Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

stamina

Reaction score
The SCV wall cable still has analog channels. Your TV also can tune to analog channels. So it's probable that u are tuning to analog channels.
okay and since i have bought this new tv which has in built dvb t2 tuner, how do i then take advantage of the t2 channels?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
okay and since i have bought this new tv which has in built dvb t2 tuner, how do i then take advantage of the t2 channels?

Connect to the rooftop antenna, or buy an indoor antenna, or build a DIY antenna.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Connect to the rooftop antenna, or buy an indoor antenna, or build a DIY antenna.

Just curious. Currently if using an indoor antenna for DVB-T2, is it guaranteed to produce crystal clear images? Or still a largely hit-and-miss affair depending on location, antenna orientation, antenna quality, and some other factors?

I still remember bad old days of analog indoor antennas giving fuzzy and grainy images. :( For digital signal, I believe it's is either we get a perfect image on the screen or nothing at all?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Currently if using an indoor antenna for DVB-T2, is it guaranteed to produce crystal clear images? Or still a largely hit-and-miss affair depending on location, antenna orientation, antenna quality, and some other factors?

I still remember bad old days of analog indoor antennas giving fuzzy and grainy images. :( For digital signal, I believe it's is either we get a perfect image on the screen or nothing at all?

Not guaranteed. It depends on your location, antenna orientation.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Realized the freaking wall socket rooftop antenna point was the problem. When i tap it onto a fan metal grill, was able to pick up some digital signals although there seemed to be a mix bag of both scv digital and mediacorp sd channels. Have yet to widen the tuning scope. I might just get an indoor antenna. Maybe a none powered one if such exists.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
This is the reply from MediaCorp when I enquired on the channels to be used for the new dvb-t2 transmission, to prepare our condo's matv for the new format:

All our 7 MediaCorp’s channel will be available on 3 frequencies during the Digital Switch On. The three frequencies are Ch27 (518 to 526MHz), Ch29 (534 to 542MHz) and Ch31 (550 to 558MHz).
Now I see a sudden burst of interest in the new transmission format.

For those using hdb wall outlets, and private properties (landed or older condos) with own antennae, if your tv sets can receive on analogue

U (chan28)
Octo (chan 30)
CNA (chan 32)

there is a high probability that you can receive the new T2 channels if your tv sets are T2 ready.

However, for some hdb blocks, these stated channels may have been changed to another channels (just like scv channels) because of technical limitation - if this is the case then there may be no reception.

The matv in my condo caters to the 3 channels stated above plus tv3 (chan 26). I could received T test transmission on chan 29 previously. I am confident that my condo can receive all the new 3 channels (yet to be verified).

stamina

Reaction score
Anyone try roof top antena can receive digital signal with T2 TV tuner ? :s22:
i just tried on the rooftop antenna. Yes. It works at my mums old flat. Can see the HD already. Also detected others like starworld, geographic, etc.. but blank! what happen for those new flats like mine without rooftop antenna but with just scv wall cables?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
i just tried on the rooftop antenna. Yes. It works at my mums old flat. Can see the HD already. Also detected others like starworld, geographic, etc.. but blank! what happen for those new flats like mine without rooftop antenna but with just scv wall cables?
Haha, old is good, new is bad.

stamina

Reaction score
Haha, old is good, new is bad.
Thats what i just dont understand.In general,all flats, new and old,have scv cable wall sockets readily installed in living room,and the new flats, in bedrooms as well. Why cant MDA then just turn the scv wall cable channels to HD? Isnt that better so that theres no need for new flat owners(with no rooftop antennas) to buy additional antenna to receive DVB T2?

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
... When i tap it onto a fan metal grill... I might just get an indoor antenna. Maybe a none powered one if such exists.
Avoid using the fan metal grille, or for that matter, any electrical parts of electrical appliances. If the appliance turns faulty, the metal part may become live.

And yes, indoor antennae are available. There will be a rush for them now.

stamina

Reaction score

i tried. Its HD clear. My dvb t2 tv detects both the grainy rooftop old channels between presets 1 to 10, and the Digital T2 channel presets from 800 to 900.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thats what i just dont understand.In general,all flats, new and old,have scv cable wall sockets readily installed in living room,and the new flats, in bedrooms as well. Why cant MDA then just turn the scv wall cable channels to HD? Isnt that better so that theres no need for new flat owners(with no rooftop antennas) to buy additional antenna to receive DVB T2?
I have my $2 but won't put it here...there is no value add..I would suggest such idea or discussion is best done elsewhere in more appropriate forums:s22:.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
buy lg lah for cleaner interface and value. Ips panel also good. Sony, expensive but just a little better in picture quality.

folks i really think he is an LG promoter. better take what he says with a lot of salt.

Last edited:

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Avoid using the fan metal grille, or for that matter, any electrical parts of electrical appliances. If the appliance turns faulty, the metal part may become live.

And yes, indoor antennae are available. There will be a rush for them now.

quite tempted to quickly get one to try. but then i suppose starhub would eventually have to carry it on its cable. subscribing to scv now so perhaps i dont really need it. itchy backside lah.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Believe sony one oso IPS cos viewing angle is 178*

non ips screen is 176*

Wrong. Sony's panels are likely to be either s-PVA, or if you believe some sites, another tech called PSA (haven't found out what that stands for).

The data you quoted above is just normal manufacturing stats. All panels are ard that range (176-178).

What people really look out for is the angle off centre at which contrast/brightness drop by half. That is another measurement not provided by manufacturers but if you read some review websites like hdtvtest.uk, you can get the data. And that is where ips differentiates itself from PVA. That said, ips has poorer black levels. Today, subject to viewing angle needs, PVA panels tend to offer better performance due to the contrast levels.

fengmins

Reaction score
Hello, anyone knows what if we continue using DVB-T (i.e. old tuners) will there still be any cutoff date for that ? Or all must change to using DVB-T2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.