Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

infocus

Reaction score
I suggest we got to be patient. It take awhile before it would be implemented island wide.

from now till end of the year not much time left. I wonder whether IDA will fine Mediacorp if DVB-T2 transmission island-wide by year end is not rolled out completely. It was after all a 1.5 year project timeframe (announced june 2012)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
from now till end of the year not much time left. I wonder whether IDA will fine Mediacorp if DVB-T2 transmission island-wide by year end is not rolled out completely. It was after all a 1.5 year project timeframe (announced june 2012)
Broadcasting is under the purview of MDA.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regulatory body in Singapore means nothing. At most you get a fine. Just like recent Singtel case. Believe they pass their audit every year anyway.

infocus

Reaction score
Regulatory body in Singapore means nothing. At most you get a fine. Just like recent Singtel case. Believe they pass their audit every year anyway.

i see that the government's stance in ensuring service to the people is very different from yesteryears. if fine, i am sure it's not going to be cheap

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
DVB-T2 Launch Date Still Unknown

Deafening silence. The dvb-t2 transmission is scheduled for Dec 2013. Yet with less than 2 weeks to go, there is still no official announcement.

Given that other agencies such as LTA would have big PR exercises before projects completion such as MRT stations, expressway and road widening, the silence is surprising.

The other surprise is that tv makers are not publicising their new tv sets' dvb-t2 readiness - silent so that unsuspecting buyers do not realise that the old models that they buy will be obsolete soon, as far as the digital tuner is concerned?

petetherock

Reaction score
Silence implies they aren't ready...
Silence by dealers indicate they have lots of stock to clear..

Anyway, no rush, let the version 1 firmware and other issues iron out before you jump in..

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Silence implies they aren't ready...
Silence by dealers indicate they have lots of stock to clear..
:s22:

Anyway, no rush, let the version 1 firmware and other issues iron out before you jump in..
From what I read in other threads, it seems that buyers or potential buyers are more concerned with PQ and other qualities rather than dvb-t2 readiness.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
This is the reply from MediaCorp when I enquired on the channels to be used for the new dvb-t2 transmission, to prepare our condo's matv for the new format:

All our 7 MediaCorp’s channel will be available on 3 frequencies during the Digital Switch On. The three frequencies are Ch27 (518 to 526MHz), Ch29 (534 to 542MHz) and Ch31 (550 to 558MHz).

fusion89x

Reaction score
Samsung TV

Hi, am new around here.

just wanna ask a few questions. i just recently bought a samsung 40" 40f5500 model tv. i plugged my TV in using the RCA wire into the wall mounted point and i did a scan. all i could get was TV1 and one sport channel, Normal Channel 5,8,U. What am i actually missing to receive HD5? i believe the TV that i bought has a decoder inside it.

does the problem lies with my TV set?

chuppachop

Reaction score
U can start reading from post #1, the wall mounted point connects you to the SCV cable network, which does not have HD5.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, am new around here.

just wanna ask a few questions. i just recently bought a samsung 40" 40f5500 model tv. i plugged my TV in using the RCA wire into the wall mounted point and i did a scan. all i could get was TV1 and one sport channel, Normal Channel 5,8,U. What am i actually missing to receive HD5? i believe the TV that i bought has a decoder inside it.

does the problem lies with my TV set?

U can start reading from post #1, the wall mounted point connects you to the SCV cable network, which does not have HD5.

The SCV cable network has all the digital free-to-air MediaCorp channels which can be tuned by a TV that has DVB-C tuner. HD5 used to be encrypted but is now unencrypted like the other SD channels.

If your TV is a DVB-T2/T only tuner then u will need to connect to an aerial antenna to receive HD5 and other digital channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.