Singapore Airlines responds after man disappointed by in-flight meal: 'I thought I was flying budget'

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
hes correct. cookhouse food probably bigger in portion.

having said that, with this quality of food for economy, i rather fly budget and skip the meals.

hes lucky they never serve economic noodles/rice packaged as "Singapore cuisine" aka edmw's fav cai png.
Got serve leh. Breakfast now serve chicken bee hoon lol. I think total price of meal for my long haul flight less than $15

SMLJMIW

Suspended
Reaction score
standards gone down the drain these past few years

all the billions of taxpayer rescue dollars channeled to funding GCBs and ferraris for shareholders
This. Like the GFC. Bailout the moneyed chaps using taxes contributed by the masses.

bochup84

Master Member
Reaction score
Cathay is way better. From what i observe, they really give special attention to those canto speaking hongkies.

SQ, once you speak singlish, jitao is give you black face.
For regional flights, cathay de tv is also larger screen. The only thing I don’t like about taking cathay is sometimes if your flight got many PRCs, can be jin noisy. If Qantas then is aussies jin noisy also. Quietest flight I was on is Swiss air when I was the only Asian onboard. Jin peaceful.

in terms of flight treatment, I am jin Heng so far. Flight attendants all nice to me, incl British airways (I heard horror stories). Lol.

virtualape

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I’m not wrong hor, if u add check in luggage to budget base fare, sometimes is gng to be about the same or more expensive than sq, in which case still take sq safer lar.

fly to Thailand is enjoy their street food anyway, no need care flight meal nice or not lar
not sure as i fly budget for personal trips within the region usually with hand carry.

yeah, if the check in luggage cost + budget fare = full service flight, might as well go full service.

Cokacola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup the guy is right, whay "roll out local cuisines" is BS nasi lemak char kuay teow all the cheap sai

virtualape

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got serve leh. Breakfast now serve chicken bee hoon lol. I think total price of meal for my long haul flight less than $15
ermm..ok. :ROFLMAO: cant believe they are going that path...whats next? cai png with 1 meat and 2 veggie?

Jack_Chen

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
last time economy got chicken chop, coke and hagen daz leh......now so budget liao lol

last time is when, last century? pre-covid? pre-inflation? when Ah gong is still the PM?

Why not say last time police wear shorts

kyokoto

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Singapore Airlines responds after man disappointed by in-flight meal: 'I thought I was flying budget'​

National carrier Singapore Airlines (SIA) has responded to feedback about its in-flight menu after a man complained about the food he was served onboard.
Facebook user Anderson Soh had expressed his disappointment over the meal he was served on an SIA flight from Singapore to Bangkok on April 30 and shared photos.
He said in his post on Monday (May 2): "Do you believe this food is served (on an) SQ flight... omg damn disgusting food... I thought I was flying with budget airlines, I think budget airlines Nasi Lemak even taste better. It was a big difference compared to pre-covid... Very disappointed with SQ...."
sq1_copy.png

Soh also wrote in the comments that 'even army food tasted better'.
When contacted by Stomp, Soh said: "I was given only a miserable portion of pasta for the main course, which tasted horrible, and a mini tub of Udders ice cream.
"We were only offered two choices for the main course. Either pasta or Thai vermicelli with something which I can't recall. There were no other choices for the ice cream.
"There was also no more fruit, bun, cake or dessert."
Soh told Stomp that he subsequently provided feedback to SIA through a survey that was sent to his email.
He later shared how he had asked for laksa on his return flight to Singapore, which was a marked improvement and "tasted delicious".
sq2_copy.png

In response to a Stomp query, an SIA spokesman said the airline rolled out its new regional economy class meal concept for short-haul flights around 18 months ago on Dec 1, 2020.
The spokesman added: "This comes with a main dish and a dessert, and provides our customers with a greater variety of local Singaporean and international favourites using sustainable tableware.
"SIA did not compromise on the amount and quality of the food in the new meal concept. We have swapped the traditional casserole for a paper box that holds the same quantity of food but is much deeper.
"That way, our chefs have been able to introduce a greater variety of dishes to the menu including a wide range of Singaporean favourites such as congee, laksa, and gravy-rich mee siam that were previously not available in Economy Class."
Customers can learn more about the meals offered on their flights on SIA's website here.
"The new regional economy class meal concept also supports our sustainability journey," explained the spokesman.
"The paper used in the main course box and cup are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified, and bamboo cutleries are also provided to significantly reduce the amount of single-use plastics. The paperware also weighs 50% less than before, lowering fuel consumption and carbon emissions.
"All of the waste is also brought back to Singapore and fed into an eco-digester, where it is converted into alternative fuel pellets."
SIA customers can learn more about the wider range of meals and sustainability benefits here.
The spokesman said: "We thank our customers for their feedback, and we would like to reassure them that we remain committed to providing an enhanced experience when they travel with SIA."

Think SQ covid period no one on flight for 2 years....most ingredients rotten throw away liao

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/sing...xpresses-disgust-for-in-flight-meal-i-thought

Last week I went to buy durian and was not pleased by the quality, I went to the stall and guess what..

