Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackygogogo

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only HD5 look nice and clean in big screen tv, the rest of digital look horrible at times especially river and forest scenes.

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. i doubt manufacturers will wanna do that~ too much man power & logistic required. Warranty is also a issue.

2. starhub already transmit digital signals in DVB-C long ago~ so far i only know for local tv sets, philips tv is able to recv DVB-C w/o STB, user can recv mediacorp channels in digital but not HD5 as it's encrypted~

wah never know...no wonder I realised one of my TV ish esp clear and almost HD like as compared to others connected to Starhub point without HD set up box....

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
wah never know...no wonder I realised one of my TV ish esp clear and almost HD like as compared to others connected to Starhub point without HD set up box....

Your TV has DVB-C tuner?

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we subscribe to singtel or starhub cable tv, do we still need a dvb-t2 receiver?

Thanks

No. Cable TV is already digital. No action required if you own a SCV or MioTV STB.

This move is also a good opportunity for people to jump to cable TV and watch better quality shows :D

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the crap content mediacrap has to offer.. I don't really give two hoots whether it goes digital or HD :D

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
2 things that make me wonder

1) Did the authorities spoke to all major manufacturers if there is a possibility of replacing exisitng TV tuner cards instead of buying the box which consumed electricity and supposingly requires a seperate remote control?
The major tv makers were all represented in the technical committee during the formulation of the standard for the dvb-t2 integrated receiver (aka tuner or set-top box).They were all aware of the business opportunities. As to whether they are doing it, it's a matter of business decision. Sunsetbay has expressed his view. In my opinion, there is no money for them to make as product life cycle gets shorter and shorter.

2) Did they spoke to or 'force' Starhub to allow us to receive digital channels through their points instead of purchasing a seperate antenna which again consumed electricity? My flat has rooftop antenna but unable to receive. I called HDB to repair and they simply reject my request, forcing me to make my own antenna.
More details on your hdb antennae please for my suggestion.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
seem like they want u to die die subscribe/buy setup box.some more change the technology from dvb-t to dvb-t2.a bit weird you make trial on September but wanna roll over on DEC.how to know good or not?IMO,currently most lcd/led tv with dvb-t will not be able to watch due to new technology implemented.
hai ya,do thing never think.
The trial was from Sep 2011.They have more than 2 years to fine tune. See:
Welcome to UBIFRANCE - The French Trade Commission in Singapore
Current tv sets available in Singapore are not dvb-t2 sg compliant.
1 more thing for those using antenna,are they able to get to those channel?if not, having setup box will bring your electricity and the subscription ===$$$$$$
I wrote to MediaCorp in Jan this year to find out on which chan/frequency they will be trasmitting the new signals. They have yet to reply to me. Whether there is a need for additional antenna or modification is not known until the information is available. Regardless of the transmission, new tv set with dvb t2 standard or set top box will be required except for pay tv customers.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I should throw in my 2 cents worth to make it clearer. I wrote in a year ago but no reply. wrote in again a month ago and bingo a reply. You can clearly see where this whole thing is headed from the reply.

Dear Sir

Thank you for your feedback.

MediaCorp has tested the DVB-T2 standard and the results show that households will be able to receive digital TV signals if they connect their existing TV to an indoor antenna and a set top box. The design of the antenna now comes in compact form such as a bar, frame or rod. Other countries such as Germany, Netherlands and USA also use indoor antennas for free-to-air (FTA) digital TV signals.

The current HDB rooftop master antennae (MATV) system was designed to receive analogue TV signals and will not able to receive digital FTA TV signals. There are no plans to upgrade the MATV system as there are other available means to receive the digital FTA channels.

This option of receiving digital FTA TV via the existing StarHub cable point involves delivery of services on a commercial infrastructure. Non-subscribers would have to connect digital cable STBs to their TVs and may incur service fees. The antenna solution enables consumers to receive digital FTA TV without the need to pay monthly charges. Starhub cable is not suitable as the long-term platform for non-subscribers to receive digital FTA.

We are mindful of the importance of free-to-air (FTA) TV to all households, and will carefully monitor the take-up rate of digital TV and ensure that as Singapore migrates to digital TV, households can continue to receive FTA TV signals. To ensure a smooth transition, MediaCorp will simultaneously broadcasting the existing analogue signals for their FTA channels for at least two years from the start of digital transmission in end-2013. This will give households time to get accustomed to receiving their TV signals digitally.

MDA will work closely with MediaCorp, as well as major manufacturers and retailers on an educational campaign to help consumers prepare for the digital switchover. MDA will also work closely with various stakeholders and grassroots organisations to determine various options for all segments of the public to seamlessly migrate to digital TV.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on 9728 9877 or email me at Zoey_MOH@mda.gov.sg should you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely;

Zoey Moh

Manager (Planning)

Digital Broadcasting Deployment Office Division

Media Development Authority

Note: Please do not change the subject header when you reply to this email. The subject header is used by MDA for filing of related correspondences with you.

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I should throw in my 2 cents worth to make it clearer. I wrote in a year ago but no reply. wrote in again a month ago and bingo a reply. You can clearly see where this whole thing is headed from the reply.

Wah like that really must have a scheme in place to lower the cost for the antenna and boxes liao

Soul77

Reaction score
Is the antenna for DVB-T and DVB-T2 different? because I can get existing HD5 from the HDB rooftoop antenna.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the antenna for DVB-T and DVB-T2 different? because I can get existing HD5 from the HDB rooftoop antenna.
No difference. Over-the-air tv singals are tranmitted within the channels allocations in bands I/III VHF and bands IV/V UHF. HD5 is using chan 38. If the future dvb t2 programmes are transmited through chan 38, you will receive them provided you have the dvb t2 compliant tuner/set top box. Same applies to chan29 which is currently used to tranmit other MediaCorp dvb t programmes.

Last edited:

KardBoard

Reaction score
the problem is will they transmit thru out the island?not all area able to receive the channel thru the antenna when the dvb-t was in trial.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the problem is will they transmit thru out the island?not all area able to receive the channel thru the antenna when the dvb-t was in trial.

That's my concern too. Still remember those digital TV in the bus? The reception is so poor and finally they are all gone. vs what you see in Hong Kong. They are doing it very well.

kakaBoBo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any usb tuner that support the dvb-t2 format ?
cheap and good one.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
than the record DVR how heheh

It will come out in due time.

But in the meantime, can also set up a HTPC and install a DVB-T2 tuner card to record programmes to watch later.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if use RCA cable is fine right??
i still using crt tv LOL... wont change until is spoilt.. HD use what cable ah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.