Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
eeLsinneD

You should browse through the stickies. It is very beneficial for newbies like you to Hi Def

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot!
So all I'll have to do is buy myself a digital tuner, huh?
Yes, provided your wall plate has the digital signal or own antenna can receive the digital channels. The precise channels still not revealed.

By the way does the tuner work on CRT tvs? If not will have to spend money get a new tv for the living room... =/
Yes, but you have to watch out for the connections between the two. Most likely there will be hdmi output from the tuner, but you crt don't have hdmi terminal. As for composite/componet output, have to wait and see when the product is available.

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, provided your wall plate has the digital signal or own antenna can receive the digital channels. The precise channels still not revealed.

Yes, but you have to watch out for the connections between the two. Most likely there will be hdmi output from the tuner, but you crt don't have hdmi terminal. As for composite/componet output, have to wait and see when the product is available.

Thanks alot~!
I appreciate your informative replies and the fact you went through the trouble to google about my TV model. =)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot~!
I appreciate your informative replies and the fact you went through the trouble to google about my TV model. =)
You are most welcome. I understand the difficulties one faces when trying to google for unfamiliar info when even the search term is not certain. Nonetheless, you have included sufficient details in your query for a quick advice.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok... I have been googling around and still can't find an answer... Hope can find here...

You see, I bought a new SMART TV last Friday, and I forgot 1 important factor I should look out for - FULL HD.

I bought a Toshiba 32PX200E for $488 at the Audio House (they were having their 32nd Anniversary Sale, and since sg is going digital, forcing us to buy digital tvs, and I am doing a major makeover for my room, so I grabbed the chance to buy a new tv)

But after googling, i realized that my tv is HD Ready, not a full HD. And my brother helped test my tv, nothing that unlike the tv in his room, mine cannot switch to HD Channel (though he consoled me by saying that at least my screen display is better than his on analog channel)

Googling taught be only the diferences between both tvs, but never really tell me whether can HD Ready tv watch HD Channels. Some results say that HD Ready TVs can watch HD, just that they will be adjusted to the resolution the tv screen is capable of.

And hearing my brother comment that I cannot watch HD channel on my tv, I am becoming skeptical.

So does this mean my tv cannot watch tv channels when Singapore becomes full digital? Do I have to fork out another few hundred just to buy the DV Setup Box thingee in order to watch Digital signalled channels on this TV?

Sorry ah been living in CRT age for decades cos I poor... So yeah... 1st time being an LED tv owner... +_+

Audio house is always a no no place to shop.

S750WP

Reaction score
I am using Samsung Sync Master 2333HD to watch TV in my room, the Monitor has a DTV function but it always show no signal. Do I need a tuner?

tuckloong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Samsung Sync Master 2333HD to watch TV in my room, the Monitor has a DTV function but it always show no signal. Do I need a tuner?

u need a good antenna and but must depend whether the signal ish strong at ur place de....

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Those of u who are tuning to DVB-T signals, wanna ask u something.

Did MediaCorp change the location of the transmitters recently?

I ask this, cos recently I had to relocate my DIY directional antenna to another sweet spot as the previous location suddenly failed to be the sweet spot. :o

yxyxx8

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I ask this, cos recently I had to relocate my DIY directional antenna to another sweet spot as the previous location suddenly failed to be the sweet spot. :o

Yes it did. I cannot scan channels and had to switch position

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yes it did. I cannot scan channels and had to switch position

Thanks for confirming. :o

I was wondering why my HD5 recordings failed, so in the end it was due to no signal. :o

Luckily I had parallel recording from CH5. :o

suangern

Reaction score

It is still at Bukit Batok Hill. UHF Ch 38.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It is still at Bukit Batok Hill. UHF Ch 38.

It can be at the same premises but either the power of the transmitter was changed, or the location of the transmitter was changed, albeit slightly within the same premises.

This can make a big difference to the signal travel patterns.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Product Listing of DVB-T2 Receivers

Panasonic 13 tv models - stereo sound only;
Draco Set top box - stereo sound;

LG - 15 tv models - surround sound, no product info;
Samsung - 9 tv models - surround sound;
Sony - 13 tv models - surround sound.

Some Sony models were approved as early as in Apr 2013.

Source: DTV Label Mark

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
DVB -T2 Signal Coverage Concern

"...4 Given the massive scale of this nation-wide project, we will be progressively rolling out the digital broadcasting infrastructure. In other words, when MediaCorp begins its digital broadcast in December this year, some Singaporeans will be able to enjoy the benefits of Digital TV, while others may have to wait until full island coverage is completed. Further details will be announced by MediaCorp and the Media Development Authority (MDA) later this year..."

Full text: MCI's response to PQ on digital television

Raffles88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any place which sell the dvb-t2 usb dongle?

fuzzybear

Master Member
Reaction score
if dont have dvb receiver
we just hoot mio and hubstation will do right haha

too bad mio no NHK i want NHK

prosumer

Reaction score
Recently bought a DVB-T2 receiver box from ebay, scan and got a list of channels:

001 NDP
002 Beautiful Singapore
003 Taiji
004 CNN (scrambled)
005 BBC World (scrambled)
:
:
009 HBO (scrambled)
010 Fox Movies (scrambled)
:
:
018 Discovery Channel (scrambled)
:
:

Only the first 3 channels above are viewable but they are just looping and replaying the same clip. Where are the usual channel 5,8,news Asia, etc?

I am able to get the usual channels using an older USB PCTV stick on DVB-T.

Does it mean that the DVB-T2 box I bought is working properly? Need to wait till December 2013 to get those usually channels?

Thank you for any insights and pardon if the question is flawed.
Just want to know if that the DVB-T2 (seems to be made for Russia) is something I can use in future...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.