Complainant: The Mao Shang Wang durian I bought from your stall tastes horrible, its too wet, the meat is too little and I think its not fresh at all.

Stall owner: Our Mao Shang Wangs are from the famous district of Pahang, the nets we use to catch the falling durian are environmentally friendly, made from sustainable wood and are weather proof. On top of that, the water we used to water the tree is from the famous spring of taman negara... to add on the lorry we used to transport these durian from Pahang to Spore are Mercedes and not your usual made in Asia vehicles, each and every one of our lorries have enhanced suspension and big brake kits.

Last edited:

ZionxXx

Banned
Reaction score
last time is when, last century? pre-covid? pre-inflation? when Ah gong is still the PM?

Why not say last time police wear shorts
Before covid, if you sit SQ economy will know....not police wear what short.....if scoot or tiger airline economy i dunno i only sit SQ....SQ normally u morning flight got breakfast or 5 hours flight will have lunch as well.....no need to pay additional for food as economy already 2.8k to korea and back

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes. now really CMI liao.....

Last time got main course, salad, bun(which i love and look forward to), fruits, ice cream and crackers with cheese. Now left main course and ice cream.....

Drinks wise the singapore sling(always like it) and spirit also gone.
The menu and hot towel also gone.....maybe because of covid?

liplai2021

Banned
Reaction score

Singapore Airlines responds after man disappointed by in-flight meal: 'I thought I was flying budget'​

National carrier Singapore Airlines (SIA) has responded to feedback about its in-flight menu after a man complained about the food he was served onboard.
Facebook user Anderson Soh had expressed his disappointment over the meal he was served on an SIA flight from Singapore to Bangkok on April 30 and shared photos.
He said in his post on Monday (May 2): "Do you believe this food is served (on an) SQ flight... omg damn disgusting food... I thought I was flying with budget airlines, I think budget airlines Nasi Lemak even taste better. It was a big difference compared to pre-covid... Very disappointed with SQ...."
sq1_copy.png

Soh also wrote in the comments that 'even army food tasted better'.
When contacted by Stomp, Soh said: "I was given only a miserable portion of pasta for the main course, which tasted horrible, and a mini tub of Udders ice cream.
"We were only offered two choices for the main course. Either pasta or Thai vermicelli with something which I can't recall. There were no other choices for the ice cream.
"There was also no more fruit, bun, cake or dessert."
Soh told Stomp that he subsequently provided feedback to SIA through a survey that was sent to his email.
He later shared how he had asked for laksa on his return flight to Singapore, which was a marked improvement and "tasted delicious".
sq2_copy.png

In response to a Stomp query, an SIA spokesman said the airline rolled out its new regional economy class meal concept for short-haul flights around 18 months ago on Dec 1, 2020.
The spokesman added: "This comes with a main dish and a dessert, and provides our customers with a greater variety of local Singaporean and international favourites using sustainable tableware.
"SIA did not compromise on the amount and quality of the food in the new meal concept. We have swapped the traditional casserole for a paper box that holds the same quantity of food but is much deeper.
"That way, our chefs have been able to introduce a greater variety of dishes to the menu including a wide range of Singaporean favourites such as congee, laksa, and gravy-rich mee siam that were previously not available in Economy Class."
Customers can learn more about the meals offered on their flights on SIA's website here.
"The new regional economy class meal concept also supports our sustainability journey," explained the spokesman.
"The paper used in the main course box and cup are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified, and bamboo cutleries are also provided to significantly reduce the amount of single-use plastics. The paperware also weighs 50% less than before, lowering fuel consumption and carbon emissions.
"All of the waste is also brought back to Singapore and fed into an eco-digester, where it is converted into alternative fuel pellets."
SIA customers can learn more about the wider range of meals and sustainability benefits here.
The spokesman said: "We thank our customers for their feedback, and we would like to reassure them that we remain committed to providing an enhanced experience when they travel with SIA."

Think SQ covid period no one on flight for 2 years....most ingredients rotten throw away liao

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/sing...xpresses-disgust-for-in-flight-meal-i-thought
Wanted to stop reading at economy class but after double checking the pics, really leh, really cmi.

Geylang Prawn Seller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got 2 obvious camps

diehard sq fanboys

and people who think that premium prices means customer should expect premium service

probably coz the sq fanboys bought a lot of sq stock so they will defend sq to the death

kinderbuenojhj

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SIA hv learnt well from their pappy big "backer" , nvr focus much on the "real issue" but go one big round talk abt all the irrelevant stuffs ..

in Bolehland, they consperm will kanna "ape ranjiao" comments from the netizens there ..

:vijayadmin:

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
people complain food not nice, they reply about green initiatives... :rolleyes:
btw, the penne really looked CMI.
i don't think the person was trolling. he did acknowledge the laksa was good and recommended it.
He wanted to act atas and asked for pasta/western, blame who. Go for laska or nasi lemak lah, like on his return leg.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.