Singapore CA Qualification Foundation (formerly SQP Enhanced Foundation)

xoxohm

Reaction score
I guess my opinion might be a little bias since I'm taking SCA myself, but here goes:

ACCA is a globally recognized professional qualification, has been around for much longer, and is generally easier to prepare for due to the large amount of resources available. Pretty much everyone in this industry worldwide would have heard of it and can attest to its credentials.

SCA (formerly known as SQP) is still fairly new (since 2013), is a local accounting qualification, known to be really tough, and is not as well-known internationally, but is a directly pathway to CA SG. It also offers you mutual reciprocal membership with ICAEW and ICAS. It might be a bit more troublesome since you need to work with an ATO - but just about every accounting firm in Singapore you can think of is already an ATO.

I would recommend SCA if you plan on staying in Singapore, and ACCA if you have plans to venture abroad.

Can I ask you how long does it take to finish SCA/SQP?

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend singapore CA at all unless something is done by SAC/ISCA to get more mutual recognition and more partnership with worldwide bodies

Do not recommend singapore CA if you have the option to choose other foreign accounting qualifications from the US/UK or even ANZ.

It's like creating CFA (Singapore).

VitmainC

Reaction score
Its just a matter of time to hv more MRA be inclusive. Usually Singapore local uni actg grad would naturally opt for CA sg or ACCA. Thats the most direct route. If u are good or kiasu, get both. Nvr assume other 1st world country CA program is anything easier than local CA. The effort n time is equally demanding.

KeroMax

Reaction score
If you are an accountancy graduate, what is the purpose of taking these professional papers (Be it ACCA, SQP, ICAEW)? (Aside from refreshing your knowledge and education-purposes.)

To gain admission to the professional bodies, or are the papers themselves a further, master-equivalent qualification?

If the former, is there any value-add more than a "feel-good" factor of being able to refer to yourself as a member of above-mentioned bodies?

If the latter, do these papers value add substantially to your employability? Do they lead to a pay-raise? I question this as I see my peers and seniors having no trouble getting into banks, Big4, statutory boards with just a good honours degree. And those who completed the papers don't seem to gain anything. (Or perhaps this a long-term investment where the benefits will only be reaped years later?)

Even as some of you mention mutual recognition and global alliance, for the typical Singaporean who isn't intending to work abroad, does it make a difference?

Fearah

Reaction score
If you are an accountancy graduate, what is the purpose of taking these professional papers (Be it ACCA, SQP, ICAEW)? (Aside from refreshing your knowledge and education-purposes.)

To gain admission to the professional bodies, or are the papers themselves a further, master-equivalent qualification?

If the former, is there any value-add more than a "feel-good" factor of being able to refer to yourself as a member of above-mentioned bodies?

If the latter, do these papers value add substantially to your employability? Do they lead to a pay-raise? I question this as I see my peers and seniors having no trouble getting into banks, Big4, statutory boards with just a good honours degree. And those who completed the papers don't seem to gain anything. (Or perhaps this a long-term investment where the benefits will only be reaped years later?)

Even as some of you mention mutual recognition and global alliance, for the typical Singaporean who isn't intending to work abroad, does it make a difference?

I believe there is a reason why the Big 4s are sponsoring their newly joined associates from the local university, especially ICAEW and SQP. Further, I heard from ISCA that these programmes will soon be integrated in the degree programme in the near future

Personally, i feel that it will be useful to climb the corporte ladder and when you are deployed for an overseas audit. One still needs a professional accredidation as degrees may not be sufficient.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At certain stage of accounting related career, you will needs a professional qualifications like CA, CPA & etc to compete jobs with other job candidates.

If you have the right network, you can open a consultancy firm to provide public accountancy services with your CA (sg) or join your friend' firm when you are unemployed.

However I feel that there is a limitation for career in Big4 where you cannot sign off for public accountancy services like audit and reporting on financial statements since you do not have CA (Sg).

Today, we have tons of foreigners, fresh graduates (in years to come to become experienced professionals), unemployed professionals eyeing for that 1 job. If you are not lucky to get banks, statutory boards or even MNCs, at least can try SMEs.

But some SMEs are public listed company & they expect their HOD (accounting and financial) has CA (Sg) to double up as company secretary.

So what is your selling point to hire you when everyone have years of experience?

Discrimination like age factors are there to stay. When you are older, it is harder to get a job at 'entry or executive' level cause company can always hire someone younger, faster & cheaper. That why if you cannot compete with managerial position, you are out of the 'race'.

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone managed to get into an ATO?

I've finished all my foundation papers but can't seem to find an ATO that will take me in/got vacancy..

How did it go for u?

The CA foundation is 6 modules. After 6 modules, u need to find an ATO (Accredited Training Organization) before can do the Professional program of 5 modules. The foundation cert is valid for 5 years. I called and check earlier.

How useful is the CA foundation cert to get an ATO if u do not have previous accounting experience or degree?

Last edited:

iMasker

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone managed to get into an ATO?

I've finished all my foundation papers but can't seem to find an ATO that will take me in/got vacancy..
Hi, I intend to self study for the Singapore CA foundation Course. Is it advisable? May I know does SAC provide any official study materials? Otherwise, what are the recommended study materials?

Decade.

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I intend to self study for the Singapore CA foundation Course. Is it advisable? May I know does SAC provide any official study materials? Otherwise, what are the recommended study materials?
how confident are u that you are able to find an ATO?

study456

Reaction score
Hi any UOL Students can help me with this?

Initially I was planning to take the exam in December.

However an email from UOL mentioned that the transcripts can only be collected around December.

So I can only register for the foundation program in December? Then that means I can only take foundation exams next June?

If any UOL students who started this program can help clarify on what transcripts you used and when you did your exams, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

dodoro

Reaction score
Hi myename,

I'm from engineering degree so I have no background in accounting.

I took lessons at Kaplan. They provide a study text with problems and worked solutions. Depending on the lecturer's style, he/she may also give out worksheets. Lecturer will also go through a mock-paper from SAC or past paper (if any). Now it is $650/module for 10 lessons. SAA-GE is another alternative, more lessons but more expensive.

TBH I think I would have failed all if I self-study. I wouldn't have had any materials. Even with the materials, it wasn't something I could comprehend by myself, I needed the lecturer's explanation and emphasis on which areas to focus on because the text is so thick and so technical/dry.

For exam it rly depends. For Tax, I tried past ACCA papers which really helped. For Principles of Fin Reporting, I did the worksheets given by the lecturer. For Assurance, I banked on the mock paper which was disastrous.

But since you have Acct deg from UOL, I think u have quite a good advantage?

Hi, do you still have the materials? I am intending to take PFF, AFF & FMF this Dec.

randomnonsense

Reaction score
Hi guys, I graduated in 2017 and managed to get some exemptions for 3 papers (PFF, ADF & Fmf) but I’m not sure if I should take up the exemptions or take them as a refresher since I haven’t been studying for the past year. Thanks!

Decade.

Master Member
Reaction score
Has it been a decade?

try mid tier audit firm?

Sent from moi brain using GAGT

:s13:

if its a decade I can change industry liao.

mid tier I just applied yesterday but nobody called me.

Is it their intake closed or what?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.