.1.
man i've tried everything from weird ass mangepans to monitor audio, kef, emotiva, elac, dali, and many many more etc etc.
in the end it's all come down to devialet phantoms + sonos systems.
so that everyone else can use, not just myself (too many things to switch on for discrete systems)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.